PDA

View Full Version : What do i need for a Tournament???

07-08-2003, 11:04 AM
I was wondering what yall would recommend I bring to the tournament if I compete. I was also wondering is there anything I need to do or add on to my marker to make it tournament legal (I use a stock RT Pro).

Thanx

Corbet
07-08-2003, 11:20 AM
All I gotta say is bring all your tools. I've only been to one tourney, but I saw ALOT of people with malfunctioning guns. Even though I tested my gun the night before, the Velocity wouldnt go high enough (regulator problem), and my macroline was leaking. The same thing happened to both my friends there and a couple other people (leaking cockers).

paintball_junkie
07-08-2003, 11:25 AM
BRing alot of money. You'll probally want to bring a cooler with sports drinks and maybe some snakc bars. I always take a big towel to wipe hits and dirt off me after every games. If you mean clothing or gear, clothing you need matching jerseys for your team. FOr gear you'll need a hopper, marker, air tank, pack, mask.

Load SM5
07-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Money for paint. And get the paint as early as possible if you're buying from the field, or you may end up with the 3 month old case of seconds that they kept behind the toilet.

A pile of rags and a spray bottle to get all of your gear cleaned between games. Nothing worse than getting called out on old hits or facing the sun and noticing all the streaks still on your lense.

A cooler to keep paint in so it does'nt get hot and warp on you.

Any extra parts and a good tool kit. it's good to have back-ups in case something goes down and you don't have the time to fix it.

Lots of water.

As far as your maker being legal you should be fine unless you've moved something out of spec.

the_next_guy_
07-08-2003, 12:34 PM
a case of gatorade

FireWall
07-08-2003, 12:37 PM
A cup. Wear a cup, or use a rag, or a knee pad or something to protect your self (if your male). So many a tourney players fall victim to the "forbidden shot"

FireWall

bsolomon
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Bring extras - pods and markers!

Seriously, the best thing to bring is a back-up marker. If your primary marker starts giving you a problem, there is usually not enough time between games to mess with it. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen a plyaer become completely ineffective because his marker was messing up, and therefore his head was not in the game. These players spend every possible moment between games palying with the marker, and not listening to the captain or being part of the team. they always think its working until they go to chrono onto the field, or until just after the next game starts - and then it fails again!

The best thing you can do is simply drop what you've been using and pick up a complete, ready-to-go back up (this means a marker that is already aired up, and has a loader full of paint). Don't try to shuffle parts between markers - you might end up with two that are now messed up!If you and your team can't afford to have one back-up per player, then at least have one or two back-up for the team.

Also, I recommend that you bring one extra paint pod for every one you normally carry onto the field for a game. In otherwords, if you normally carry 6 pods onto the field, then have another 6 sitting at your set-up area already filled and ready to go. If you come off the field for a quick turn-around game, all you do is drop the empties and pick up the full ones. Once your harness is restocked and ready to play, then you can mess with your empty pods. This always beats the mad scramble of having to refill each empty every game.

Finally, make the pre-games business-like. Each player should come off the field, get air/CO2 as needed, restock their harnesses and hoppers with paint, and then clean-up and get ready for the next game. Once ready, take an opportunity to replenish fluids and/or have a snack, and also check to see if any of your teammates need help with anything. Once everyone is ready, then you can relax and enjoy a little quiet time or discuss strategy. This procedure needs to become automatic, and it will avoid a lot of mad scrambles as your team is called for its next game.

Crazy
07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
your game

LittlePaintballBoy
07-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by FireWall
A cup. Wear a cup, or use a rag, or a knee pad or something to protect your self (if your male). So many a tourney players fall victim to the "forbidden shot"

FireWall

amen. that happened to me in a tourney, augghhh,it hurts to even thnk bout it.it didnt break and the refs like your clean it didnt break and i was like ref, im out and he says no no your stillin im like REF I AM OUT.:p

pookachu32
07-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Just go out and buy the paintball movie "In Your Face" That shows you everything you need to know to get ready for tourney ball:D :rolleyes: "5 is 1!!!!" AHAHAHA Don't mind me, I just saw it for the first time today. n00bs!:p

nah, just follow what everyone else above said. G/L

Deep Sixx
07-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Bring a sense of humour... you'll need it. I was at a tournament a few weeks ago and the air station broke down. They stopped games for 2 hours to fix it.

Weird stuff happens... you need to be able to laugh it off.

sixx

Dryden
07-09-2003, 09:43 AM
As bsolomon said, you would be best off if you essentially took enough gear for two people to play. A backup marker, even if it's junk, may save you from having to play a game without a marker or even being DQ'ed. A spare goggle system is also a plus, since it's near impossible to swap out lenses on goggles when you're on the clock. Spare harness, spare pods, spare tanks, spare hoppers ... spare everything.

If it's not feasible for you to purchase all this extra gear, or if you haven't been playing so long that you've accumulated this much excess, but your serious about playing in tourneys, you should approach the other members of your team to see if everyone would agree to split the difference on the costs of some community backup gear.

The team I'm with actually won a tournament waaay back in '93 because the opposing team was cleaning their gear and didn't show up at the chrony until five minutes after the scheduled start time. Their entire team forfeited the game, which locked up first place for us regardless of the outcome of the reamining match we had.

Oh, and if it's an outdoor field that you've never been to, you might want to bring a roll of toilet paper ... you never know! :D

GT
07-09-2003, 12:43 PM
bsolomon: good tips bro!

Best item you can bring is the idea that you will porbaly not win first place. So except defeat but dont dwell on it. Determine what you did correct and incorperate that into your game.

jb

SlipknotX556
07-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Paint and lots of it.

Water or gatorade, so you dont pass out.

All your tools.

Any extra parts you may have.

A cell phone, to call AGD, get tech help if that damn RT dies on you ;).

robertjuric
07-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Whats the best way to clean your goggles?

Load suggested a squirt bottle, but whats best to wipe them down with?

paintball_junkie
07-09-2003, 01:58 PM
I use a JT micro fiber cloth then a JT anti fog cltoh.

ReTro Boy
07-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by LittlePaintballBoy
amen. that happened to me in a tourney, augghhh,it hurts to even thnk bout it.it didnt break and the refs like your clean it didnt break and i was like ref, im out and he says no no your stillin im like REF I AM OUT.:p That's awesome...:eek: :D

robertjuric
07-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by paintball_junkie
I use a JT micro fiber cloth then a JT anti fog cltoh.

What if I dont want to go buy something?
Whatd be best? TP, Paper Towels, a rag??

Digits
07-09-2003, 02:22 PM
My friend had one of those little cleaner clothes for glasses.. Worked wonders

Load SM5
07-09-2003, 04:27 PM
I use an old t-shirt of soft towel myself. Make sure it does'nt have any dirt on it or you run the risk of scratching your lenses.

FatMan
07-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Go to a place like Opti-World or LensCrafters - they sell boxes of lens cloths for like $5. paper towels will scratch. old t-shirts can work OK, but they can leave smudges the lens cloths won't. Don't buy the JT stuff, you can get the same thing for less at a glasses place.

FatMan

Paintchucker
07-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by robertjuric

What if I dont want to go buy something?
Whatd be best? TP, Paper Towels, a rag??

A fluffy towel. Always use one side to clean the majority of the paint off and save the "clean" side to polish it up. Don't use this towel for anything else...

Bring an extra person if you can. An alternate, even if they don't play can be very useful. They can check schedules and the scoreboard, get drinks, etc. And if someone gets hurt, you have a spare player too!