PDA

View Full Version : Used Mag Checklist

Tyril
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey guys. I call once again upon the vast knowlege that is the AO tech forums.

My friend is looking to get into the mag scene, and found a nice deal on the forums near to our homes. We're going later today to check it out, and I'd like to know what flag issues to look for.

It is a 68 p/f body with an I frame, classic valve and level 10. Also included is an adjustible tank.

So far I've assembled:

-Unusual outer wear (as if abused)
-Leaking (level 10 and non)
-Sear Damage
-General condition (dirty interals)
-Worn O rings
-Able to fire at least 300 fps with no V Nut leaking
-Reg seat
-Aftermarket Non AGD parts

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-mike

ignatz
07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
IMHO, the only things to avoid are the issues that will void your warranty. The valve should have matched serial numbers. Ideally, it should have a star/stars on the valve. Remove the valve from the marker and inspect the area where the power tube connects to the 'dump chamber' (front part of the valve). There should be a welded line that connected the two pieces on the side of the valve just behind the spot where the power tube attaches.

Aside from that, I'd just make sure that marker fires and that the Level 10 is dialed in correctly. Also make sure you get all the extra LX parts.

yurchikcs
07-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Leaking shouldn't really be a concern when buying, ideally you should rebuild every valve when you get it (parts kits cost around $20 and have enough o-rings to rebuild a valve and most of a second). I rebuild them before I even gas them up for the first time, so I know they will be good to go the first time I use it. Mags really don't wear internally a whole lot and most outside wear has no effect on function. IMHO, a valve without stars is not a bad thing, I prefer the older pre-star valves for the 'vintage' look, plus I never send my stuff into AGD when I can just fix it myself, but having some stars might be a plus for your friend.

I agree in that you should make sure the serial numbers match and you get all the LX kit parts.