PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down the PF tube

Brett23
06-30-2003, 07:33 AM
Just out of idle curiousity. Could you cut down the power feed tube to make it shorter? You know with out hurting the bodies feed ability. The feed tube length on mags is just obnoxious.

silentdeath55
06-30-2003, 08:52 AM
If i'm not mistaken, the PF on the mag is the same length as any other marker with a power feed. You could cut it down, but i wouldnt take that chance. AGD makes the product the way they do because it is the best. If you have an extra main body laying around, try it out.

-=Squid=-
06-30-2003, 09:11 AM
I see a lot of people who have cut them down and they work fine. Of course, if its just a grey non PF body, go for it because you need a new one anyways.

Muzikman
06-30-2003, 09:14 AM
If you are running a Halo or similar I see no reason why you couldn't. The loader you use just needs to work with a short ball stack. Also, watch what you cut it with, hack saw's don't usually cut it(pun intended).

ChuckWag78
06-30-2003, 10:24 AM
I have an extra standard mag body and I have wanted to try to cut down. What is the best thing to cut the tube with?

Sparks
06-30-2003, 10:30 AM
dremel with cutting wheels. and as long as there's enough area for an elbow to grasp you've got plenty of feed neck left and you won't have any problems..

ShooterJM
06-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ChuckWag78
I have an extra standard mag body and I have wanted to try to cut down. What is the best thing to cut the tube with?

I used a hacksaw on mine. Could have done one blade, but used two to be safe.

cannedheat
06-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Heres mine after it has been cut down. Its very easy to do, I just measured how far my elbow would come down on the feed tube and then used that measurment to come up from the body and added a little extras space to be safe. And to make sure that you get a straight line while cutting I would wrap some masking tape around your line. I recomend doing it, it is almost like a centerfeed now.

FalconGuy016
06-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Did you cut the feedneck of your hopper too?

gortman
06-30-2003, 01:58 PM
like CANNEDHEAT said, I marked mine with my elbow, gave some leawa and cut it with a pipe cutter. took awile because thats some tough metal but it was clean. Took a file to it after words to take any sharp burrs in the meatal

Russ
06-30-2003, 04:38 PM
I cut mine down. I removed .700", using a milling machine. The gun works fine, and offers a lower profile.

Barjack420
06-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Its not that hard as long as your careful. i did it to one of my pf left bodies a week or two ago. I noticed I could cut off about an inch of excess metal between where my plastic elbow ended and the hole at the top of the pf.
I just took a grinding wheel and carefully cut the tube. Aft that i grinded away a little of the plastic elbow so it could fit even further down the tube. Now the edge of my plastc elbow is touching the oval hole on top of the pf.
I lowered the profile of my hopper a little bit, Not a huge amount but hey, i had a benchgrinder and some time to kill.

afrankart
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Before I got my ULE body, I also milled about .625" off of my powerfeed tube. If you so it in a mill, like I did, be sure to find a dowel pin as close to the inner diameter of the tube as you can. Put the dowel pin in the plug end of the tube, secure it with some tape so it doesen't move on you, then put the powertube in a vice and mill away.

shartley
06-30-2003, 04:58 PM
I like that. I may do that for mine.

silentdeath55
06-30-2003, 04:58 PM
I would say use a pipe cutter. It would probably give you the cleanest cut(without milling). If you do use a pipe cutter. I would file out the lip it creates on the inside of the tube.

Russ
06-30-2003, 05:05 PM
If you so it in a mill, like I did, be sure to find a dowel pin as close to the inner diameter of the tube as you can. defintely, use a .750" dowel pin, or just a piece of stock...

afrankart
06-30-2003, 05:18 PM
I think a .752 or .753 was the best fit for me.

j.t.
07-01-2003, 10:17 AM
After seeing this thread I decided to give it a try. Its hard to see the difference it made in this pic...

tony3
07-01-2003, 10:59 AM
I cut mine down with a pipe cutter. I cut mine almost too short, but I got an adjustable elbow so no big deal. It is way better. With the pipe cutter creating a lip on it, I just took my dremel and sanded it off. Be using it for 5 months and it works fine. Plus with an egg and lvl 10, I aint chopping

BajaBoy
07-01-2003, 11:52 AM
I used a Metal cutting band saw for my Pf body. But then i bought my emag and needed to cut it down within tht week bc i had a game so my dad did it with this air powered cutting saw (i dunno the name)

I wouldnt sugjust using a dremel, if your gunna do something then do it right with the right tools.