PDA

View Full Version : Money for College (no, no putting your address at spot #6 on the list)

raehl
06-26-2003, 02:01 PM
www.college-paintball.com/scholarship.html

$500 for school - application deadline August 15.

Thanks to Brass Eagle, National Paintball Supply, PMI and AKA for makin' it possible.

- Chris

raehl
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
The $500 is coming out of our general budget, which while funded fairly significantly by our sponsors, also pays for everything else the organization does.

This is really more of a trial run. Once we get the idea on the map and work out the whole process required from start to finish (as well as finish up our 501(c)3 paperwork) I fully expect the program to receive much more significant funding.

Or, put another way, for a couple hours filling out an application, $500 is nothing to shake a stick at.

- Chris

Frank (the spank)
06-26-2003, 03:05 PM
$500 for College students, thats pretty nice of you guys :)

Sure.. it won't buy much in college, but it is a big help.

raehl
06-26-2003, 03:07 PM
It's a matter of doing small and right before doing big to make sure that it's big and right instead of big and wrong. ;)

- Chris

wimag
06-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Raehl: great concept!! Wish this opportunity was around when i was grinding away at college. $500 bucks can and will go a long way.

Automag88
06-26-2003, 05:32 PM
So raehl, are you planning to do this for a few years or just this year? That would be great for me in a couple years.

Miscue
06-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Hostility stops now... lest ye be banned!

<B>*The Iron Fist hath spoken*</B>

1stdeadeye
06-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Maybe EVERYONE should delete their posts and let Raehl tout his PILOT scholarship program to AO. This thread is turning into a classic Highjacking!

Raehl,
I commend you for taking this initiative. A journey of 1000 miles begins with 1 step! When your 501(C)3 is operational, make sure you post details. After all there are plenty AOers who make donations to many different charities. As long as you are filed and in good order, getting a tax deduction for donating to a paintball org sounds like a neat idea.

Everyone else off topic should DELETE their posts and allow Raehl to promote this scholarship to the many AOers of college age. (just don't let CB apply ;) )

Riotz
06-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Oh woops, was in the process of typing that.

Hurrray for the scholarship!

BlackVCG
06-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Moderators…. I would keep an eye on this one……..

Duely noted.

Miscue
06-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
Hostility stops now... lest ye be banned!

<B>*The Iron Fist hath spoken*</B>

I'm not joking.

Ok, I pruned out all the crap. If it happens again, I'm 3-day banning all involved... regardless of who thinks to be in the right.

mxracer33x
06-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Looks like a great opportunity for college students. Like 1stdeadeye said, once you get your details all worked out please let us know. I am interested in making a contribution.

1stdeadeye
06-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks Miscue!!!!

Can this thread be stickied for a while? This could be very important to some of our members!

I think this is great. College is very expensive and every little bit helps!! $500 won't do much for tuition or books, but can really help with the incidentals that always seem to pop-up during school!:(

Some of us older members might not remember the days of not having a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of!:D Every little bit helps!

Kudos to the NCPA and their sponsors!

shartley
06-26-2003, 06:36 PM
I am glad that though the indirect support, you folks are able to put up that scholarship. Think next year you can twist their arms and get direct support? Heck even $1K each would be FANTASTIC! :)

Good job and keep up the good work.

Miscue
06-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Thanks Miscue!!!!

Can this thread be stickied for a while? This could be very important to some of our members!

TK typically handles the stickying.

shartley
06-26-2003, 07:48 PM
p

Kevmaster
06-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Q: but when the cats away, the mice come out to play

seriously, thanks chris...everybit DOES help to a college guy...I'll be filling out that app soon...

raehl
06-26-2003, 08:50 PM
There is interest in direct support of the program. Solid interest.

As far as 501(c)3 goes -

We're 501(c)3 now. But we do NOT yet have our letter of exemption from the IRS (filing deadline is in December). The end result is that you CAN give us money now, and you CAN deduct it off your taxes (which will only matter if you itemize and your total deductions are over the standard deduction) BUT if the IRS decides later that we're not really 501(c)3 they could come back to you and say 'Hey, you still owe us taxes on that.'

So, hey, if you want to throw some cash into the scholarship pool, I won't say no. :)

Regardless, this is just the first run. I'd expect a much more substantial effort for next year.

- Chris

shartley
06-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Chris knows how to contact me, and knows I am willing to do what I can to help him. We have had discussions in the past….

What you propose is not a bad idea…. How about adding to that list those who have profited in ANY way from being an AO member? I know many folks that have made more off of AO than any of the Business Owners here have. Hey, maybe you would like to donate too? Now that is a grand idea. Why limit it to just business owners? Let’s all get into the spirit of giving. Thanks for the idea Roitz!

Again, Chris knows how to get a hold of me….. it has never stopped him in the past. ;)

magsRus
06-26-2003, 09:56 PM
500 bucks can buy all your books..I heard you have to buy so many expensive books either off the school or off the students which will in return probaly rip you off :)

1stdeadeye
06-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by raehl
As far as 501(c)3 goes -

We're 501(c)3 now. But we do NOT yet have our letter of exemption from the IRS (filing deadline is in December). The end result is that you CAN give us money now, and you CAN deduct it off your taxes (which will only matter if you itemize and your total deductions are over the standard deduction) BUT if the IRS decides later that we're not really 501(c)3 they could come back to you and say 'Hey, you still owe us taxes on that.'

I do itemize quite a bit over the standard deduction!;) When you get your IRS papers, please let us know. I am sure that you'll see more dollars then. Heck, everyone who owns a home on AO probably itemizes more then the standard deduction, so that IRS letter is key!

Good Luck and keep us in the loop!

1stdeadeye
06-28-2003, 05:24 AM
To important to let this die out so fast!

breg
06-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow!
reahl, this is awsome. If I could spell better, use some big words to say how impressed I am with this.

spydervenom
06-28-2003, 09:24 PM
so this current one is for people going into college this coming year, right?

FreshmanBob
06-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Ladies ladies, can't we all get along and just forget donating your money to the college fund when my relatively empty pockets are so close to your bickering mouths and overstuffed wallets?

Heheheh juuuust kidding

Sounds like a great idea. I'd apply (hello drexel in the fall!), but I don't really meet the criteria as far as doing things in my community. Besides, I'm sure there are those are need it more than I do.

Miscue
06-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Ok. I'm pruning this thread AGAIN!

Based upon my previous warning, I should ban both Riotz and Shartley. But due to special circumstances that I will not divulge... I cannot - for now.

Riotz and BlackCell... as well as Shartley... DO NOT poke at each other any longer. And, refrain from this thread...

-Miscue