PDA

View Full Version : Cocker or PPS Stroker

Crighton
06-23-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm looking at getting a little variety into my marker collection. I've got about 380 to spend on something new.

I'm looking at getting a stock v feed 2003 wgp autococker. My other thought is for the same amount of money I could have my sheridan p68-at converted to a PPS Stroker. I'm not looking to stick a ton of money into this marker so the upgrade parts available for the cocker won't play any part in my choice. Which do you think is a better marker and why?

Don't answer mag ether I already own enough mags.

ogre55
06-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Are you looking for another semi or a pump?

Ogre

Crighton
06-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Semi of course both the cocker and stroker are semi.

dropkick1
06-23-2003, 03:42 PM
the stroker, i've shot one of glenns personal ones and its sweet not to mention its custom and i think a more well built marker.

ken

lew
06-23-2003, 03:55 PM
If I were you, I'd build a custom cocker. That way it has everything you want, nothing you don't. Palmer's semi auto's are good, but they are not that fast and not that adjustable. Although, If I had the money I'd buy a Typhoon.

Crighton
06-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by lew
If I were you, I'd build a custom cocker. That way it has everything you want, nothing you don't. Palmer's semi auto's are good, but they are not that fast and not that adjustable. Although, If I had the money I'd buy a Typhoon.

Never owned a cocker before not sure if I want to jump into the deep end like that.

askman
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
typhoon all the way. You can find used for about 350. I love mine. (2x ser#) It is loud (not ported), but great marker...

Jerhew
06-23-2003, 09:29 PM
i guess it really depends on how much you want to fuss with things...
if you don't feel like upgrading, adjusting, retiming... fiddling
just do the stroker
palmer will set it up and as long as you don't screw with it, it'll stay timed forever(well more or less :D )

and for the record, the whole "palmer's aren't as fast" thing is bs so don't listen to that
my typhoon rips

Muzikman
06-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Either route you go you'll get a gun that shoots. If you get the cocker you are looking at a mass produced gun where as you look at the Stroker, you are getting a custom build hand made gun. Now, that being said, there are down sides to stokers built from a P68, mainly the valve and hammer. I have a Stroker built off of a SB Piranha and although it is a great gun, I find myself not using it all that much and playing with my Palmerized cocker the most. Also, since it's a Palmer gun, any major repairs will have to go back to Palmers, unless you really know what you are doing. A cocker on the other hand, just about any monkey can fix.

beefstew
06-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Stroker.
Cockers break. If you dont know what your doing its pretty complicated.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
06-24-2003, 08:18 AM
The Cocker is better in almost every way except one large one, uniqueness.

There are easily approaching 1/4 million cockers out there. They are at almost every field and are at almost any major gathering...

This means they are common, maybe not spyder/tippmann common but common nonetheless. BUT! This also means that they are fixable almost anywhere. And the stock 2k3s are excellent buys.

Az, www.air-powered.com maybe a lil biased

Brak
06-24-2003, 11:49 AM
id go stroker. a stock cocker, no matter how nice the body is, is going to need some upgrading before it shoots nice. with a stroker you already got some nice custom work and a gun that is unique, and shoots damn well. plus, you dont want to look like all those cocker tools running around nowadays. if you really want a cocker than youll have to dump some money into it

AzrealDarkmoonZ
06-24-2003, 02:11 PM
And what money does a stock cocker need invested into it? Other than the normal essentials, air system, barrel, hopper.

The marker itself runs incredibly well, set the velocity and you should be good to go.

Az

lew
06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Well said Az. Cockers are the ultimate with "fiddle factor." I think that Palmer's guns are quite boring. Nothing to tune and not much to mess around with. Great shooters, though.

JAM
06-25-2003, 08:42 AM
And I have to add that i finally got a mechanical cocker and a couple things- it just plain rocks- it's fun to shoot, it's light as hell, easy on paint and it's nowhere NEAR as difficult to set up as i had been told. I love mags, I love angels and i love cockers, anyone who tells you cockers break down and are impossible to maintain is just plain ignorant. Looking at it from this side, there are more myths out there about cockers than there are about mags.

Upgrade parts are plentiful and affordable. My first day with it (it was used) I had to replace the valve and 3way which involves pretty much breaking it down all the way. i was back up and running in under an hour.. 95% of cocker probs are from people screwing with them and not having a clue about what they are doing. it's really very simple and once you understand the principle, there are usually a couple of different ways to correct problems. just read a couple 'net articles about timing and maintenance and you are set.

oh, and back to your topic, i say get the cocker- easily available parts.

UThomas
06-25-2003, 09:53 AM
I would definitely get the cocker over a Palmers gun if you want performance. I had a typhoon for several years and though it was cool looking, in every other way I would pick a hinge cocker over it (weight, speed, upgradability, accuracy, etc). Just my opinion as someone who has owned both.

Jerhew
06-25-2003, 06:30 PM
ok you're right about weight and upgradablity...
typhoons are heavy
but i don't agree with speed...
i have a double trigger with pro-touch(trigger job)
i think it rocks just as much as any hinge out there
after all it is a hinge :D
and accuracy
pfft
maybe there's something wrong with your 'phoon or something
but mine is far more accurate than my last cocker was
if you were to break it down into components...
a palmer stabilizer is much more consistant than the ergo reg
palmer rock...same thing...
the 3 ways...eh i guess they're about the same now...but compared to the '98 cocker i had... the palmer blew it away

AzrealDarkmoonZ
06-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Accuracy is generally a factor of a well tuned marker and a barrel to paint match. Although Palmer claims that valve to barrel match is the more important all evidence I have seen locally, ie taken with a grain of salt, points to a good barrel + good paint = good precision, since accuracy is a very hard to pin down term in paintball.

Unfortunatly with the Palmer Typhoon we had it was to large for our 686 paint.

The Rock vs. the Sledgehammer, really other than the external adjustment I have found very little difference in the two.

3 way, I like the QS better but the stock is a fine piece of equipment.

Not all hinges are made the same either. Stabalizer is a better regulator than the stock WGP, mainly due to external adjustment, but that is not stock equipment on a palmer marker.

The 97 cockers were much much different than the current 2k3 cockers. Valving, 3way, Trigger, dimensions, ect. The 2k3 is an excellent out of the box marker, again I reiterate. Wiegh uniqueness vs price/availability/adjustment. The Cocker will "win" when comparing features, but on the same boat a ULE Emag and a Xmag are very similiar but the XMags are much more highly sought after due to the uniquness. The other major downer the cocker as is the resale value is generally low. Of course that means you can buy a nicely upgraded one for cheap...

Az

Jerhew
06-25-2003, 11:46 PM
well 2k3 cockers are A LOT nicer than 98's were
i guess there really isn't as much of a difference as there used to be between a custom palmer and a stock 2k3 cocker
peformance wise...

it really all comes down to one thing
PERSONAL PREFERENCE

yah no one wants to hear that, but it' truth with 100% of these ______ OR ______ threads

you have to try both if you can and decide for yourself
i guess i really shouldve said this in the first place(but i'm biased :P )

Muzikman
06-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Just to let you guys know, a Typhoon and a Stroker are different guns. The Typhoon is built from the ground up by hand where the Stroker is convered. As I pointed out, a Stroker will have a less efficient valve and a they have a non-rotating hammer, which both in a round about way makes for a heavier trigger pull.

UThomas
06-26-2003, 10:28 AM
I had a trigger job and a 2 finger trigger on my typhoon also. Of course from Palmers those would be $140 extra!! IMO it was still not as fast as a 2003 cocker.

As for accuracy, my point is a typhoon (unless its a BBT one) has a fixed barrel. That is no match for a freak or any other multi ID barrel set.

"if you were to break it down into components...
a palmer stabilizer is much more consistant than the ergo reg"

A stabilizer is not stock on a typhoon (though I had one on mine). They are a $100+ option.