PDA

View Full Version : Nova or Mayhem

68magOwner
06-24-2003, 03:26 PM
My brother is searching for a new gun, and he cant shoot mags at all. So hes looking at either a Mayhem, electro phenumatic marker, or the fully phenumatinc marker, the Nova 700/Super Nova. I personally like the novas just because they are really rare, and they are (i belive) the only true fully phenumatic paintball guns, they dont even have a bolt, wich is really cool if you ask me. But i dont really know much about either marker. And i know i saw a mayhem on here before, so if someone could give me a review on either or both of these guns, it would be greatly appreciated.

ICOM
06-24-2003, 03:28 PM
i would say mayhem. Why not get a mag and then a electro grip?

68magOwner
06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
could you please tell me your reason for choosing the mayhem, and the reason for not gettin the electro mag, is because he could get the mayhem cheaper, he likes the looks better too.

irbodden
06-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Those two guns are both pretty crappy... Novas aren't made anymore and I don't think Mayhems are either....

Halliday
06-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Neither. 98 Custom.

68magOwner
06-24-2003, 03:57 PM
i no noavs arnt made, mayhems still are, but i thought they were supposed to be good guns, and no 98c

sniper1rfa
06-25-2003, 08:18 AM
novas are nice, when they work.

I am the one who has the mayhem you saw, so it should carry some wieght when i say get something else. Stock mayhems, while reliable, chop like hell. :rolleyes:

i would suggest something else.

JAM
06-25-2003, 08:46 AM
seriously, mags aren't hard guns to shoot...

and why get yourself into a situation where you are stuck with a gun that isn't cheap and is not terribly reliable and is hard to find parts for?

stock impulse, lev 10 mag, rt mag maybe? 2003 cocker? spyder? A5? lots and lots of choices

Meph
06-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Novas are great, they're very fun. However, when something goes wrong you're in trouble. The company is no more as you might know, they aren't made any more. So customer support is just slightly lacking.

Mayhems are nice, but very much capped. They aren't too fast, even being electronic. Reminds me of the Shocker speed, but on a smaller Nova.

I can suggest some others, but not sure yet. What's his budget? What is he looking for? Where does he play on the field and what type of field (speedball or woods)?

FeelTheRT
06-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 68magOwner
hes looking at either a Mayhem, electro phenumatic marker, or the fully phenumatinc marker, the Nova 700/Super Nova.

i believe the word you are looking for is pneumatic. Explain what a fully pneumatic marker is.

pneu·mat·ic
adj.
Of or relating to air or other gases

just would be just about every paintball marker

If he can't shoot a mag, why not a cocker? Don't deal with Novas that no one has anymore. and a Mayhem? I've never in my life seen a Mayhem in real life. Have u looked into electros? There are many great electros out there that u can score for fairly cheap when used: Intimidator, Matrix, Emag, Angel LED/LCD.

magman007
06-25-2003, 01:49 PM
wanna get one of em? get the warmachine assault 80, same concept, 3rd time around....

-=Squid=-
06-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Novas are still made. They are goodl ittle guns, VERY small. My field is selling a blue mayhem all hooked up, ready to go for $250. If you want it PM me.

nt2004
06-25-2003, 05:05 PM
the Ice Epic is a nice gun. It has no bolt and utilizes a trapdoor system.

-=Squid=-
06-25-2003, 05:30 PM
The iceepic is $650 though, a little out of what seems to be this guys price range.

68magOwner
06-25-2003, 11:15 PM
yea, he has bout $300, but is selling his pro-lite setup, for probably $100-$150. But out of the $400-$450, he only wants to spend like $150-$220, i think he should just get a tippy 98c or a mag, because if his gun ever breaks then i have to fix it, hes mechanically impared, so cockers are definately not for him. But he dosent want a 98c, and he always shotr stroked my mag and "chuffs", i tell him to learn the trigger, but he is determined to stay away from mags. So I dont see many options for him if he wants to get a better gun, but stay in his price-range. Also, he normally plays woodsball, but wants to start playin speedball (but i dont think he will get into it) he wants lots of accuracy, he currently has a 16in all american on the pro-lite, shoots very nice (for a pro-lite :rolleyes: ) so obviously, with his price range, he's gonna have to buy used, his main complaint about the pro-lite is the VERY hefty trigger pull. Please give me your suggestions :)

askman
06-25-2003, 11:35 PM
One option that he may consider is rainmaker. I know it is BE, but it actually is a decent electro marker. There are plenty of upgrade/parts for it, and you can get it for about 100 bucks on ebay NIB. Cocker barrel thread too. I just picked up a 99 SF custom rainmaker for 150 and it is probably better made than either mayhem or nova. Mine is custom anodized. I will post when I get it working. (need a vertical reg for it. got it on order)

Another choice may be pirahna electro marker.

68magOwner
06-25-2003, 11:40 PM
ooooo, yea i always wanted a rainmaker, so i get him to buy it, steal it in his sleep.....oooo yea, hes definately gettin the rainmaker :D thanks askman, but ppl, plz keep the suggestions rollin in, i dont know if he will like the rainmaker, heh, ill convince him "its just like an angel" (no im not dumb, i know its not really) and he will buy it in a snap.

minimag187
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Matrix's are fully pneumatic as well as those.

hwayhzrd
05-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a Mayhem, but I rarely use it because I play more woods/scenario ball than speedball (which is why I bought the Mayhem).

The Mayhem is a very, very good and solid gun with big-time potential.

I have been pondering adding a Morlock board, which would make it a 16+ bps marker.

It only runs on 100 PSI, and has only three moving parts including the trigger.

Hope this helps!

http://hwayhzrd.20megsfree.com/cgi-bin/framed/Mayhem%20side%202.jpg

http://hwayhzrd.20megsfree.com/cgi-bin/framed/Mayhem_W_Warp_10-7-03.jpg

OysterBoy
05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Up, I'm very interested in hearing more. hwayhzrd, mind posting a little more info? They look cool. Also, in addition to your morlock idea.. wouldnt it also be possible to modify and attach a double trigger? I'm interested in getting one, depending on the pros and cons..

thanks

Chronobreak
05-29-2004, 09:07 PM
i honestly gotta say u pciked about the two worst paintball guns and wile they are cheap there that way for a reason save up some money and buy a quality product and if nothing else atleas i got a good laugh out of those warped mayhem pics... :D

Exydon
05-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Mayhems aren't as bad as some people say.. I have one and it has honestly never chopped a ball. It has a little weight to it, and it definitely has a different look than other markers, but it's built solid. I don't use it that much anymore, but I'm a Phantom kinda guy ;)

11_Mile_TMaster
05-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Dare I ask, Who makes the Mayhem?

Exydon
05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Mayhems wereMade by PGI, who also made the Firestorm conversion kit and are currently making the Osiris Autocockers.
http://members.cox.net/pgipaintguns/

OysterBoy
05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
http://www.emulsionpaintball.com

Goto PGI

Max is a great guy (runs emulsion), but hes slow to reply to emails. If you can, I reccomend phoning him. By the way, that place is located in Nova Scotia, so the prices are Canadian.

68magOwner
05-29-2004, 10:16 PM
wow,....OLD thread, he has scince gotten a differnt marker all togther thanks anyway i guess

nt2004
05-30-2004, 10:45 AM
holy crap! I dont even remember posting in this thread!

hwayhzrd
05-31-2004, 04:54 PM
While I am crushed by wantamag's reaction (yawn), I still maintain that the Mayhem is a marker of great potential.

The Warp is for profile reduction, and I had it prior to getting the Mayhem for speedball.

Plus, I LIKE doing something different from the rest of the sheep that just buy exactly what the rest of their herd (buddies) have.

My Mayhem sends guys smirking all the way to the dead box, and with some work it will only get better. People laugh at my Tippmann markers too, with the same results.

I have a message in at Doc's Machine about having a new trigger and trigger guard made.

A Mayhem with the speed of an Osiris 'Cocker? You bet your butt it can and will be done.

It's nice to see that marker snobbery is alive and well here on the Automag owner's forum. I thought that Smart Parts held the patent on that one too ... :rolleyes:

OysterBoy
05-31-2004, 05:51 PM
Why make a new trigger? PGI's site has Double Trigger Frames for sale, or did I miss something.. (IE out of business... ?)

hwayhzrd
05-31-2004, 07:11 PM
If memory serves, they (PGI) wanted something outrageous like $150.

If I am paying a fair amount, why not get something made exactly like I want it?

I want a blade trigger, and they can make it to my liking.