PDA

View Full Version : know of any good ska bands?

mikey101
08-17-2001, 03:03 PM
I know there's already a thread for songs to download, but no one mentioned any ska bands. So if you know of any(preferably the more unknown bands) let me know! I have a lot of bands already in my collection, but can't find anymore. Thanks!

MagMan5446
08-17-2001, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned Sublime and Long Beach Dub All Stars. Wait....I know that I did! Check my post out in the download thread.

danEboy
08-17-2001, 09:40 PM
Don't forget " Let's Go Bowling"

Flamebo
08-17-2001, 10:56 PM
Try the Stubborn All Stars, Goldfinger, and of course Operation Ivy.

TheTramp
08-18-2001, 01:42 PM
Conehead Buddha! A great band from the New York/Boston area. S.W.M. is their best song as far as I'm concerned.

------------------
"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
-Charlie Papazian

hobbes
08-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Definetely check out The Bruce Lee Band (do it mp3, cause there cd is hard to find, definetely a great ska band, its basically less than jake with a chinese guy singin), Less Than Jake (these guys are great, full of energy, great songs, check out there first cd, its got like a little guy on it, and hello from rockview isnt bad or whatever its called), and Goldfinger, I love the 99 redballoons song, 99 Luftballooons, ech mich nam de......
-Nick

Dubstar112
08-18-2001, 08:06 PM
Reel big fish

belligerant1
08-21-2001, 02:32 PM
tsunami bomb, ill repute(lol),link 80,luckie strike,mad caddies,plinky,propaghandi,save ferris, and all the others previously mentioned by other cool ppl.

------------------
mag needed!!!

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?

magman007
08-21-2001, 03:34 PM
YOUR FORGETTING the mighty mighty boss tones!!!!! them and they might be giants are good 2 i dont know if they are really ska tho but they do sing partical man!!!!!

------------------
you ever notice how elves do everyting???

MajorDamage
08-21-2001, 03:37 PM
SKA BANDS! Five Iron Frenzy is the very best ska band! Insyderz, Buck, Supertones(they have turned to rock now..), and a the W's who are what they call Swank(Ska and swing.

But yeah, FIF RULES!

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

MagMan5446
08-21-2001, 06:09 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MajorDamage:
SKA BANDS! Five Iron Frenzy is the very best ska band! Insyderz, Buck, Supertones(they have turned to rock now..), and a the W's who are what they call Swank(Ska and swing.

But yeah, FIF RULES!

ENDO!

</font>

I don't listen to much Christian music, but I have heard FIF before. I don't think they qualify as "ska"

Dogbone
08-21-2001, 09:18 PM
Okay, I'm old. What is "ska"?

Flamebo
08-22-2001, 05:46 AM
Last I checked Deskmond Dekker was the self-proclaimed King of Ska, and he's old. So it's not that you don't know ska because you're old, it's that you're just out of the loop.

Dogbone
08-22-2001, 10:35 AM
Maybe, but that still doesn't answer my question does it?

Nevermind, I've already found out for myself what ska is.

[This message has been edited by Dogbone (edited 08-22-2001).]

Dogbone
08-23-2001, 05:34 PM
Thanks Mykroft. That goes along with what I've found. I learned that a lot of music that I'd thought of as reggae, old school punk and even jazz is considerd "ska".

mykroft
08-23-2001, 11:53 PM
Ska is a kinda Punk/reggae cross with a horn section, If you've heard No Doubt, that's commercialized Ska. I'm not a big fan myself, but the Salsds rock.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA,14" JnJ Ceramic, AGD Intelliframe Blade, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

spyderkiller
08-24-2001, 08:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MajorDamage:

But yeah, FIF RULES!

I have a FIF cd and i have seen Buck live in concert. Both are great. Also have a W's cd. Yah i would call them swank.

</font>

jellopuud
08-24-2001, 11:56 PM
i cant express to you how much i hate Ska And Punk~~!!

PanTera!!!!! all the way!

kman32
08-25-2001, 01:14 AM
Oh, Thanks for that! but I do think that im asking for Ska bands, not put downs!

bofh
08-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Put me down as a second for The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. One of the Best Ska bands around...

And while you're at it, check out the Warped Tour... it's got the name Warp in it, and that's some kind of paintball product, I hear http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif So it's got to be good.

And you ain't ever to old for Ska, except when you go to Warped tour at the Stone Pony, and the ticket takers/bouncers don't pat you down, because they think you're a narc... Maybe then...

------------------
Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy?
Brass Eagle .68 Pistol... It's pure fear in a easily cracked plastic housing.

SkApAiNtMaG
08-25-2001, 01:05 PM
Less than Jake is good. Mighty Mighty Bosstones Good. MXPX good.(but more punky) Sum 41 is good but punkyer. my 2 cents

mikey101
08-26-2001, 12:24 PM
Most of my friends went to the warp tour this year, I didn't get to go though http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif oh well. Next year i'll be there, and its gonna be awesome!

Yama
08-26-2001, 12:42 PM
punk bands suck. every time i hear them they just piss me off. it is not even music to me. they always sing in that high voice crap. listen to some better stuff.

kman32
08-26-2001, 01:39 PM
i cant belive no one has mentioned catch 22? im a big fan of them but i think u already knew that mike..

Flamebo
08-26-2001, 03:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Yama:
punk bands suck. every time i hear them they just piss me off. it is not even music to me. they always sing in that high voice crap. listen to some better stuff. </font>

First of all, he said SKA. Second of all, the majority of punk bands do not sing in high voices often, if ever. Newsflash: Blink 182 is NOT punk, so don't be so quick to comment when you're uninformed.

mikey101
08-26-2001, 03:31 PM
Yama - Thanks for letting me know what I shouldn't be lestening to. If I were to ask "know of any good bands?" Then maybe this would be of some use, but other then that, its not.

Yama
08-26-2001, 03:38 PM
then what is blink 182??? it sure isnt rock.

Flamebo
08-26-2001, 03:41 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Yama:
then what is blink 182??? it sure isnt rock.</font>

Blink 182 is pop trash.

MajorDamage
08-27-2001, 05:37 PM
Blink 182 is Pop Punk. And FIF Is ska, but their newer stuff is kinda a mix of alot of things.

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

belligerant1
08-31-2001, 06:08 PM
this post gets an up cause it's down on blink 182. good job team!

------------------
"give me an inch and i'll give you a bruise" team image.
"Give me a plate of food and i'll give you back an empty plate" Terry Lane, team 5 to 1

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?