PDA

View Full Version : flying with my air tank......

sime
06-26-2003, 01:24 PM
....just a simple question about flying with my gear. obviously my marker will have to go in my checked baggage, but what about my bottle? i know it has to be empty, but anything else i should worry about?

cheers!

EsPo
06-26-2003, 01:30 PM
i'd wrap it up in lots and lots of clothes or something.. just make sure it doesnt get damaged when your bag is being thrown.

Army
06-26-2003, 01:48 PM
If it is a preset tank, screw on an extra ASA to keep the valve open full time. If it's a reg'ed tank, unscrew the fill nipple and remove it (let it dangle from the nipple cap if you have one).

You don't NEED to declare it, but if there is any question in your mind about it, go ahead and tell the agent what you have, and that the bottles are fully open and empty.

Call the airline you will be using at least two weeks before you fly, INCLUDING ANY CONNECTING FLIGHTS THAT MAY NOT BE OF THE ORIGINAL AIRLINE, and get their latest regulations on tank/bottle transport. Explain that they are for paintball, and are NOT generators of any type. The two weeks will give you enough time to ship your tanks if you need to.

Troy
06-26-2003, 01:57 PM
ATA will not allow you to travel with it, as many players at the Chicago NPPL found out the hard way. Check with your airline for their rules.

hitech
06-26-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Troy
ATA will not allow you to travel with it..

What do you think of them? I have some discount coupons for them but don't know much about them. They are fairly new airline, aren't they?

FutureMagOwner
06-26-2003, 04:03 PM
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/articles/news/061103_atanohpa.shtml heres a link to an article about the ata

Recon by Fire
06-26-2003, 04:10 PM
I would actually recommend that you ship your marker and tank via UPS/FedEx, etc...insured! The airport security will definately be going through your bags and you cannot have them locked. Lots of oppertunities for valuables to be misplaced.

Last time I flew with my gear I packed my Freak, Max Flow and Spyder in a really big suit case, along with all the clothes. Everything else went into an additional box. I didn't have any trouble but I don't have much faith in the airline industry.

Vendetta
06-26-2003, 04:19 PM
I've flown ATA, they are fine. Flying these days is like taking a bus anyway. Might as well fly on the cheapest bus available. Those small airline's maintenance get checked more by the FAA than the large ones.