PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so amazed with the Angel Speed?

Automaggin2
07-02-2003, 10:59 PM
I see everyone wants an angel speed now......why?! To me, its just another Angel except without an LCD. whats diffrent about it? The solenoid? It still operates the same. just like Timmys. Most of them are the same, but everyone goes crazy when a new one comes out....

I saw a speed today and I wasnt to impressed with it (except when i got shot with it in the back, and the guy was shooting hot, that impressed me :rolleyes: *sarcasm*)

-=Squid=-
07-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Well, I kinda wonder the same thing...it looks like an overpriced IR3 to me. Its low pressure! The new paintball fad! Who would want an angel without an LCD screen anyways?

JesseB
07-02-2003, 11:07 PM
It is supposedly an ir3 simplified all you do is charge it, air it up turn it on put paint in and rip with it. No extra game timer, thermometer, lcd bs. Just a plain simple gun that you turn on and still performs like an angel. Thats the draw to it. No mo' no less what you see is what you get.

Ov3rmind
07-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Well, I kinda wonder the same thing...it looks like an overpriced IR3 to me. Its low pressure! The new paintball fad! Who would want an angel without an LCD screen anyways?
How could it be an overpriced IR3 when it's cheaper than an IR3?

It's certainly not revolutionary, but there are reasons it is better than past Angel models: Cheaper, Lighter, Faster, Sensi has been working better than COPS.

AcemanPB
07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
I've shot one before and it shot much better/faster than other iR3's I have shot.

Also the new sensi is supposedly better than cops2

Also I've heard that it's loads more efficent.

Miscue
07-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Bling bling!

adam shannon
07-02-2003, 11:13 PM
a couple guys i know got them, ive shot them. they are sweet...if your an angel fan thats the one for you. no bells, no whistles, no thermomiter, or instant messaging...just well, er, um SPEED. if you buy all the 50% less this, and 30% more that than an ir3 go for it. im happy with my e-mags.

breg
07-02-2003, 11:15 PM
I think it was mentioned before, but it is a simple no frills Angel. It's one of those charge and shoot kinda toys.
I think that they redesigned the bolt and the ram, moved the battery stcak, opened up more area for low pressruw, added a third trigger adjustment(called "Toe" adjustment- allows you to pick where the trigger activates the marker), and added the LED board.

CpSuPeRkId
07-02-2003, 11:21 PM
well actually internally they are different than all other wdp angels. they have the lpr and valve on separate sides creating a massive chamber of air. this aids in the LP operation. so they still work the same, but things are just rearranged internally. they have some new features too. no lcd which i actually prefer myself, a new trigger that has a TOE adjustment(activation point), and sensi. sensi has more of a forced mode vs. cops2 but it still allows a clearing shot every second incase sensi didnt pick up on a paintball. it also has the delay modes too like cops2. lastly its the speed of it. these things are MUCH faster than all the other angels. you will notice the difference just like i did when going from a mem6 ir3 to a speed. now even though these features are better and the gun is overall a better gun than the other angels, my personal experience hasnt been so good...

the gun DOES have some bugs to be worked out reguardless of the people that say "mine has been nothing but flawless." and things of that sort. its really only 2 areas that are lacking.

#1 is sensi. this thing is like on crack or something. first of all when i got it and tried shooting it w/ a yboard evo2 with sensi on, i got nothing but slow shooting, no shooting, and delays. i tried the drop test where you drop a paintball in the breach and see if sensi "passes" or doesnt pass. it didnt pass. it only picked up on about 3 out of 10 dropped paintballs. i did all the troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the sensor is just defective. TAG sent me a new one and i hooked it up and gave the drop test a shot. 20 out of 20 passes. looked good. i went outside and nothing but bad occured. i tried ripping off some paint again and the thing just starts skipping and stalling and not shooting when im pulling the trigger. i go inside and do the drop test and i find 2 out of 10 passes on the drop test. im like WTF??? i turn sensi off and turn down my MROF w/ my yboard evo2 and it ripped. so sensi is just ghetto. and it wasnt just mine, before my speed arrived i saw TONS of people w/ sensi problems just like mine. so this anti chop system definitely has some bugs to be worked out. i feel that if the sensitivity was adjustable like cops2 it would be alot more reliable.

#2 is the battery voltage. its like 4.8 volts. most solenoids work on like 5 volts. i dunno why wdp tried risking a 4.8v considering it has to power a solenoid AND light up a full LED display. anyways, the problem the low output causes is first shot drop off(FSDO). if anybody was on any angel owner sites they would notice EVERYONE complaining of FSDO. the common saying was "charge your gun, it says its full from the factory but its not, charge it fully and the FSDO will go away." well... it did for about 2000 shots. after that, the solenoid started suffering from a lack of voltage again and FSDO started occuring. when the gun was degassed you could even hear the first "click" of the solenoid was very quiet, then the following clicks were normal. so even after a full 4 hour charge FSDO is still present in lots of speeds due to the battery output being so darn low.

my point is, its a great marker, but like with all new markers there are bugs to be worked out. i didnt have the patience to wait for 6 board versions to be released before the guns is bugfree like with ir3s. so i decided to try another brand of markers out besides wdp even though my ir3 was an awesome gun. always worked, never messed up, never chopped, but it just didnt perform like the speed or any other gun out there. i went to aka and im now in love with vikings.... anyways back to the point. people do have a right to be amazed with the speed because it is a great gun, but it does have some bugs to be worked out and until then i wont even consider shooting it again.

McSweedish
07-03-2003, 12:17 AM
blah, was already said.

AutomagRT1483
07-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm not amazed by it, I never seen it ye. I saw an IR3 and the trigger was too sensitive for my liking.

magmonkey
07-03-2003, 05:00 AM
i think it is closer to what the angel should be ... I don't buy into spending $400 more so my marker can tell the temp can text message, and have 50000 usless modes of fire.... What I want is a FAST marker that is reliable and can take the abuse.

with that being said my emag fits the bill very well in
those aspects and I would not trade for any angel:)

JAM
07-03-2003, 08:51 AM
my thoughts after owning one:

CP's right about the sensi- I think it's totally worthless... why mess around with that damn rod and sensor when an eye would do a much better job?

The FSDO is very bad, but i don't think it's from voltage, I think it's from the internals getting "stuck"... with the low pressure operation, the pressure is low enough that it has a hard time moving the ram after the internals have been sitting still for awhile. you can use a lighter lube on the ram, or increase the operating pressure to counter act this "sticking".. if the problem was with voltage, it would happen on every shot, not just the first one, PLUS, the solenoid doesn't affect velocity, it just affects rate of fire, which is certainly not a problem for this gun.

The gun just plain rips- when you get your rythm on it, the stream of paint is unbelievable. the problem with this is that it is a light gun and so this cause a bit of rise or kick. maybe a heavier barrel would help.

the trigger is so adjustable- pivot point, negative travel, over travel and firing point- i do wish it had adjustable tension.

the price is right, compared to other guns, it's finally realistically priced (i still believe guns over a grand are rediculous)

the simplicity of it is awesome, turn it on and play. The "speedometer" LEDs are cheesy.

the rotobreech is awesome, all guns shold have access to the breech that is this simple.

it's a great gun.

SyntaxError
07-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-

Wow...the stupidity factor here is WAYYYY up there.

First off, the Speed retails at cheaper than the IR3. Second, the Speed's internals are not only different to run at a lower cyclic pressure, but they allow for better efficiency and higher cyclic rate while shooting, hence the 30 bps cap.

I won't even address the "Who would want an Angel without a screen" question, I for one don't like LCD screens, they manage to distract the hell outta me:D

Also, you don't see many LED boards burn out, do you now?

dre1919
07-03-2003, 09:19 AM
I was in the market for an Angel a little while ago and here was my take:

I was basically looking into the ir3 and the Speed. I briefly thought about picking up the Speed because it was the newest thing out, but there were definitely things I didn't like about it. First off, I'm not down with the fact it's only available in three colors and dust finishes...that BS for a marker I'd spend that much money on. I wasn't impressed with the milling, nor with the cheesy LED speedometer. I felt the lack of an LCD screen made the gun have an overall cheap look to it (since everything seems to have LCD's now).

One of the other features I don't care for is the low pressure operation. In my opinion, I haven't seen anything to suggest signifigant performance increase by going low pressure. The only difference I've ever really noticed is they tend to be a little quieter. One of my covermen on my team has a Shocker, one of the first low pressure styled guns and it shoots just the same as my ir3 now. With the Speed, I'd have to get an adjustable compressed air tank or a second reg just to get the "benefits" of low pressure operation. By the time you do that, it pushes the price of the Speed back up around the ir3's.

Personally, I like all the bells and whistles on the ir3. The stuff isn't hard to use...read the manual! :rolleyes: If I'm paying a grand for a marker, I want it to be able to do everything short of making me breakfast. I bought an ir3, and haven't regretted it one bit. Actually, I'm quite happy they came out with the Speed...I bought my new ir3 used for $699! Thanks WDP!

TheJester
07-03-2003, 09:37 AM
basicly it's an IR3 w/ out all the bells and wistels. so it's an econ version of the IR3. I played a game last week with an IR3 and when i was talking to it's owner he suggested the speed instead, just because you don't need everything that's on the IR3.

this is why everyone likes the speed. (i did it as a zip file because it's a rather large, it's taken directly from the WDP website, but i didn't want the picture taking up 1/2 the page here. the original file was only 126k, but it's still rather large in size.)

GT
07-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Well,
I was one of the few people that wanted WDP just to make an LED angel very simliar to the LED that they made years ago.

Cops sensi whatever you want to call it sux. Sell me an old school angel w/ a good ol beam break and ill buy it.

jb

-=Squid=-
07-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

How could it be an overpriced IR3 when it's cheaper than an IR3?

It's certainly not revolutionary, but there are reasons it is better than past Angel models: Cheaper, Lighter, Faster, Sensi has been working better than COPS.

Its overpriced because it costs the same as a standard IR3 but lacks several features.

Automaggin2
07-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by gtrsi
Well,
I was one of the few people that wanted WDP just to make an LED angel very simliar to the LED that they made years ago.

Cops sensi whatever you want to call it sux. Sell me an old school angel w/ a good ol beam break and ill buy it.

jb

I agree, I dont like any other Angel except the LED's.

sniper1rfa
07-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CpSuPeRkId

#2 is the battery voltage. its like 4.8 volts. most solenoids work on like 5 volts. i dunno why wdp tried risking a 4.8v considering it has to power a solenoid AND light up a full LED display. anyways, the problem the low output causes is first shot drop off(FSDO). if anybody was on any angel owner sites they would notice EVERYONE complaining of FSDO. the common saying was "charge your gun, it says its full from the factory but its not, charge it fully and the FSDO will go away." well... it did for about 2000 shots. after that, the solenoid started suffering from a lack of voltage again and FSDO started occuring. when the gun was degassed you could even hear the first "click" of the solenoid was very quiet, then the following clicks were normal. so even after a full 4 hour charge FSDO is still present in lots of speeds due to the battery output being so darn low.

The angel's batteries have been 4.8V since the beginning. Always. The problem is that the smaller cells used in the speed (they needed room so they could move the LPR, whatever that did). If you want to make sure its the battery, and not just a sticky solenoid, watch the LED screen when you fire. If it dims at all, its your battery. I HIGHLY doubt the battery is the problem. I have had many sticky/defective solenoids that do this. Besides, solenoids just dont require much current, nor do LED's.