PDA

View Full Version : upgrading my OS

Cha0tic
08-16-2001, 07:45 PM
ok i just got windows millenium edition. i have windows98. if i upgrade, will i lose all the files i have on my computer? i want windows 2000, but i don't want to have to reinstall everything...

Miscue
08-16-2001, 07:47 PM
If you already have Win98SE, keep it. Don't install ME. If you do install ME, you're best off saving your stuff, wipe the drive, and do a clean install. Installing the upgrade on top of an existing OS is bad juju... usually not a good idea.

------------------
"Don't mill your tank." - Miscue

Miscue's Profile (http://www.liquidmagma.com/automags/miscue.php)

Marbelizer
08-16-2001, 07:47 PM
As long as you dont format your hard drive you shouldnt, If you got a burner you might want to make a backup just in case. You know how microsoft is. You should have waited another 2 months anyways, That when Xp comes out. Unless you got it for free, then more power to you.

shartley
08-16-2001, 07:51 PM
Listen to Miscue on this one..... I will not get into all the issues, but TRUST me on this one.

But if you don't listen to Miscue and myself.... let me tell you this in advance....

"I told you so."

http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

Cha0tic
08-16-2001, 08:35 PM
ok i won't. i got it for free so it is no sweat. thanks for the warning.

Tbone
08-16-2001, 09:13 PM
Mmmmmmm......Linux.......so many flavors, so little time http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Go with SuSE!!!

mykroft
08-17-2001, 08:46 AM
ME is a massive downgrade from 98SE, take it back if you haven't already opened it. If you have a 500 or faster with at least 256MB RAM, and a big HDD, try Win2K, I'm running Advanced Server Demo, 100 days uptime.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA,14" JnJ Ceramic, AGD Intelliframe Blade, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

Thordic
08-17-2001, 09:01 AM
Just a little story I like to tell people who are thinking of using WinME.

All the employees at CompUSA (sales and tech) got free advance copies of WinME so they would know what they were talking about when it came out. I'd say around 75% of the store installed it that week.

A week later they were all back to their previous OS and the store didn't sell much WinME because all the salespeople hated it.

I've heard more people have problems with WinME.. Its not touching my computer.

------------------
CamoSplashed MiniMag
S/N MM12913
Clear AGD Warp Feed
14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

Xzion
08-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Don't forget the first rule of buying microsoft: Never buy Version 1.0 http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Marbelizer
08-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Ive had ME on my computer for a few months now, and I havent had one problem with it. I dont know what is up with there computers, but I got A IBM Netivsta, Amd duron 700 with 256 megs of ram, a 64 meg ATI Radeon DDR video card and Im not having any problems.

WickeDKlowN
08-18-2001, 03:23 PM
im with Xzion, because i have a new computer w/ ME on it and I HATE IT, im about to format, and put 98SE, or 2K on it. Any have anything to say about 2K?

-Jerry

------------------
WickeDKlowN
IRC:|^XeoN^|
XeoN42069@aol.com
Team TwiztiD (http://teamtwiztid.cjb.net/)
"Huked On Fonix Reely Wurks For Me"

Xtwo007
08-19-2001, 09:06 PM
ME juss has to many precautions and backs up important system stuff behind ur back a lot - causing CPU cycles to be taken up - and its still a new OS and has many bugs - also makes me feel like a dumbass with all its help features poppin up left and right, lol. Personally, if u are a MS user, i'd recommend Win2K Pro, its soo stable and juss runs 10x better than the others - the NTFS is more secure as well. 98SE is a little bit better if u run a lot of games tho, (if u only play a few of the major games like Q3, UT, DII, or HL - then u should be fine wit 2K). For the ones who are more technically inclined Redhat Linux and Slackware are great ....

------------------
.68 Automag Classic S/F
12" DYE IronMan Series BoomStick
Benchmark Center-Drop Craddle
Crossfire 51ci 3000psi
12v Revolution

[This message has been edited by Xtwo007 (edited 08-19-2001).]

MagDog68
08-20-2001, 12:45 AM
I am the Hardware Technician at The MONY Group in NYC and one of my tasks is to roll out all New PCs that come through the office (Nice brand new Dell Optiplex GX150s) as well as all the Laptops (I HATE people who buy Toshiba!).

Anyway, ME SUCKS! Do yourself a favor and stick with Win98SE. Run your Win updates, ScanDisks, Defrags and Virus updates regularly and you will have no problems till you pick up NT. 2k is a dream (well it is a dream until you match it up with Novell and give the clients full administrative rights to their machines....aaaagggggggg).

~Fred

Zo
08-20-2001, 12:52 AM
IBM doesn't offer anything else but ME when i ordered mine. the minute i booted it up i got errors up the @$%. Ten mins later wiped the drive and puit 98SE on it. Dont buy ME .

fenris69
08-20-2001, 12:40 PM
theres nothing wrong with ME, theres nothing wrong with 98. thats like someoone blaming their chops on their mag. no...its your finger. if you wanna run windows(and you have to for games and pr0n) then accept that you cant do a lot of stuff to it(ie run whatever you feel like) without it going down. but seriously i had no probs with the beta winME, i switched back to win98SE for older software support.

belligerant1
08-21-2001, 02:19 PM
currently i'm running w2k pro and i've ran w2k advanced server, and 98se and other 98 and ME. and as far as im concerned, all or windows sucks, get linux, but if you're gonna go with a bill gates money making extravaganza software, atleast gert 2k pro or advanced server. i ran adv. ser. on a 350 k6-2 w/ 80 megs ram and had no problems w/ it. now i run w2k pro office gold on a 1gig athlon w/ 320megs or ram and a 30 gig hard drive. w2k also likes dual processors and overclocking works well in it.

p.s. pirating is good!!!

------------------
mag needed!!!

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?

Tpmxkidd
08-23-2001, 01:17 AM
Ok here's the deal with 98 and ME. Win 98 relies more on DOS to do modt of its background work while ME is less reliant. Most of the problem is created when you "upgrade" from 98 to ME . The upgrade leaves legacy files on your drive that can cause blue screens and general faults. Man I still wish I understood all of what I know about this crap! Anyway it all translates into ones and zeros. Has anyone heard of the "code red " virus ?? It loves win2k and all of its security holes... real big ones.

[This message has been edited by Tpmxkidd (edited 08-23-2001).]

FeelTheRT
08-23-2001, 10:45 AM
find a beta version of Whistler and try it out http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Nitrix
05-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Just testing my signature.

WickeDKlowN
05-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Why the hell would you test your sig in a massivly old thread? There is a sig test thread you know...

Halliday
05-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Just testing my fingers.

Blazestorm
05-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Holy... I was like wow uber nub... than I read the date 2001 WTF?

-_-

Another resurrection =D

Miscue
05-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Thread closed. I just noticed that somebody said there was nothing wrong with ME. I should have jumped all over that one 3 years ago! ME = biggest POS!