PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems...Anyone?

ReTroMagBoy
09-03-2001, 10:02 AM
My computer has suddenly decided to not "remember" anything. Like passwords, recent actions, etc. It is constantly reseting to default.
For example, my DSL connection. Up until yesterday, my password was always saved so all i had to do was connect. Now i have to type it in everytime i try to connect even after i have hit save password!! Another example on Kaaza...i have set it where it puts downloaded music into my napster folder where the majority of my mp3s are. I go back 2 seconds later and it resets to default in the kaaza folder. Its like that with everything....
Anyone know what could be the problem?

BTW, another problem i have is whenever i run scandisk, it takes FOREVER and it resets every 30 seconds or so because "please close open programs that are writing to this drive" when all programs are closed!! ahhh!

krafty
09-03-2001, 10:15 AM
Ummm.... run an antivirus scan. Seriously. That may not be the problem, but we had a machine at work do sort of the same thing and it had been hit with a virus.

Restola
09-03-2001, 11:24 PM
its not a virus that causes you to lose your saved passwords, its windows. my system will do that from time to time. try turning off the computer and all of your stuff (monitor, etc) for 30 seconds. even unplug it all if you want. probably just a small glitch that it keeps trying to run. also try norton utilities. they have a program called windoctor that is pretty good.

the reason scandisk resets if because something is writing to the disk. hence "retarting due to disk write". before you run scandisk close everything. then hit ctrl+alt+del and "End Program" everything except "systray" and "explorer". now scan disk will run. programs as simple as mousepoint will often cause scandisk to reset. if that doesnt work once again try Norton. it has a scandisk replacement program that does a good job.
and of course it takes forever, it is scanning your hard drive, billions of pieces of information, and rewriting all the little pieces to the right spot. run it overnight.

MagDog68
09-06-2001, 07:31 AM
Just Shut down all the programs in your systray (Bottom right, where the clock is.) Too many programs there will also deplete system resources and make the PC run slower. Check your Start>Programs>Startup Folder and delete anything you really don't want to start at Windows Boot. Usually there is no reason to have anything start at boot save your VirusScan. I hate going to client's PC's and seeing Real Player, Gator, AIM and hald a dozen other resource sucking apps open there.

~Fred

fenris69
09-06-2001, 02:29 PM
you could also be looking at just windows. how old is the install?? the kazaa one is a little suspicious but ordinary win applications will eventually forget passwords, reset to default etc... i havnt had much prob with 98SE and up but prior to that it was hell.

joeyjoe367
09-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Do you have cookies turned on? If you have other users on your computer other than yourself, that's something that you might want to check.

ReTroMagBoy
09-07-2001, 06:04 AM
yes when i run scandisk all programs in the tray are closed. That isnt too important to me though because right now i am more worried that my computer continues to reset to default on almost everything. Even after i hit "save password & username" i open it right back up and its blank! It wouldnt be cookies because those are fine...i am having no trouble on my browser and sites remembering my passwords, logins, etc.

joeyjoe367
09-08-2001, 06:11 PM
Okay, here's the last thing that i could think of...

Is your computer "clock" set up okay? I mean, in windows the little thing that says 5:00 PM or something like that?

If you're starting to notice that the time isn't correct, or is becomming innaccurate, it could be that your CMOS battery is going bad... I know that CMOS holds basic information, and nothing as complicated as usernames and passwords, but it could be the cause...

You'll really want to look into getting a new CMOS battery if the clock is messed up...

DISCLAIMER: If you don't know what you're doing replacing that battery, DONT

Another thing that could be the problem would be a corrupt registry file... run a program called SCANREG. I'm not going to explain what the registry is, because it could take too long..

LASTLY.... Find a program that gets rid of "spyware"... it's software that's secretly downloaded without your permission, and can cause things like banner ads that come up all the time...

LAST RESOURT: Reinstall Windows... freshining up your computer, and getting rid of all that crap can really get your maching running well. Personally i back up all my important files on a CD-R. If my computer starts having problems, I'll simply reinstall windows and it usually solves the problem :)

I hope that helps.

ReTroMagBoy
09-09-2001, 09:25 AM
time is ok....

how do i run scanreg??? I think someone else was trying to explain it to me. The wierd thing is, that i cannot get into MSDOS on my computer..........

I dont have the option for msdos in the shutdown menu, and when i hit f8 while the computer is starting up, its not on that menu either. Is there another way to get there????

Thanks for your help so far!

fenris69
09-10-2001, 01:57 PM
dude, dont even bother. save yourself a LOT of grief right now and format. get another hard drive, borrow one for a couple hours if you have to plug it in, transfer your crap to it, itll take mere minutes. format the first one, reinstall windows fresh then copy your crap back. easy pie. ust remember to get off everything you'll need. itll take you 2hrs tops and you'll be a happier man. fixing a prob is ok with computers, but when it comes down to it taking more time than its worth? naw.