PDA

View Full Version : Haven't used the mag in a while...what's new??

Pannikattk
06-20-2003, 11:40 AM
What's up fellas,

I have an Automag that I bought new back in 1996 with the following mods:

-Smart Parts camo splash kit w/ expansion chamber
-Double trigger
-Black powerfeed body

I haven't played in a few years and a few friends are getting me back into it, so I'd like to know what mods are a "must have" in order for me to keep up with today's guns.
I'd like to go to HPA eventually, but have absolutely no idea what the difference is between a 48 cubic inch or a 68, etc. so any guidance in that respect would be appreciated.

One more thing, I still have the velocity adjuster on my valve that requires the use of an allen wrench, where can I find the part that allows me to turn it by hand?

Thanks!

Dayspring
06-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Well, the difference between the 48ci and the 68ci is size. bigger number, bigger tank. They also come in 3000psi and 4500psi.

A few MUST have items-
Level 10 Anti-chop kit. If you haven't heard about this, then you haven't been in paintball for a very long time.

Intelliframe- aluminum double trigger kit. Nice pull, classy & you can hook it up to your warp feed or hopper to spin on every trigger pull.

X-Valve- aluminum ReTro valve. Kicks the trigger back to firing position. ZERO shootdown. Comes stock with level 10 kit.

ULE Body- cocker threaded aluminum body. Light, colored, vert feed.

Pannikattk
06-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Well, the difference between the 48ci and the 68ci is size. bigger number, bigger tank. They also come in 3000psi and 4500psi.

How many shots with a 48ci as opposed to a 68ci? Would I need 3000 psi or 4500 psi? I think I read that the Automag valve has a max pressure rating of 3000 psi.

How about the adjustment knob on the back of the regulator? Is this a modification that I can purchase online?

Thanks

Dayspring
06-20-2003, 01:58 PM
The 3000 and 4500 rating are how high the tank is filled to. The output is around 800-850 (on a preset). Adjustables can do 0-1200psi output. Gun doesn't see full tank pressure.

Rule of thumb is

10 shots/cubic inch on a 3000psi system.
15 shots/cubic inch on a 4500psi system.
(Your mileage may vary)

Only you know what you need, but My best advice is a 68/4500. Good balance between size and capacity.

As for the adjustment knob, not as far as I know. All the ReTro/X-valves require the 1/8 inch allen key to adjsut the velocity.

Pannikattk
06-20-2003, 04:16 PM
thanks for all the info!!!

here's what I'm referring to in terms of adjustment:

http://www.qnet.com/~mike/mm/mmleft3.jpg

Is this a home-made type mod, or something I can buy??

Thanks!

Dayspring
06-20-2003, 05:28 PM
That's something you can buy. Check your local pro-shop.

FYI- if you ever go to HPA, you do NOT want an additional regulator on the gun. Tank is one, gun is the other. Anything more and you introduce flow problems.