PDA

View Full Version : Seoul South Korea ... anyone been there?

lopxtc
06-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Well looks like I may be heading out to Seoul for three weeks next month for work.

Has anyone of the AO community been there, and if so got any recommendations as to what I should see and what not.

Thanks,

Aaron

Miscue
06-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Check out the Korean people.

lopxtc
06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Yeah I spent a year in Japan and fell in love the with culture and people ... so I am looking forward to this trip. I have checked out a couple sites, and was bummed to see that the animation festival is in August ... that would have been kewl to check out.

Aaron

edweird
06-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Yeha I did a year recently at Kunsan Ab South Korea

during the weekends we made our way around korea quite a bit...

Seoul is a wonderful city, Enojoy it... if you get lost look for some of the army guys from Youngsan garrison walking around.

lopxtc
06-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Kewl .. I was supposed to go to Korea several years ago for Team Spirit, but the year I was supposed to go it was cancelled ... was kind of bummed out.

Aaron

darklord
06-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I was born there. :D Went there about 4 years ago w/ my dad to visit where I was born and whatnot, it was cool. Went to Japan, too.

As for what to visit, I'm not sure, we had a guide from my adoption agency show us whatever.... it's a cool place though, although I'd definitely recommend Japan over Seoul. 3 weeks is a good amount of time though, by then I'm sure you'll be adjusted to how everything works there! Remember, TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! With you in them! I regret not being in a lot of pictures from that trip.....

anyway most of all remember to have fun! The Korean people are very generous and caring. Enjoy yourself! ^_^

joeyjoe367
06-26-2003, 01:56 AM
I've been there 2x. Honestly, I didn't really like the place.

When I visited, there were constant billows of "fog" which was just really stagnant air and pollution. It's horrible, worse than LA or NYC.

Vast complexes of condos are really un-interesting, and so are the cars. There's Hyundai, Dai-woo, and Kia. Everyone drives the same frickin' cars, and it's really not interesting at all.

I saw 1 BMW, and that's cuz my grandmother there was driving it.

If anything, try to enjoy the culture.

oh, and the food. the food is wonderful. What's great, is that there are consessions all over the place. "Rest stops" along the highway are like food courts. In the evenings, you can sit down in a tent sorta thing setup on the street and have some traditional korean snack foods :) One of my favorites (Forget what it's called) are rice-cakes in hot sauce with tempura.

Man, I just made myself *REALY* hungry :)