PDA

View Full Version : RT valve + CO2

GoatBoy
07-01-2003, 06:15 PM
OK, I know this has been sort of answered, but... I would like a better explanation of this.

Why exactly can the RT style regulator not be used with CO2. Don't tell me "because it doesn't like it". I want a real answer. Lets presume I am perfectly capable of keeping liquid out of the gun.

The reason I ask is because I get the feeling that some places cut their HPA with some CO2. Like, a significant amount. I do go scuba diving, so I'm well aware of what air is supposed to smell like (I feel kind of funny saying that), and I can smell when something's got CO2 in it as opposed normal compressed air. (I don't know if it's just me, but the CO2, at least around here, smells like Dr. Pepper. It's probably not the CO2 itself I'm smelling since it's 'supposed to be' odorless, but there is some component in there that I can smell.)

So if a shop cuts their air with more CO2 than normal, will that adversely affect an RT style regulator?

BajaBoy
07-01-2003, 06:17 PM
the seals wont seal lol. (i believe) most likely the reg seat?

im just guessing

Dayspring
07-01-2003, 06:17 PM
The orings inside the RT valve aren't made for CO2. The RT valve recharges so fast that you'd suck liquid CO2 into the chamber and the orings would freeze. Therefore, you'd piss CO2 out every orifice in the valve.

Fun eh?

Sparks
07-01-2003, 06:32 PM
I believe compressed air is a thinner gas than co2, so no co2 wouldn't have any problems firing in an RT. My guess is that it's impractical for anyone to use co2, ever, and as such AGD just says "won't work with co2" to cover their bases, in case someone does something stupid with co2 and it ruins every o-ring in the valve. Then AGD can say "i told you so. now we don't have to fix your mistakes".

I can't see any reason that co2 wouldn't work with an RT valve, but it's easier for AGD to say "don't use co2" and avoid any potential problems.

a_malfunction
07-01-2003, 06:34 PM
The valve actually recharges so fast that the thermal properties of CO2 prevent it from being a viable gas to use...

jaylock33
07-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Why would someone cut compressed air which they can get for free asuming they have a compressor with something they would have to pay for. Only reason people usually cut things is to increase the profit.

Nobody077
07-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Dont worry about the smell that much Goatboy, The Air you get from your Scuba shop is filtered to be extreamily clean and dry, thats why it doesent smell. The stuff for your paint ball gun usaly comes from a rundown compressor with a crappy filter/dryer unit. The sweet/Co2 smell is probaly oil vapor that made it past the filter/dryer.

GoatBoy
07-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jaylock33
Why would someone cut compressed air which they can get for free asuming they have a compressor with something they would have to pay for. Only reason people usually cut things is to increase the profit.

Well, this is all conjecture.

Lets say that your assumption is WRONG, and that they don't have a compressor back there. And that's not a bad assumption because the higher PSI compressors are expensive.

Now lets say maybe they have plenty of CO2 laying around. They might start with a very light fill of CO2, then from there top it off with the actual HPA. Maybe this helps their ability to keep the HPA tanks at their higher pressures.

I dunno, I just find it hard to pass off what I smell out of the tank.

And... the original question sort of still stands; there seem to be somewhat conflicting bottom lines (no pun intended). I understand feeding liquid in the gun is bad. I understand the impracticality of running it off pure CO2. That's clearly not what I'm talking about here...

Brak
07-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Sparks
I believe compressed air is a thinner gas than co2, so no co2 wouldn't have any problems firing in an RT. My guess is that it's impractical for anyone to use co2, ever, and as such AGD just says "won't work with co2" to cover their bases, in case someone does something stupid with co2 and it ruins every o-ring in the valve. Then AGD can say "i told you so. now we don't have to fix your mistakes".

I can't see any reason that co2 wouldn't work with an RT valve, but it's easier for AGD to say "don't use co2" and avoid any potential problems.

yup. youre wrong. its actually very complicated, and if RT's COULD use co2, trust me, AGD would tell us. its pretty much because the RT valve recharges so fast that it will not give enough time for the co2 to change from liquid to gas. co2 in co2-viable guns is actually more fluid than gas, and the valve is open enough for it to expand. the RT valve opens and closes so fast, that the time that other guns give the co2 to expand is non existent, and guess what would happen: a big valve full of liquid co2, destroying your o rings and leaking out of every seal possible. in other words, it "won't work with co2"

yurchikcs
07-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Sparks
so no co2 wouldn't have any problems firing in an RT.
If you could keep it a gas, there is no problem. A full CO2 bottle, however, is full of liquid CO2. If any of this liquid CO2 gets into the valve and has a chance to expand into a gas (which it does by simply flowing through it) it draws heat energy from everything surrounding it. In this case, it is drawing heat energy from the valve and o-rings. After a few rapid shots, liquid CO2 gets into the valve and removes enough heat that it litterally freezes the O-rings. Anyone (like myself) who has run CO2 on a standard valve long enough has experienced this and has had to replace o-rings because of it.

In short, an RT valve freezes exactly like a standard valve. It just does it a whole lot faster and easier, making it impractical. You would have to replace a couple o-rings every game. Don't worry, there is no anti-CO2 conspiracy.