PDA

View Full Version : regulator/HPA need help with purchase

ZCute
07-06-2003, 01:24 AM
well, i own a intelliframe mag which after this weekend will have level 10 and mabey ULE, and my HPA tank is a crappy 48 ci 3K PMI tank. i dont really know how regulators work......do i need one and how do they work and what should i get for my gun spending less than $60. my FPS consistancy is quite bad.....i dont remember exactly what it was. thanks for any input....links are nice :)
(p.s. i was looking at the PMI inline regulator.....anyone know anything about it? $38 is about the price i really want to spend on it but i could spend more.)

breg
07-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Less than $60? That is pretty lowball. You might want to check out the market scetion of this forum.
Just FYI, I spent about $360 on my new Dynaflow. It's a 68/5000. I can't even find those on the centerflag web site.

here are some links:
www.centerflagproducts.com
www.buypmi.com
www.dyeprecision.com

also check out www.pbreview.com. they will have a boat load of links for you.

Kevmaster
07-06-2003, 10:07 AM
breg: a DynaFlow is 68-4500...at last check...unless they've changed since my last order...and they don't have them on the website because they don't put anything on the website. and the Dynaflow/Thunder is identical to the 201 except for the alum body...

but on-subject:

you don't need an inline regulator if you are using N2. The reason your velocity is erratic is because of a poorly cleaned or borken mag reg. get a oring kit for your mag and replace the orings in the reg. then see if that helps your velocity. And if not, to quote budd orr: "90% of velocity fluctuations are due to a poor paint to barrel match"....check that out too. There is NO NEED for a inline reg on a mag.

breg
07-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Kevmaster
breg: a DynaFlow is 68-4500...at last check...unless they've changed since my last order...and they don't have them on the website because they don't put anything on the website. and the Dynaflow/Thunder is identical to the 201 except for the alum body...

I know. I just got it a few months ago at a store in the area. It's really strange. It says "5000 PSI max" on the reg. But the bottle only holds 4500 PSI. I had to ask centerflag about this. I was confused myself. Maybe I got one that wasn't supposed to be released yet? That would explain the leak I had out of the Output Pressure Adjust Nut. That is when I found out that it is a 5000. I though that 5000 PSI Max could be like an emergency spike pressure, but the guy (Matt, this dude is one of the best customer service reps EVER) at centerflag said that it was in fact a 5000. If you are interested I can try to borrow a friend's camera when i get home and try to post some pics.

LawFox32
07-06-2003, 11:32 AM
I think the previous post were misconstrued

I think Zcute is asking about secondary(inline) regulators, with an automag you do not need a secondary reg, and you actually can harm the performance of your automag with an inline reg. (restricts air flow, starves valve leads to shootdown)

I would suggest selling the 48/3k, holding off on the ULE and getting a nice pre-set screw in 68/4.5k nitrogen tank, PMI makes good ones, crossfire does as well,
a tank like those will be just like the 48/3k but you will get many more shots per fill

to help with consistency, change out the reg seat in your valve, and try to get the best paint to barrel match you can get. those are more of a factor for consistency than the tank

in an off note, this is the first meaningful post I have posted in like a month and a half, woo go me

AcemanPB
07-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by LawFox32

to help with consistency, change out the reg seat in your valve, and try to get the best paint to barrel match you can get. those are more of a factor for consistency than the tank

Exactly what he said, mags already have a good built in reg. As long as you keep it clean and well maintained and use proper paint to barrel match, your gun should have decent consitency.

Kevmaster
07-06-2003, 03:51 PM
see the "but on subject" part of my post...
and you still have to fill it to 4500psi..can't exceed the lowest rating of the system...hell...centerflag could rate the thing to 10,000psi if they wanted to...its been tested beyond 30,000psi and held

ZCute
07-06-2003, 07:50 PM
so a inline regulator is a no go? thats all i really wanted to know......wasnt really looking to get a new HPA tank. but if i DO decide to get a new tank......i want a really light one.....mine right now is way to heavy unbalnces my gun greatly. whats a good light tank under $200?

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
07-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ZCute
so a inline regulator is a no go? thats all i really wanted to know......wasnt really looking to get a new HPA tank. but if i DO decide to get a new tank......i want a really light one.....mine right now is way to heavy unbalnces my gun greatly. whats a good light tank under $200?

centerflag nitro duck and crossfire are all good tanks get one of them, and dump the pmi, these tanks usually run about $160.