PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify these pumps

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Both of these pumps have been in the local field's pro-shop for a few years. He has no idea what either of them are. I know you guys love a mystery.

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 07:52 PM
second pic.

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 07:54 PM
This one has some kind and a threaded feed neck.

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 07:55 PM
second pic...

LittlePaintballBoy
06-22-2003, 08:14 PM
just a guess, sheridans?

M-a-s-sDriver
06-22-2003, 08:15 PM
The 2nd and 3rd one looks like an original style phantom, almost sure about that. It's beat up pretty bad.
Brent Jackson

-=Squid=-
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
That last one actually made me think of an OLD pump automag. could it be?

Doc Nickel
06-22-2003, 08:47 PM
The first one is a Carter Tri-Car. Pretty standard higher-end Nelson-based pump from the late '80s. Looks in good shape too.

The second is a mongrel- it has an old-style first-generation CCI Phantom top half, which is the old "unibody" (non-removable barrel) design. The feed port was threaded so you could screw in an aluminum CCI stick feeder, or a short nipple to use direct feeds. Either one has a "locking ring" that goes with it to lock the tube into place.

The silver middle rail looks homebrew, which make sense as it was probably made to adapt the Crosman pellet-gun grip frame to the Nelson upper half. Crosman grip frames were only used on early original Brass Eagle (not the later Stingray/Rainmaker Brass Eagle- they're two different companies) markers like the Nightmares.

The sight arrangement, which appears to be glued on, was an add-on accessory... the "Rifleman", perhaps? The back half had a thumb lever so you could "notch" the rear sight up or down quickly, to compensate for targets at different ranges.

An interesting collection.

Doc.

Automaggin2
06-22-2003, 08:49 PM
wow look nice. Yea i would have guessed carter for hte first one too, i was gonna say the second one is a grey ghost but reciever is to long and grip if funky

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks Doc. Second Question.

Are any of them worth anything? The new field owner has had them for a while and they were passed on when he bought the shop from the old owner. He's interested in selling them but had no idea what, if any worth, they had.

Doc Nickel
06-22-2003, 09:00 PM
The mongrel is junk parts. Usable, yes, but not worth a lot. I'd say $50.

The Carter is worth a little more. At the time, Carter was mass-producing them, so they're nowhere near as valuable as the later customs and handmade Desert Ducks, and so on, but they're still something of a rarity. Depending on the buyer, $150 to $250.

I'd be interested in both, if they're available.

Doc.

Load SM5
06-22-2003, 09:06 PM
I'll e-mail him and ask him Doc.

Thanks again.

bacci paintball
06-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Doc,
You sure thats a tricar?
I thought all tricars were side cocking, not undercocking?
http://www.sonic.net/~baccifam/Paintball/Paintball%20Guns/tricar/tricardiaghighqual.jpg
-Bacci Paintball

Dryden
06-23-2003, 01:42 AM
Doc's pretty close, but ...

The first pic does look like a Carter pump, but it's not the Tri-Car. The later picture posted by bacci shows the Tri-Car model with the blue trigger frame. I know, I owned one (and still have it *somewhere*), purchased from I&I Sports sometime before 1993 at a purchase price of around $200 - $250. They were very well crafted markers, with a smooth pump action and only minor shootdown in heavy action. The first pic clearly shows the Carter ribbed pump and trigger frame design, as well as the bolt-on-top sight rail which were all original Carter parts. The blue framed Tri-Car was the 'cocking-rod left' released in 92-93 (there was a feature article on that marker in Action Pursuit if you can find the back issue). The 'cocking-rod under' marker was produced after this in response to the popularity of the Phantom's design, so I'd date the marker in the first picture at around late '93 to early '94.

*edit*
Looking at that pic again, the 12-gram is one piece to the body, not a screw in adapter. Could this be a Carter custom or maybe one marketed for stock class events? Because it looks like mid 90's pump design and Carter craftsmanship using 80's technology.
*end edit*

Doc's right-on with the second pump. That is definately a Phantom pump and body with a homebrew rail holding a Crosman trigger frame. That's the exact same trigger frame I had on my Brass Eagle Nightmare pump (my first marker), right down to the crummy, plastic, wood-toned grips.

Doc Nickel
06-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Bacci's post made me rethink it too. You're right Dry, it's not a Tri-Car, but you're too late- it's actually a Carter Comp, which would date from '89 or '90.

In fact... Yep, just checked my 1990 I&I Sports catalog. Carter Comp 1990. Shows the same undercocker and one-piece 12-gram changer/valvebody. They list a price of $369.95 (!)

(Of course, they also list the Sniper-2 at $429.95... I&I has always been something of a "price leader"...)

Proof positive- the photo's identical.

Doc.

Webmaster
06-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah - I was going to guess its a cater - or a NW gun - but it looked more like an early carter comp...

I agree with doc - the other one is phatom/nelspot parts butchred together - ew...

I would be intersted in the carter - as I am sure other colletors would be - send him my email if you want.

hitech
06-23-2003, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine still has his carter comp. I don't remember that "quick" change thing in the back, but I'll look again.

FaSSt
06-23-2003, 07:05 PM
The first one is an NW89, I think. It's a much cheaper Carter knock-off. It does seem to be in god condition, plus it has the changer, so I would say maybe $200-225 or so.

The second looks like a Phantom mated with a Nelspot 007. I would pay $5 for it myself...