PDA

View Full Version : The New York Super 7

ogre55
06-23-2003, 04:25 PM
I just went on the NPPL site and found out that the NY Super 7 will be in New York, NY. That usually means somewhere in Manhattan. This begs the question...where? There are few venues that would be suitable, considering the size and munber of the fields, and all the other things associated with it (dealers, air station, etc.)

I can only think of three venues that could be possibe i.e. The piers, the Javits Center or Central Park.

Anyone have the inside track on this info.

Ogre

SyntaxError
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
have an insider (VERY inside :D) tip, cant say where though;)

FalconGuy016
06-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SyntaxError
have an insider (VERY inside :D) tip, cant say where though;)

Yes you can! :)

graycie
06-23-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't think the exact location has been settled on yet, but Chuck has recently been personally checking out locations around NYC.

SyntaxError
06-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by graycie
I don't think the exact location has been settled on yet, but Chuck has recently been personally checking out locations around NYC.

Talked to him personally yesterday in fact;)

Surreal
06-23-2003, 09:52 PM
HOLY CRAP A MAJOR EVENT NEAR ME? IM SO GOING!@!!

please tell me where, if its anywhere near me, i'm going. i live in staten island, so bus to ferry, then to another bus or train i'm assuming. i cant wait! when is it also? i want full details!

speedyejl
06-23-2003, 10:01 PM
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!

speedyejl
06-23-2003, 10:04 PM
damnit I'm gonna be away, this sucks sooo much

JT2002
06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
ive been hearing javits center, and that was from a NYC cop who plays! so o believe its going to be there. any info on the prizes yet? btw where in nyc is teh javits center and exactly what is teh place? im not too familiar with it

Dayspring
06-23-2003, 11:21 PM
You all wish you knew. :D

06-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Oh I know but I am not telling either ;) I "heard" Syracuse??:confused:

JT2002
06-23-2003, 11:37 PM
lol , that would be sick,,a pb tourny right in central park. nope im almost positive its gonna be at teh javitz center, cuz im sure most companys are too cheap to even attemp going ot madison square garden. so javitz it is

xtremexnyc
06-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JT2002
ive been hearing javits center, and that was from a NYC cop who plays! so o believe its going to be there. any info on the prizes yet? btw where in nyc is teh javits center and exactly what is teh place? im not too familiar with it

Eleventh Avenue - 34th - 39th Streets

http://www.newyorkled.com/jacobjavitscenter.htm

Dayspring
06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
You guys keep guessing. You'll find out soon that you were all wrong. :D

ogre55
06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by speedyejl
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!

I highly doubt it. There is not enough room in MSG just to set up 5 regulation speedball fields, never mind all the other supporting services that go into a major paintball tournament. Also, if the NPPL is still scouting locations, they would have a serious problem booking MSG on such short notice.

Ogre

RAM3139
06-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Can anyone tell me when its gonna be? i went to nppl.tv, but the new york section wouldnt open, it kept linking me to chicago. Anyone know when?

ogre55
06-24-2003, 10:07 AM
8/8-8/10

speedyejl
06-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I know it wouldn't work in MSG

I meant imagine it there, the worlds greatest areana (twinkle in my eyes), it would be televised for sure then since MSG has its own station.

FreshmanBob
06-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring

Nick, you don't even know :rolleyes:

SyntaxError
06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring

Ain't sayin a thing:D

Clockwork_Orange
06-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Can't wait to see this event... Paintball in New York city (Manhattan) it's about time!!!!! What can be better than that. Hopefully It's gonna grab a lot of attention and expand the sport in NYC.

Meph
06-24-2003, 01:44 PM
That would be pretty nice. If this got other places to pop up down there, and give real competition to other places like Cousins. So that they'll finally be forced to drop their prices from "Official Highway Robbery" to "reasonable."

As for me going to this, depends on the date and my schedule. Along with budget. I'm sure if I go I'll just be there to write.

JEDI
06-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Ooo, big secret. - You guys are tools :rolleyes:

Vendetta
06-24-2003, 02:33 PM
There is no way it would be in Central Park. You can't even ride a bike off the payment there. What about the other 4 boroughs Ogre? Unfortunatly for Brooklyn, they've been part of New York City since 1900.

JEDI
06-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by SyntaxError

Talked to him personally yesterday in fact;)

The location has not yet been chosen. Are you saying you had a personal chat with Chuck Hensch? Some how I doubt that.

ogre55
06-24-2003, 03:08 PM
The NPPL site says, "NY, NY". To most people who live in the 5 boroughs, that usually means Manhattan. I have found that for people who live outside of NYC, this could mean anywhere in the 5 boroughs.

As for central park, I think that is possible, but not likely. There are plenty of events that happen in central park every year, including, free concerts involving tens of thousands of people. However, while possible, I do not think it is likely.

Outside of Manhattan but in one of the other four broughs you have Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Flushing Meadows Park and the old World's Fair ground (one of the proposed sites of the Olympics if they come to NYC) in Queens, and the sprawl of Van Cortland Park in the Bronx.

There is, of course, Mets and Yankee's Standiums, which would work, if the huge parking lots could be used as a dealer's area.

I'm out of of possible places.

Ogre

Clockwork_Orange
06-24-2003, 04:34 PM
hmmm,I know...The South street seaport! They could play on the pier and after a game wash up in the East river.:D

Muzikman
06-24-2003, 04:40 PM
See, to us outsiders New York, New York stretched from Newark to Boston:) But aren't paintbal guns illegal in the city limits of New York? If so, would that not hinder the ability to hold it in "New York"?

Vendetta
06-24-2003, 04:44 PM
I really don't know the requirements these days for a big paintball tournament. In my day, you need trees:)

What about the Fresh Kills dump on Staten Island?:D

The Javits Center sounds to me as the most likely place to me. Will all the players need licences for their guns?

madmatt151
06-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Maybe Chelsea Piers? They have indoor field football fields and hockey rinks which could serve as fields well. Just a suggestion.

spydervenom
06-25-2003, 07:15 AM
i wish it was in syracuse at the state fairgrounds :(

Vendetta
06-25-2003, 08:34 AM
I know, Shea Stadium. They aren't using it for baseball these days.;)

Seriously, Chelsea Piers is pretty large, but all those fields are pretty booked. The piers just north of the Intrepid, on the other hand, are usally empty. They now have the Armory Art Fair there, it is BIG.

ogre55
06-25-2003, 08:47 AM
To those wondering about the legality of the whole affair, one can get special dispensation to have a paintball field as long as one gets the proper licensing, They are usually the license you need to have a target range.

While it would normally be very difficult, considering that the NPPL is sponsered by Budwieser, and several other big names, I think that they will be able to fast track the licensing.

Ogre

MagDog68
06-25-2003, 11:10 AM
There are countless areas that an event like this could take place here in the 5 boroughs. Have we though about some of the other islands (Randalls Island...hell lets do it on Rikers!)

The "city" may be tough to hold such an event - VERY limited parking & the idea of paintball gun toting pedestrians on the public transportation system is very ugly. I could see it happening in an area such as Van Cortlandt Park( The Bronx) or Prospect Park (Brooklyn) before they did it in Central Park. Hell, we could get stuck in Gateway National over in Staten Island.

My main concern would be the issue with people getting there guns into NYC. With the anti-terrorism lockdown we have here, coupled with the fact that most people wouldn't be able to drive directly to the arena would make for a paintball players nightmare.

~Fred

ogre55
06-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Maddog is right. This could get awful ugly awful fast. Most native New Yorkers can tell you just how much we like tourists and how difficult it can be for a tourist to get around in this city.

If I were the NPPL, what I would do is try to contact some local people to chaperone the teams to and from the venue.

Ogre

Vendetta
06-25-2003, 11:48 AM
I know we need the tourists, but they are a pain *ss.

madmatt151
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
I love tourists. I always swerve at them when they cross against the light in Manhattan. I give them thier "I almost got killed in NYC story", which boost tourism I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Randalls Island would be cool, never thought of that. There is also Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. It IS the biggest park in NYC and there is already a makeshift field built by some HS kids I heard :) Either way it will be good to have a tourny here in NYC. I won't have to travel so far. Looking forward.

FRENZY
08-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Any new info on the New York Super 7?

graycie
08-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by FRENZY
Any new info on the New York Super 7?

are you serious? the event ends today, and it was in NJ not NY

Clockwork_Orange
08-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Unbelievable...All this talk about the Super 7 and people just stopped posting info about it within a month. I had no idea it was this weekend...

Thanks anyway!