PDA

View Full Version : Cocker: Ball detent before bolt?

FalconGuy016
06-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Should I get a good ball detent before a new bolt (orracle bolt) if the detent in the cocker is stock? Will the stock detent damage the bolt like it does to the stock bolt? If so, is shocktech rebuildable good detend?

Ov3rmind
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
A new detent shouldn't be needed unless you somehow ruin yours. A new bolt can make a difference, but there are more important upgrades. If you do want a new bolt for sure, I would highly suggest an AKA Lightening Bolt, they are superb delrin bolts. As far as detents, my personal opinion is a MacDev one. They have delrin bearings so less wear is caused on the bolt, and they have a little tiny hole in the side, so if the bearing gets stuck you can punch it out a small allen key. Personally, I prefer to steer clear of Shocktech for anything that is for more than just looks.

Catch22
06-27-2003, 11:13 PM
there is no need to get a new one really. Most of the new bolts now have a slot cut into the bolt so the detent almost doesn't touch the bolt at all.

Good bolts are open face such as the compulsive and yes the lightning bolt is good too. Also one of the best is the new WGP delrin.

I agree macdev detents also are good. I don't think shocktech is bad, but don't but the superfly. I have heard that alot of them don't fit well.

FalconGuy016
06-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Well the thing is, the stock detent is digging a hole in the stock bolt, and I dont want that happening to a new bolt :) And plus, the bolt will get stuck on the detent occasionally

Mossman
06-28-2003, 01:07 AM
Get a nice frame and pneumatics first, then worry about the bolt and internals. When you see stock bolts that have a gouge in em from the detent those are usually heavily used guns. They wont do anything except for superficial damage to the bolt unless you put many thousands of shots through it.

Also your detent may be in tighter than necessary, adjust it out as far as you can without double feeding ever.

FeelTheRT
06-28-2003, 02:02 PM
forget the bolt, get yourself a spring kit, a file and some sand paper. With the spring kit, you will achieve incredable efficiency and able to run lower cocker pressure, and with the file, you will be able to file down your lug and your sear so that they are round and you will get a real nice and smooth pull. Polish up the sear and lug with the sand papers. Then you should be looking into barrels and regs.

pito189
06-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
I would highly suggest an AKA Lightening Bolt, they are superb delrin bolts.

The AKA Lightening bolt is not delrin. It is aluminum. Unless there newest one is delrin.

PaInTbAlLeR476
06-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Get the eclispe fang one, its a peice of rubber and it does a good job, and no bolt scrathcing:)
just order it at the same time you get the bolt.

Mossman
06-28-2003, 04:13 PM
and the newest lightening bolt is, infact, delrin :)

pito189
06-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
and the newest lightening bolt is, infact, delrin :)

Thanks Moss, thats what I figured, last year when a teammate got one, it was aluminum.

Ov3rmind
06-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Actually you have the option of aluminum or delrin. As far as I know, those both have always been options for the Lightening Bolt.

pito189
06-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Oh, pito removes foot from mouth.:(

UThomas
06-29-2003, 12:18 AM
The lightning bolt has been out since around 96 or 97 so I think the delrin version has only been in the last couple years.

Kapp makes a ball detente with a nylon ball bearing that won't nick your bolt btw...

AzrealDarkmoonZ
06-29-2003, 09:38 AM
The detente is stopping the bolt? Sounds like something terribly wrong has happened to the ball detente. Somehow it has become screwed in way to far. Also many bolts nowadays have little notches on the side fr the ball detente to slide across so it does not scar your bolt.

Az qwww.air-powered.com

RRfireblade
06-30-2003, 07:40 PM
My detent ball stuck and get shot out months ago.I'm done with 'em.Don't need it, don't miss it.(still got the body screwed in tho)

I'm a big fan of the JAM bolt.Delrin,antichop. Works like a charm.

www.apbbolts.com

Jay.