PDA

View Full Version : Emag manual mode saves the day...

Evil Bob
06-20-2003, 02:53 PM
I've been prompted by a couple people to share this story with the rest of you.

I played at Jailhouse Paintball in Monterey, California, this past weekend, it was a blast playing on their combo indoor/outdoor field that used to be the old Provost Marshall jailhouse at Fort Ord.

I live in Santa Cruz, which is 50 miles north of Monterey, I had prepped everything on Friday night to go play. Set out everying on the couch for a quick pickup and shuffle to the car Sat morning to make it to the field by 9 am.

Now this is where the conspiracy theory kicks in, my wife didn't want me to go play at all last weekend, so I highly suspect that she stole the battery charger for my Emag sometime during the night, thinking that if my marker doesn't work, I won't play. On top of this, she keeps pestering me (hugging and kissing me) Saturday morning as I'm trying to pack the car and leave the house. The final clue that this was intentional was when I came home to find the battery charger coiled up and sitting on my pillow on the bed.

Anyway, back to the story... I stop in Watsonville for gas, a 20 minute drive from the house, and go digging through the gear looking for the battery charger, can't find it. I call the house and ask the wife if she sees it lying on the couch, she says "nope, its not on the couch" which was the truth because she had hidden it somewhere else. I said "[insert your favorite expletive here]" and she said "does that mean you're coming home?" and I said "no, I'm still going, I'll figure something out, I'll throw the balls by hand if I have to". It would have taken another 20 mins to drive home and would have made me easily an hour late to the field, meaning I'd miss the first couple of games of the day, so I decided to just hit the road and wing it.

Arrived at the field in time to make the first game. During the thrid game, the low battery signal appears in the LED display and the battery pretty much gave out completely by the end of the game. This basicly meant death as I run both my HALO TE and my warp off of the emag's battery. Fortunately, I was prepared in the event the warp went down and had brought the CF ULE body and ULE rail so I could remove the warp entirely and keep playing. I chucked some AA's into the HALO and swapped the bodies and rails between games and played the rest of the day on manual mode.

When I got home the wife asked me how it went, and I told her I played every game and had a great time. She asked me if I had borrowed a gun. So I asked her "now why would I have to borrow a gun to play?" and she comes back with "because you forgot your battery charger here at the house and your battery died?" and I said "yep, it died, but I kept playing anyway" and kissed her on the forehead. She got that look on her face that said "curses, foiled again".

So the morals to this story are:

1) "my wife is truely evil and I should most likely do some serious revisioning to my will and write her competely out of it for fear of her trying to kill me for the money at a later date"

2) "manual mode is a godsend, I don't know where I would be without it... actually yes I do, I'd be at home with my wife instead of playing paintball"

-Evil Bob

FalconGuy016
06-20-2003, 03:06 PM
lol! Thats great

Why doesnt your wife want you to play :)?

muirtach
06-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Yeah, why didn't she want you to play?

davidb
06-20-2003, 03:15 PM
my wife is truely evil and I should most likely do some serious revisioning to my will and write her competely out of it for fear of her trying to kill me for the money at a later date

You mean to tell me that after your wife took your charger, (knowing full well, I don't doubt, of the possibility that you would simply buy another gun/battery/charger to feed your addiction) simply to spend time with you... You would dare to presume that she cares more about money than she does about you? I say shame on you sir! :mad: ;) :D

she keeps pestering me (hugging and kissing me)

Would that we should all be thus pestered. :p

Consider yourself lucky to have a loving, if somewhat devious, wife. And some wicked bad paintball equipment. :D

Evil Bob
06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
She took the charger in the hopes that I'd lose a good percentage of the game day and just give up and come home early, which would have happened if I had to run to radio shack (which didn't open until 10am).

We're rapidly approaching our 15th wedding aniversary (end of the month), the closer we get, the more amorous she is becoming. We'll be spending the weekend of the 28th at Hearst Castle to celebrate 15 loving years, she found a nice hotel nearby with an in-suite hot tub :)

She confessed today over lunch that she wanted to spend time with me on Sat because I pawned the kids off on my sister Friday night :) My sister took them to go see "Finding Nemo" on Sat and gave my wife and I some much needed quiet time on Sunday. The wife knew I was going to go play on Saturday, she just wanted to make the most of the weekend alone, and I can sympathize with that, but I needed to get out and shoot some people for my own sanity sake. I came home a much more willing companion to her chick flicks and snuggling in front of the TV after a hard day of paintballing.

-Evil Bob

Carbon
06-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Evil Bob I reff there. Hope you had a good time, i dont remember seein anyone with a Emag recently, it might of been an off day for me. I was wondering what day u went, im usually there every saturday and sunday. In any case the next time ya stop by lemme check that Emag out. Mags aren't an common occurence there.

In anycase if ya got suggestions on how the reffing could be better, speak-up, i just hope you did not have the unfortunate chance of being reffed by one of the teenage morts.

Anyway have fun at the castle! And happy anniversary to ya both!

Jack & Coke
06-20-2003, 07:42 PM
I got news for you Bob...

She didn't take your "battery charger" to keep you from playing paintball...

:p j/k ;)

SpongeBobSquarePants
06-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Jake and coke-Major props on that one bro that was off the hizzle.

Mighty Mike
06-20-2003, 08:44 PM
A few of the Northern CA AOers have talked about having an AO day at the Monterey Jail House. I think there's going to be a special 24 hour paintball game there in August?

SIGSays
06-20-2003, 08:52 PM
lesson learned? don't get married.. HAHA

Halliday
06-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago, except without the amourous wife and missing charger. It was all my fault.......

I have been reffing more this year than ever. I'm lucky if I get to play 1 full day a month, and that's at the same field I work at. So if they are short handed and I'm there trying to play.... well out comes the orange REF shirt. That's my setup trying to explain how bad I wanted to play that day.

So, I was at the field playing RecBall. The E-Mag was working great, until... I tripped. The grass in the woods had grown about 2' tall, and while on the breakout I was plowing through some grass and tripped over a root. I landed palms down, giving the E-Mag a good slam into the ground.

I picked myself up and made it to cover. Then I checked out my E-Mag. Other than a bit of dirt it seemed fine. A few seconds later I found a target and started unloading on him. About 1 ball came out and then my E-Mag just clicked.

I dug into my cover some more and checked for the problem. Detent, fine. Balls, loaded. Air, full. Still set on "E" mode. I tried a couple more shots, and was only getting 1 shot out and then misfires. I was stumped. I kept messing with it a few more seconds, then I had an idea!

I flipped it to Hybrid, and it shot fine. I took out the two guys on my right and swept up the field. I ran it all day on Hybrid and did not have any more problems. I had always used E-mode before, but I think I kinda like Hybrid-mode now.

The moral of my story is, even when my E-Mag went down all I had to do was make my brain say, "Flip the switch dummy" and I was back in business. No other marker has that backup and it kept me playing in one of the few game days I seem to get anymore.

(PS: I'm still not totally sure what's up with my E-Mag. When I was working on it at home I saw the "Low Batt" signal. I've never seen that before, and after charging it worked. I've only ever charged it once. I'm thinking it didn't have enough juice for E-mode, but it did for Hybrid. All the internal parts were still in place so it have just been a dead battery.)

Carbon
06-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Mighty Mike - yea there is a scenario game comin this august i belive, it is A Time Bandits scenario game. Its being produced by Black Cat productions. The last scenario game, Tommorow Never Dies, yielded folks from the east coat and from the south.