PDA

View Full Version : paintball movie idea?

TheJester
06-26-2003, 05:36 PM
i was flippin threw a sharper image magaizne today, and found this (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?pid=40591700&pcatid=2&catid=206). I had a cool idea, why not take something like that and tape it to the bottom of your barrel? Now 1 draw back would be that it can only take a 2 min video clip, but hey, some games don't even last that, and a 5 min rec game is a long game. it doesn't say anything about the reselution of the video, just the frame rate, but the frame rate is a good 30/second (eye sees at a rate of 32/second, so it won't be very noticibly choppy).

If i were to get something like this, for 1, any ideas how to protect it from a hit? any 1 ever do it? any 1 know anything better to use? or do you think i'm just an idiot w/ a stupid idea?

Nick1Shot
06-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Holy Jeebus that thing is BIG. You can get tiny cameras the size of a chapstick tube. But then you have to get a radio signal or something to go to a recording device of some sorts. But, you can record all you want, not just two minutes. And like I said, it's tiny.

Nick
1Shot

-Carnifex-
06-26-2003, 05:52 PM
A five minute rec game is short..

Recon by Fire
06-26-2003, 07:26 PM
A better idea would be to mount a small board camera (about the size of a quarter or smaller) to a mask. Then you can see what the player is looking at. You could then either run a wirless video sender or a small recording deck to capture the video.

Or just mount a handy cam on a bracket much like a warp feed if you aren't worried about it possibly getting damaged.

Tron
06-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TheJester
it doesn't say anything about the reselution of the video, just the frame rate, but the frame rate is a good 30/second (eye sees at a rate of 32/second, so it won't be very noticibly choppy).

If i were to get something like this, for 1, any ideas how to protect it from a hit? any 1 ever do it? any 1 know anything better to use? or do you think i'm just an idiot w/ a stupid idea?

Sounds like a cool idea they could even just run a wire down the gun and power it with the emag battery. :p And also have one on this goggles to get a cool view. And that eyes can only so many fps is bs.

-Tron

-=Squid=-
06-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Would be cool to put one on the mask AND barrel, then you could edit it on the comp-U-tear and make it all superfantastical.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
06-26-2003, 08:41 PM
mini cameras are definitly a good idea for pb on tv,

Star_Base_CGI
06-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Yeah I was trying to sell that to Creative LIght for SPplat II.

My idea though was mask Cams but this is just as good with Barrel cams.

Than I guess you would wireless them all into a mulitplexor or a hard drive.

1shot
06-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Actually, all video is shot at either 30 frames per second (or 25fps if your overseas in PAL land). If that camera can do 30 fps the resolution must be very poor, which is why we don't use cameras that small. The recording chip just can't put out a decent signal.
The very goo dqulaity cameras used by ESPN cost thousands each.

bob

RT pRo AuToMaG
06-26-2003, 09:51 PM
how about minicam's that transmit the video to a recorder off the field?

Lopy-slopy
06-26-2003, 10:01 PM
And that eyes can only so many fps is bs.
Actualy eye's can only see a certain FPS. I don't know if it's 32, but at a ceratin point. I think it's lower than 30fps, your eye can't distinguish between each frame and they blend togeather, makeing you think the poeple are moving. If that didn't happen watching movies would suck.

I would rather use a mask Cam cuz my barrel isn't always pointed forwards. For most of the game it's pointed at the ground or at a bunker. And after I shoot I useualy move the barrel. So for me I wouln't see much anction from a camera on my barel.

As everybody else said, that thing is way to big. Get a smaller one, like a real spy camera. That thing would be hard to mount comfortably on a gun.

1shot
06-26-2003, 10:05 PM
I've looked at those and the trouble is with the transmission of the video from the camera to the field. The image from the small cameras is negligible to begin with and trying to send them out via a UHF transmitter makes them worse. It may work for you if you're just recording to watch on your VCR at home, but if I were to sell you that quality of video on a DVD you'ld never by a second one.
I'm looking right now for a quality camera/reccorder that I can do that with. it's hard to find one that is cheap and good. If I find it you'll start seeing it in our videos.

bob

FeelTheRT
06-26-2003, 10:27 PM
nah, that wouldn't work cuz u tilt ur gun down or up from time to time. What most people do is mount their cams on or in their goggles, so the cam sees what you see.

and that isn't how people would make paintball movies... Movies are filmed scene by scene, not just having a ton of cams while a real game is going on.

Tron
06-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Lopy-slopy

Actualy eye's can only see a certain FPS. I don't know if it's 32, but at a ceratin point. I think it's lower than 30fps, your eye can't distinguish between each frame and they blend togeather, makeing you think the poeple are moving. If that didn't happen watching movies would suck.

Motion blurring makes it happen... Air force pilots can see past 400FPS in government tests. I can't play a game unless its 100FPS or more or I can tell and I can't stand it. I can see the flickering in movie theaters even though they show the same frame 2x and gets annoying.

-Tron

misfit
06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
something i was working on a while ago http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47039

1shot
06-26-2003, 10:39 PM
What games fo you play that play back at more than 100 fps? I know of no computer possible of playing back at that speed. most computers choke at playing back 30 fps without special hardware otr major compression.
Where do you get the info about motion blurring? It is a fact that the eye can not detect the fact that movies are a collection of still images played at a speed that the eye can not make that determination. Thus it looks like movement to your eye. there si no motion blur involved. in fact, great pains are taken to limit the amount of blur when shooting.
And the movies you see at the theatre, or anywhere for that matter, play at 24 fps (frames per second) and no movie plays the same frame twice. Unless of course the editor put it in that way to achieve a certain effect.

bob

Tron
06-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 1shot
What games fo you play that play back at more than 100 fps? I know of no computer possible of playing back at that speed. most computers choke at playing back 30 fps without special hardware otr major compression.
Where do you get the info about motion blurring? It is a fact that the eye can not detect the fact that movies are a collection of still images played at a speed that the eye can not make that determination. Thus it looks like movement to your eye. there si no motion blur involved. in fact, great pains are taken to limit the amount of blur when shooting.
And the movies you see at the theatre, or anywhere for that matter, play at 24 fps (frames per second) and no movie plays the same frame twice. Unless of course the editor put it in that way to achieve a certain effect.

bob

WoW just WoW...

I have a P4 3.7GHz and an ATI Radeon 9800 games have a hard time getting under 99.9FPS under intense scenes...

Again just wow... :confused:

-Tron

1shot
06-26-2003, 10:44 PM
So Misfit, what ever came of it? Do you happen to have any vidcaps of images from the little camera. I've been looking at those but I just didn't think it would have a good enough picture.
I'd be interested to see any video from those cameras.

bob

1shot
06-26-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm intrigued. How do you know it's showing 99.9 fps? is the game telling you that? I don't play a lot of games, but I have never seen a computer play back that frame rate. Not even a 3.7GB P4. And I have some pretty intense video gear here.
How intense are these scenes? No movie ever made has exceded 24 fps, and I've seen some pretty intense movies.
I am intrigued by your claims.
Teach me Obi-wan

bob
and, no, I'm not a star wars fan

Tron
06-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 1shot
I'm intrigued. How do you know it's showing 99.9 fps? is the game telling you that? I don't play a lot of games, but I have never seen a computer play back that frame rate. Not even a 3.7GB P4. And I have some pretty intense video gear here.
How intense are these scenes? No movie ever made has exceded 24 fps, and I've seen some pretty intense movies.
I am intrigued by your claims.
Teach me Obi-wan

bob
and, no, I'm not a star wars fan

Just going to let it drop and let you believe what you want. Much easier on me and my fingers.

-Tron

TheJester
06-28-2003, 03:11 PM
thanks for all the input guys, i'll explore other options. the mask cam too crossed my mind, but the thing is, all the interesting stuff...my face will see everything my barrel will see, so i figured i would just edit out the shots of the ground when i'm running. i thnk that there will be a webcast of a local tourney soon, i might talk to them about it some more too.

Demobilized
06-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Tron

Just going to let it drop and let you believe what you want. Much easier on me and my fingers.

-Tron

Ive played some games a 120 if my comp was running good. It told me at the top of the screen, what FPS i was running at. So yea he is right, most game run over 100, or maybe i just have an insanely bad memory.:confused:

TheJester
06-28-2003, 04:35 PM
the thing with games is that resolution plays a big part on the noticable FPS rate, but i'm no computer geek, i'm just pretty sure that the frame rate of which you can't see is 32, if a light is blinking at 32x/second, it will appear that it is constantly light.