PDA

View Full Version : Making an intelliframe "fatter"

Python14
06-20-2003, 11:37 PM
I've been trying to figure out how to make my own custom personalized Python Edition retromag and to ice the cake, I want to make a customized intelliframe. My plan is to take an intelliframe and first strip the anno off with Drano. Second step, cut the trigger guard half way off, so it resembles a single trigger without a bottom. Next, using my tig welding skills :D , I'll reattached the bottom of the trigger guard so I have a single trigger intelliframe. Next I will cut and grind the trigger to fit. I'll use my dremel to grind all the rough out and make it look good. Step next, I will return to the tig welder with some filler rods and hardface a curved back on. I'm thinking it will be roughly the shape of a clamshell timmy frame. I'll finish it up with the grinder and polisher, then sandblast, then get it annodized black locally.

Does this sound alright? Anyone done something similar before? pics? I want feedback!

Dave
06-21-2003, 12:38 PM
If anything, make sure you know what your doing w/ welding aluminum.

-Dave

Python14
06-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Don't worry, I am very good with aluminum. I wish I could say the same about cast iron.

Mossman
06-22-2003, 02:20 PM
I don't know anything about it, but how would the welds stand up to/look after being anodized?

Python14
06-22-2003, 03:53 PM
It will be just as strong as the base aluminum because all the welds are just more aluminum. Plus, I can make it look flawless. Like it's supposed to be that way.

chizle97
06-23-2003, 02:31 PM
very cool idea. You could just Hack a smaller section off the trigger guard ona then just bend the other section to the frame so it dosent have a weld mark in the middle of the trigger guard, just an idea. good luck

f3rr3+
06-24-2003, 01:24 AM
great idea, all i can say is that i want one :P

magmonkey
06-29-2003, 04:38 PM
the only problem I can see (that is almost unaviodable)

is that you will get an inconsistant color annodizing over

weld due to the impurities and different grades of

aluminum, it will probably be a noticible difference most

likely a greyish tint to the welded areas. other than that

go for it.

sneakyhacker420
07-04-2003, 07:22 PM
just buy a fricken old skool aluminum trigger frame from AGD and then do the clamshell on the back of that

they only cost $20

and then you dont have to waste so much time on a god damn intelliframe

another thing... DO NOT USE DRANO TO STRIP ANO

IT WILL RAPE THE TOLERANCES AND MAKE EVERYTHING LOOSE-FITTING

even ask personman, he has experience from stripping his mag freak back