PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sports, Anyone?

Russ
08-22-2001, 06:13 PM
Myself, I've been an avid pistol shooter for about 13 years. I shot trap twice a week for the last 6 or so years, but have stopped due to exsessive paintball playing! I'm the rifle and pistol committee chairman at my club (the Valley Springs Sportsman's Club) I run plate and pin shoots twise a month at the club.

------------------
Micro E-Mag in Wild Tiger ~ Conquest 88/4500 ~ PTP Warp Feed
Spyder TL+ ~ LP ~ eLCD ~ AGD Flatline ~ Warp Feed
TL+ ~ a few mods
Bob Long Millennium
ICD ThunderCat

shartley
08-22-2001, 06:28 PM
Because of my past work history, I have a deep love of sidearms. I now actively teach my children with Air Pistols.

It is great family fun, and can get quite competitive. We have quite a lot of land for being considered "in town", and we go out to the barn WAY out back and do our shooting.

It is good to see others enjoy the sport. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Added: And I was going to get my son into Archery (I did a bit of it as a kid), but I have not gotten around to it.... unfortunately. http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif I am sure others can relate.
------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-22-2001).]

MagMan5446
08-22-2001, 07:46 PM
I love guns. I go to the range twice a month, and I trap shoot about once a week.

I used to be into archery but at the time I wasn't too strong, me being 7 or 8.

[This message has been edited by MagMan5446 (edited 08-22-2001).]

rifleman
08-22-2001, 08:31 PM
Oh yeah, big time into shooting sports.
Did smallbore for a few years, then I stepped up into highpower and found out I'm pretty good at it. For an unclassified junior I took first in sitting rapid in the masters class at my first tourny. Going to my third competition this weekend. BlackVCG is also into shooting sports (air rifle I think?) Ever go to Camp Perry?

Adam

Magadeth
08-22-2001, 08:46 PM
My friends and I go shooting all the time. Mostly out in back of a sawmill.
I've got a little .380 an SKS, 12gauge and my pride and joy, a fed arms rec'd HK91

Army
08-22-2001, 09:15 PM
Charge 7 white bag, zero deflection, 15 degrees elevation, fire for effect!

....and God help those who are downrange...

I am heavily in to the shooting and hunting sports, as many here will tell you!
Sarah goes along a lot to the range, but not too often to shoot squirrels (!)

Big kick for me is to long range ground squirrels. The .223 goes to 400yds and the .308 hits'em out to 600. Grounders are only about 2.5" wide and 6-8" high, makes for some interesting wind doping!

------------------
http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/contrib/blackeye/linkcoolMIR.gif Got Elves?

Bub3814
08-22-2001, 11:10 PM
I have been shooting pistols for about the last 5 years with my father, and shooting skeet about the last 3 years...

My favorite pistol is my Luger (grandfather gave it to me) my father's favorite is his old customized Colt 1911 (did all the gunsmithing himself) used to use it in pistol matches

My favorite shotgun is my Browning over and under...had my best day of skeet shooting ever with this shotgun, about 2 weeks ago, shot 20/25, father's favorite is his Benelli pump (12 guage) (forgot what kind)...

I wish more kids would go shooting and hunting, especially so they could learn how to properly handle a firearm...

as for archery, I try to do it once a month, I learned I prefer recurve over compounds...
------------------
~Bub~

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
-Dizzy Dean

[This message has been edited by Bub3814 (edited 08-23-2001).]

Magadeth
08-23-2001, 07:55 AM
Hey Army, do those squirrels come apart when hit by .308? I've been invited on a Squirrel hunt on a friends land, and since my ethic is 'Eat what you kill' I need them not to disintegrate. I'll eat anything once, and am told they taste like the dark meat from turkey.mmmm I was going to borrow one of his .22's for this, but if I can use one of my rifles, I'd rather do that.

Micromag5371
08-23-2001, 01:23 PM
I would like to get into long range rifle shooting. I think it is neat and challenging, but most rewarding. My dad has an old WWI Russian rifle, its a 7.62 MM X 58 I believe,
pretty neat looking. If i do get into rilfe shooting at a local rod & gun club, is it safe to fire this old rifle? I need my instruction courses anyways, so it will be a while before i get out there.
Any info would be appreciated.

------------------
"It takes a man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at him."

micromag s/n 003554
need a pic?- http://www.geocities.com/unblood/Paintball.html

InfinatyBPS
08-23-2001, 01:39 PM
I shoot some pelet and bb guns. I have a Crossman Revolver, and a Daisy, glock replica. 435 fps on both, I also have a Pump Riffle.

------------------
http://members.fortunecity.com/vigilante_masters/logo2.jpg

Jeb_Hoge
08-23-2001, 02:35 PM
.22 and 12-gauge, back in the day. I had a Ruger 10-22 semiauto, three 30 round clips, it was like a little zip gun at times but I could stick bullets through a Coke bottle neck with iron sights from 40 feet. And took the heads off a couple of venomous snakes (my first snapshooting!). I shot rented 9mm at a range on a few occasions, but once I got moved into "the city" and took up with my wife-to-be, well, the shooting dwindled, and I sold the Ruger for paintball $$$.

mikey101
08-23-2001, 05:06 PM
I have a 20 gauge shotgun that I love to shoot trap with. i used to go with my dad a lot to a gun club when I lived in Indiana, but then we moved up here. I still go every now and then, but my true passion now is dove hunting. I also believe in eat what you kill, but dove, wrapped in bacon, stuffed with jalapanoes is heaven. Can't wait 'til september 1st! opening of dove season! and I can gaurantee you that I will be at our location first thing!

MagMan5446
08-23-2001, 06:01 PM
I own no guns...but my favorite would have to be my uncle's Colt .45, It's balances, shoots nice, and looks cool.

Lugers are nice too.

Dogbone
08-23-2001, 08:13 PM
I used to hunt...a lot. I eventually got to the point where I was killing things just to kill them. Then one day I stepped back and looked at what I was doing and decided God probably wasn't to happy with me and what I was doing. I haven't hunted since.

I still like to shoot and have a my old 20 gauge/.22 mag over-under. I also have a 10-22 and Remington 870 12 gauge. I've been seriously considering trying out cowboy action shooting, that really looks like a lot of fun.

rifleman
08-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Dogbone- I see your logic, but as long as you eat what you kill, it's perfectly fine. If your just killing to kill then its a no no in my book.

j_gets
08-24-2001, 05:14 PM
I personally like handguns. There's not a better stress-buster in the world for me than to shoot off a box or two of .45. I don't own one yet (not old enough, 20) but I've got my eye set on a new Glock in April.

Josh

zvanut
08-24-2001, 06:05 PM
i like archery (and i am good) but w/ my mom bein a RN (rgistered nurse for those who dont know) i own no guns and probably never will.

------------------
My Mag can beat your spyder w/ no paint.~~~me

Dont worry if it wasnt for losers like u, There couldnt be winners like me.~~~me

My mag is my mag, not yours, so go get your own one and be happy like me. ~me

Army
08-24-2001, 07:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Magadeth:
Hey Army, do those squirrels come apart when hit by .308? I've been invited on a Squirrel hunt on a friends land, and since my ethic is 'Eat what you kill' I need them not to disintegrate. I'll eat anything once, and am told they taste like the dark meat from turkey.mmmm I was going to borrow one of his .22's for this, but if I can use one of my rifles, I'd rather do that.</font>

Oh yeah they do! POOF red mist! Don't get ground squirrels confused with cute, and tasty, tree(grey, red, fox) squirrels. Ground squirrels colonize huge areas of fields, hills, treelines, railroad banks, road beds, dikes, levys, dams etc... and are incredibley destructive. Here in Cali where I live, the squirrels are responsible for the largest concentration of Bubonic Plague carrying fleas, of anywhere in the world. This is the same Plague that killed 2/3 of medievel Europe. I have no problem blasting them and leaving the mess for the coyotes to clean up (besides, I like shooting coyotes too!).

You may thank me for saving your life http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/contrib/blackeye/linkcoolMIR.gif Got Elves?

a_malfunction
08-24-2001, 09:48 PM
Thank you Army!..... protecting us from both the bubonic plague and from whatever Commie country is after us...... THANKS!!! http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother, you're already screwed.

Magadeth
08-24-2001, 10:14 PM
Thanks, I'm in Mass, so all I see is grey squirrels. I think I will stick with the borrowed .22. "Poof red mist" LOL