PDA

View Full Version : banjo

gimp
06-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Well, I've got my heart set on getting a banjo. I've wanted one for almost 9 months now. I havn't really looked into it that much though. I just know that they sound cool, and they're really expensive. I'm gonna get a cheap one, like, 200-300 dollar range, possibly cheaper. On pretty much every website that I've been to, they basically say that these cheap banjos suck, and are a waste of money. I realize that, but I want to get into banjos without spending a buttload of cash. I just spent 200 bucks on guitar parts! I'm poor now! I really have one main question. What is the difference between and open back, and a resonator banjo? I know how they look, but I wouldn't be able to pick out the sound. I'm on a lousy 28.8 connection right now, and I'm to lazy to use kazaa to look for different sound clips. I have my ideas of what each kind sounds like, but they're probably wrong.

What kind of banjo do the gusy from deliverence use? I've never seen the movie, but I know the song (dueling banjos).

Thanks! Eric

cphilip
06-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Well Dearing and Gibson still about the tops in Banjo's. Mainly its the Bell and its construcion that makes the sound what it is. From what little I know of them. Often the heavier the better. Bronze Cast in some special ways and shapes.

If you had been at SC AO meet you could have listened to the National Champion Banjo player for 2001. That one is held out in Winfield Kansas. You can only win it once and you are then barred from futher competition. He was also Banjo Champion from the year befores competition at Merle Watson Festival. Again you can only win that one once. He will problably be back this years AO meet party.

gimp
06-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I ended up getting a cheap deering, it's great though. Lots of fun. If I lived a little closer to SC, I'd go definetly go. That guy sounds impressive. I just want an excuse to sit on my porch and drink moonshine. Now I just need to find some moonshine...

pbguy888
06-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Heh win I was younger and lived in redneckville me and my friend ran moonshine with his dad :D (no Im not kidding...)

pbguy888
06-22-2003, 07:40 PM
O and if you are ever in Waxhaw , NC (where Andrew Jackson was born) go down town(where the anteek stores are) into the store call "The Junction" Go down stairs , and turn to your left. Go in the first first little room on the left. And there is a moonshine machince thingy :D

TransMan
06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Moon shine hmmmmm....... :D :D

I can get it but i wouldnt want to mail it to you...

*EDIT* why the hell would you run moonshine its legal now there is no reason to run moonshine.....:rolleyes:

Army
06-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I used to live with most of a blues band, and they were teaching me to play a 5 string Banjo.

There is a teeny tiny small problem with a 5 string....you need a left thumb for the fifth:(