PDA

View Full Version : Barrels?

cperrone
09-02-2001, 12:37 PM
I bought a new Automag, and I love it. I have the stock barrel and was considering buying an aftermarket one. The problem is that there is so much rhetoric out there on which barrel is best that it's hard to know what the true answer is. I have made a couple of assumptions based on facts I have heard. In terms of superior accuracy, efficiency, and range there are a couple of factors. First, velocity consistency is extremely important. Second, the barrel should be between 8" and 10". Third, the paint must match the bore. Finally, which is where I am confused, the issue of barrel fade or porting in the last two inches of the barrel. (This issue was brought up in the Instructional Video.) Supposedly, with the Crown Point barrel or porting at the end, this allows the ball to enter the air gradually, rather than it entering like a water balloon hitting a brick wall. Has this theory been debunked? What I really want to know is what is the best barrel for the Automag? Does this porting at the end really make a difference? Some have said the 12" Aluminum J&J, Smart Parts, and other comparable barrels are all good. I just don't know whether the porting makes a difference, or whether any other barrels are better than the stock. I'd appreciate input from both players and Airgun's Tech people.

mykroft
09-02-2001, 12:49 PM
A well finished barrel with a good paint-to-barrel match is all you really need. Porting seems only to make a difference to volume(sound), while on a 2-piece, the back length matters most.

Recommendations for barrels:

1-piece: Lapco Bigshot/Autospirit, CP Aluminum, J&J Ceramic.

2-Piece: All American, Boomstick

Kit's
Freak-if you shoot lots of different paint (8 inserts, 1 tip on full kit)

CP Pro Barrel-If you like to tune barrel length to field type. (5 different bore backs, 4 different length tips on full kit)

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA,14" JnJ Ceramic, AGD Intelliframe Blade, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

OldSchoolMag
09-02-2001, 03:47 PM
If you can shell out the $239 that the Freak costs (price check, aisle 2?) I'd DEFINATLY pick one up. Personally, I switch from tourny, to rec, to scenario, and even if the paint stays consistant (which any seasoned player knows just does not happen) I switch fields and paints so much that it helps to have all those inserts and options. Also, where I live, the weather makes a big differnce - hot and humid, balls swell up. Increase bore size in a snap. Now, if I only owned my OWN Freak, and didn't have to borrow my friends... *sigh*

------------------
68 Classic w/Powerfeed
Smart Parts Magic Box Installed on A.I.R.
Green Small Bore All American 12"
KAPP Air Through Grip & Drop Foward
67ci 3000psi Chubby Nitro
9volt VL
AGD user for life

magmanpaintball
09-02-2001, 04:15 PM
You should get a lapco bigshot/autospirit they are very accurate.

------------------
68 automag classic
chrome p/f body
14inch pmi ceramik barrel
Lapco Bigshot
68 4500 psi nitro duck tank