PDA

View Full Version : Viewloader Talking Timer - Yea or Nea?

Scooter/Cootie
06-23-2003, 10:59 PM
I've been thinking of going out on a limb and trying one of these new timers, but since Brass Eagle is ...well... Brass Eagle, I'm not sure about the quality of the product.

Has anyone bought and/or tried one of these yet? Has it died the death of a 1000 pieces or has it actually held up in a real game enviroment?

I'm intrested in any feedback you've got. Thanks

Below are a few links I've found about the product.

Paintballgear.com
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/041-4030.html#

Warpig.com
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/electronics/talkintimer/index.shtml

Dayspring
06-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Black Cell has put it through it's paces. I like and approve. Plus, the timer has a woman's voice. How can you go wrong? :D

68magOwner
06-23-2003, 11:07 PM
eh, i dont really like the idea myself, but if its what you want, go ahead with it, but personally if i wanted a timer, i would just buy a $2 wal-mart watch, and hot glue it to my hopper. I have always have my walmart stuff hold up better than my BE stuff, lol i meen ive had my wal-mart watch for 2 years with no problems, my BE revvy didnt last me 2 months :mad: , so its your choice, but i wouldnt buy anything BE (except there cheap paintballs, i love cheap paintballs, mmmmmmm ball chops even with fine tuned level ten, its great! :D )

Daroach
I actually saw one of them yesterday, and i have to admit, i was very impressed. It was loud, seemed pretty sturdy, and held out pretty well during the course of the day. I really think they are to new for any rash decisions on the yea or nea....

Halliday
Listen to one before you buy it. It has some spokesmodel's voice. It sounds like she's a cig smoker with one of those throat boxes. "Twozzzz minzzzetzz." Bleh.

Scooter/Cootie
06-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Plus, the timer has a woman's voice. How can you go wrong? :D

I read that in the Warpig review. Intresting. ;)

"Inside the timer’s electronic circuitry are digitized voice samples from Viewloader’s spokesmodel, Chelsea. "

Spaceman613
06-23-2003, 11:24 PM
I changed the mounting system. I tapped 8-32 holes into my rev, and used 2 per side instea dof the provided placements. The holes for the 8-32s are already there. Just have to drill on the hopper and tapp the hopper. WAY more sturdy than the 2 screw placement.

-=Squid=-
06-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Radio shack makes very nice talking timers with memory that our team clips to our mask straps, they work wonders.

govnamac
06-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Be careful about hitting two buttons at once when trying to press start. I've done that more than once. it does help though to have it talk so you dont have to watch the clock, just listen, and its really loud. Only problem is if you don't have a revy, you have to become creative about mounting it.

Spaceman613
06-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Radio Shack discontinued them. Unless they brought them back in the last couple weeks.

-=Squid=-
06-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh really? My field keeps getting them in and sells them for like $15.

rehme
06-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Radio shack makes very nice talking timers with memory that our team clips to our mask straps, they work wonders.

yeah that is what we do also!

they are really nice, loud, and easy to hear. even when you are shooting :)

-=Squid=-
06-24-2003, 12:04 AM
We almost got penalized once because the ref thought I (I was in the dead box) was telling my players how much time is left. Keep in mind these timers used a female, high pitched robotic sounding voice. :rolleyes:

AutomagRT1483
06-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Black Cell has put it through it's paces. I like and approve. Plus, the timer has a woman's voice. How can you go wrong? :D

A woman's voice, ooooo:eek: :D

-=Squid=-
06-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Think Robot woman voice. :eek:

funkmunky56
06-24-2003, 08:43 AM
I like mine a lot... I even use it to keep track of game time when I'm head reffing at the field. it comes with a lanyard with lil' clippies on it. :-)

ben_JD
06-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Radio shack makes very nice talking timers with memory that our team clips to our mask straps, they work wonders. I agree with Squid, the Radio Shack timers (which RS no longer sells) are the best.

Kevmaster
06-24-2003, 11:27 AM
BE gave me one almost a year ago just as they were comming out...still works great...although take my opinion of a BE product with a grain of salt

-=Squid=-
06-24-2003, 11:36 AM
If any of you guys would like me to find out how to get the timers, or sell you one, PM me.

JEDI
06-24-2003, 12:28 PM
I've used the talking timer for quite a while now. They work perfectly. They're very loud, and easy to use. Even if you dont put it on a revvy. Its easy to figure other ways to mount it.