PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

mag_pbg
08-14-2001, 06:12 AM
http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif I got Poison Ivy and I havn't been able to sleep for abotu a week becasue of how bad it itches, and this is my first time ever getting it!!!

------------------
Cocker killer

magattack
08-14-2001, 09:03 AM
Well out here in newfoundland we have poison oak. It went through to pairs of jeans i was wearing and stung me, and it itches like CRAZY, put some gold bond cream on it, it works really good

Thordic
08-14-2001, 09:57 AM
Ask your doctor for Elocon cream, if its not a very severe case. Usually doctors will readily give you a prescription for a cream like that if you just show them the rash and tell them it is really itching.

If its a severe case, ask your doctor for cortisone pills. Nothing on earth works better than these pills once you have poison anything. But, considering how they are steroids, doctors only give them out in the most extreme cases (I was lucky enough to get 40 of them once, and it lasted me through 4 seperate instances of poison ivy).

And, although too late for you now, if you know you are going to be around it, go to your doctors BEFORE the summer, and ask for the preventive shot. They can give you a shot that will last for that season that will keep you from having a reaction to the oils. I wish they had that stuff when I was a kid, woulda solved me a ton of itchy misery :-)

------------------
CamoSplashed MiniMag
S/N MM12913
Clear AGD Warp Feed
14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

beam
08-14-2001, 10:34 AM
Now that you've gotten it, you will be more suseptible to getting it again, and the rash will be more severe.

There is this stuff that you can get at Wal-Mart in the pharmaceuticals that you put on before you go into the woods and it prevents the ivy oil from bothering your skin.

Poison ivy is just an allergic reaction.

------------------
Intricate are you among the masses.... PAX217

irbodden
08-14-2001, 10:41 AM
Another thing you can do is "cold presses" get a bag of ice, and put it on your infected area and push it down for a minute or two, than the itchies are gone! I got poison ivy my first time too, It only lasted 3-4 days though. Remember the cortozone(sp?)

-RIck

Army
08-14-2001, 10:59 AM
(Dang, I knew I shouldn't have deleted it from my files!)

There are many over-the-counter creams and barriers you can use PRIOR to going out into the woods. One of my hunting buddies sent me a bunch of them to try. I am VERY succeptable to a Poison Oak outbreak, as most blond, fair skinned people are, and these baariers work fantastic!

http://www.hheadproducts.com/poib.htm

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=761

You have a 15-20 minute grace period to wash off the oil from poison oak. In sensitive people, the oil can cause swelling, blisters and horrendous oozing and itching.

This is the best stuff (http://www.ivyblock.com/ivyblock.htm) I have used out here in California as we have whole hillsides, 40-50 acres, covered in poison oak. It gets pretty hellish during fire season as the Urishoil is carried with the smoke. Urishiol, or the sap of the plant, is what causes the skin reaction.

------------------
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." Patton; The man, the Warrior.

PyRo
08-14-2001, 04:06 PM
Just do what i do and be immune to it http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif I go through it all the time, and have never gotten it http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

-Jôker-
08-14-2001, 04:57 PM
i had never gotten it before this summer (i was immune apparently cause im alwys outside in it) but since i got it i go out in the woods walkin around barely gettin in to ive got it again.... sucks but o well i dont get bad rashes

------------------
AutoMag68
PowerFeed
Reactor Valve
BenchMark 2x
LabVert Adapter
Dye Gas Thru Grip
Dye 14 in Boomstick
Warp Feed
Stock Bolt
SOON TO BE
RT Valve
E-Lcd or hyper Frame
ANS Venturi
Some Sort of paint job
10in BoomStick

"our guns are better because we care enough to make them as good as we can. Now don't take my word for it, go over to the Spyder forum and ask the president of that company why his guns are better than Mags. When he gives you an answer come back here and tell us about it."
Tom Kaye
President
AGD

mag_pbg
08-14-2001, 05:01 PM
Pyro I was just like you I could grab a hand full and rub it all over my body and still not get it and then i went out behind my house in a field and got it, pretty bad to it's all over my right leg my right arm my left arm and my stomach!

------------------
Cocker killer

Peanut The Paintballer
08-14-2001, 08:20 PM
same here lol. i havent had it in 6 plus years and this summer i get it twice. One so severe that the had me on watch at the hospital cause it was so badly infected that the bubbles almost came an inch off the skin and i had a huge red line up my leg which meant it was in my blood. Needless to say, i was out for 6 weeks(yes i had it for 6 weeks, you try living with that.) now its just on my arm and i take care of it like every 15 mins with anti itch stuff lol.

Tbone
08-14-2001, 08:34 PM
Lucky for me, I work in a Pharmacy so the pharmacist just gives me the strongest stuff he has without a prescription (it's amazing, the ivy rash is gone in 2 days!). Anyway, at least none of you is as dumb as my friend who decided to pull up all the poison ivy and burn it. Guess what? He breathed in the smoke by accident and then guess where he got poison ivy!

Yes, it really sucked for him.

Paintballer86
08-14-2001, 09:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magattack:
it itches like CRAZY, put some gold bond cream on it, it works really good</font>

Ya know where else gold bond works REALLY well dont you..... http://www.automags.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
If you run, you will only be marked tired

Paintballer86
08-14-2001, 09:46 PM
Also one of my friends decided to go camping and took a dump in the woods. Guess what he used to wipe. yup. You guessed it. It was so bad, he couldnt "go" for a week and had to hve something done to stop it because it was spreading...farward...if ya know what I mean...

------------------
If you run, you will only be marked tired

MagMan5446
08-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Poison Ivy is one of the few things that has not happened to me.

------------------
I don't cry when my dog runs away
I don't get angry with the bills I have to pay
I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot,
Hits the bottle and goes right to the rocks.
F*ckin' and fightin, it's all the same,
Livin' with Louie-dog's the only way to stay sane
Let the lovin' Let the lovin' come back to me...

Sublime
R.I.P. Bradley James Nowell
2.22.68-5.25.96

netjunk1e
08-14-2001, 11:21 PM
I found the best stuff for taking away poisen Ivy/Oak. In minor reactions it will take it out in one treatment(use), but in bad cases it takes a little longer. It also takes away all of the itching. The product actually removes the urushiol oil (the oil in oisen ivy) out of your skin. Here is the link to their web site:

http://www.zanfel.com/

The product is called Zanfel and if for both poisen ivy and oak. I have unfortenly had to use it many times but it has worked every time. I hope this helps you out.

Robbie Kimmell

mag_pbg
08-15-2001, 04:40 AM
THANX Irbodden that cold press really did wonders for my poison ivy it shrunk it right up http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif!!!!!!!!!!! And to everybody else THANX for your help!!!!!!!

------------------
Cocker killer

Major Ho
08-15-2001, 06:36 AM
Where is hitmanmg or cphilip? I think one of them is in the medical industry. A pharmasist or something? I dunno, just something that popped in my head of someone who may be able to help.

Peanut The Paintballer
08-15-2001, 01:55 PM
About the post talking about the gold bond, I didnt think this stuff actually worked well so i put some on the back of my legs as a joke. and i mean i put WAY too much on. I couldnt sit down for a half an hour it hurt so bad lol.

shartley
08-15-2001, 11:29 PM
Well, I tend to go against the grain on things (big surprise there).

I like to use any Treatment Wash that is handy (the ones that are a wash, not a cream). I wash the bubbles VERY good with cool water, several times. Then I bust them open (yeah.. a no no), and rinse them VERY well with cool water. Then I wash the area several times again in cool water and the Treatment Wash.

I have found if you do this early enough, you will not get "scars" as some will tell you, and it does NOT spread. The key is doing this several times a day (because they WILL fill back up).

By busting them open, I find that it helps dry them out quicker, and thus I have been able to get rid of the stuff in just a few days.

Like I said, I am NOT a Doctor. I am just telling what I do.... and have been doing for years for quick results and have had NO scarring. The last time I did this was this spring. I got a good case on my hands from doing wood. And even when it was on my hands, my method kept it from spreading.

But everyone is free to do as they wish. If you try my way... make sure you keep on top of it, or it WILL spread quite quickly.

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

f3rr3+
01-11-2004, 12:09 PM
THREAD RESURECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bornl33t
01-11-2004, 01:17 PM
I vote he gets banned for pulling this one up... anyone else?

FordPrefect
01-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I'll second that one. :p

AcemanPB
01-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't get it, is this supposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

breg
01-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by f3rr3+

Did this take talent or something???

beam
01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Yes, ban him.

cphilip
01-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by f3rr3+

Do it again and I reset you post count and your gone for three days....

bornl33t
01-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cphilip

Do it again and I reset you post count and your gone for three days....

*snicker*:D

-=Squid=-
01-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

Do it again and I reset you post count and your gone for three days.... Burninated. Now please dont ban me. :)