PDA

View Full Version : Protect my wireless LAN

GT
06-26-2003, 10:15 PM
I am running a linksys wirelless router and 4 port hub. my comp runs right into the hub but my wifes laptop runs off the wirless card to the wireless hub. So...any suggestions on how to secure my network?

cheetah256
06-27-2003, 12:38 AM
you should just be able to go into your router config and set up your WEP. you'd be amazed how few people actually do this. i've gone out and wardriven, (its not a crime if you don't access ;) ), and maybe 5% of the access points i've found were encrypted. and the majority of those were businesses...

Tron
06-27-2003, 12:56 AM
WEP, use mac filtering, and change ur default password on the router. Change ur wep key every month or at least try to.

-Tron

pbzmag
06-27-2003, 01:04 AM
Here's what you do. First of all, change your password to your router. To secure your wireless access, change your SSID and enable WEP. Under WEP key settings, select 128bit encryption and enter a passphrase.

Now for your laptop. Go into your Configuration Utility and change the SSID in the Configuration tab. Under the Encryption tab, change the Encryption to 128 bit and select "Create Keys with Passphrase" and enter your passphrase. Select OK and you should be able to connect.

Curly
06-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Mac Adress Filtering is also VERY effective. I have driven through my neighborhood and found within I would say a six block radius over 100 unencrypted networks. People are even stupid enough to use their adress as their ssid. Just be careful and use encryption. this will stop 98% of the people out there. If you are very paranoid then use mac adress filtering as I said.

Frank (the spank)
06-27-2003, 02:50 AM
pshhh.. WEP can be cracked really easy, having a closed network and only allowing certain MAC addresses is good but there are still ways around that.

If you want total security.. setup a firewall and put your wireless access point outside of the firewall and VPN into your network, I don't think VPN has been cracked yet.

But.. for a home network, WEP an MAC filtering is all you really need. Also change your default 802.11x channel to something other than default.

Miscue
06-27-2003, 03:08 AM
/me has solution to wireless LAN security problems:

UTP

:D

MobileIP is ultra fun to secure... all the problems of 802.11x (if used) + more!

Tron
06-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Frank (the spank)
pshhh.. WEP can be cracked really easy, having a closed network and only allowing certain MAC addresses is good but there are still ways around that.

Doubtful a home network doesn't generate the needed traffic for that to happen very easily.

-Tron

GT
06-27-2003, 07:18 AM
thanks guys, I will give this a try tonight. any other help feel free to keep a' post'n

ASDadam
06-27-2003, 10:38 AM
God almighty, this is bringing back horrible memories of my Cisco days!!! actually, VPN has been cracked and was cracked almost the same week it was first introduced. NO network is fully secure, but if you have a Linksys it is compatiable with a buyable firewall, not the best, but it will do and i forgot the name, you can set that firewall up to run with your router and also use the mac address scheme.

pbzmag
06-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ASDadam
God almighty, this is bringing back horrible memories of my Cisco days!!! actually, VPN has been cracked and was cracked almost the same week it was first introduced. NO network is fully secure, but if you have a Linksys it is compatiable with a buyable firewall, not the best, but it will do and i forgot the name, you can set that firewall up to run with your router and also use the mac address scheme.

LinkSys uses ZoneAlarm Pro for firewall protection and PC-Cillin for virus protection.

wes
06-27-2003, 11:06 AM
:rolleyes: people are stupid

i picked up 4 singals from my back yard, and none of them were encrypted :D but i have a WEP encryption.

I got the router from my grandma, she had it set up wiht out the encryption or anything, and she didnt need it so she gave it to me :cool:

ASDadam
06-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Yep thats it, Zone Alarm pro. I've got a Cisco 2600 series router that i have yet to install. You can set up serious encription on that if you know how to.

Viral
06-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by wes
I got the router from my grandma...

You may actually be the first person in the history of mankind to utter that phrase! I won't even ask why your grandma had a router...

I just leave mine unsecured. I live tucked back in a neighborhood and so far only have 1 neighbor that has another wireless gateway. We can reach each others. He uses DSL and I have cable, so we piggyback on each others if either of us has an outage. I know it's not secure, but until I see any abuse, I figure it's benefitting us both to be open. ;)

Share the wealth!

But I agree, MAC filtering and WEP, while both can be circumvented, will suffice 99% of the time for a home network. Wardrivers will just simply go another block down the road and hop on your neighbor's unprotected AP.

--Viral

Lopy-slopy
06-27-2003, 06:33 PM
use the indription that come's with linksys. I have it and it's realy easy to set up(for me anyway's). As long a you don't have lots of goverment secrets on your laptop no one's going to bother trying to hack it when almost every other computer dosen't even use the encription.

RT pRo AuToMaG
06-27-2003, 08:45 PM
I've gone through 2 Linksys 802.11b wireless routers (Model BEFW11S4) and they both broke on me. Right now I'm using a Netgear 802.11g (yes, 802.11g) and it give me wiresless connection transfer rates between 52Mbps (max speed, from about 15-20 feet away)and 25 (About 40 feet away). I'd recommend to get rid of the Linksys router and get the Netgear with 802.11g. I have Norton System Works 2003 monitoring all connections coming in and going out, and it works GREAT. It detects incoming connections and outgoing and everything else. But anyway, another good thig about the Netgear router is that it looks much better and it's smaller.