PDA

View Full Version : Scuba tanks to fill my 68/3000

painball
07-09-2003, 12:39 PM
i was wonderin what size scuba tank would be best to get a nice amount of fills on my 68/3000. except i dont wanna spend over $200. oh and are there and other things i would need to but on the scuba to make it attach to my fill nipple?

cphilip
07-09-2003, 12:55 PM
I personaly like the 3300 PSI 80 Cubic Foot one for this. Its called a Nuetral Boyancy tank. That little above 3000 gets you a few more full fills than the normal 3000 psi tanks do. Its about 150 shipped but you might find it locally. And yea you then need a fill adapter. Should be able to do it all for around $200 or close.

I got mine from Divers Direct and paid around 150 or 160 for it shipped UPS ground and all for that.

Rifter
07-09-2003, 02:15 PM
I bought a 3000 PSI tank last Thursday. I bought it at a local dive shop used, for $125, that has a current Hydro. I also bought one of these fillstations: http://www.actionvillage.com/031-9000.html.

I have not really tested it much, but it did fill my personal tank.

hitech
07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Its called a Neutral Buoyancy tank. Its about 150 shipped but you might find it locally.

That is a good price. That's what my 3000psi tank was. Is that a steel tank? Mine is aluminum and the dive shop stocks them for paintball players. Divers don't like them because they are too light.

Animal Mother
07-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Just get a standard aluminum scuba tank, drivers use them, steel tanks are not as popular and most shops cannot fill the higher psi.

I paid $150 for mine brand new and got 10 free fills with it. Costs $4 to fill it after that.

I got the fill station from paintballgear.com , there is no name on it but it is made very well and 5 minutes from the UPS guy dropping it off I filled my first tank. I shoot A LOT, and I have an E-Mag, I fill my tank every game and I can play all day so you'll be good to go.

It's a great investemnt, wish I got it sooner. If you're in Northern/Central California go to Scuba Plus on Hammer Ln. right off of I-5, they love paintball players. They will even start to carry fill stations once they find a supplier. Oh and there are high school girls that scuba dive working there... oooh good god.. ::bites fist::, I go in there and have my tank filled even when it doesn't need to be filled :D

aaron_mag
07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Animal Mother
It's a great investemnt, wish I got it sooner.
I'll second that. It is so easy and cheap. I love it.

Oh and there are high school girls that scuba dive working there... oooh good god.. ::bites fist::, I go in there and have my tank filled even when it doesn't need to be filled :D
Sheesh. The local scuba shop I go through has a couple of grumpy guys that try to convince me everytime that paintball sucks and scuba is a way of life. I even bought the tank there and I still get a slight attitude! I'll trade staff with you....:rolleyes:

Aegis
07-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Another vote for Scuba Plus in Stockton - I had two tanks in for hydro, didn't get back in time for the 4th of July weekend so they gave me a free loaner. I think they sell 3000/80 tanks for around $150 with 10 free fills.

cphilip
07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by hitech

That is a good price. That's what my 3000psi tank was. Is that a steel tank?

No its Aluminum.

Steel ones go up higher than that even. Like 3500 or more. And too heavy realy for us to tote around. This one I am talking about holds a little more air and is the highest PSI still in Aluminum.

Many Dive shops seem to not even know these exist. I went to several around here who denied they knew anything about them. But I got them to pull out their catalogs and showed them. First they had even heard of them at the two I went to. But almost all of them can hit 3300 PSI if they want too. Of course you have to keep in mind getting a 3000 psi to be 3000 psi after cool down is kinda hard. Most dive shops end up handing you back a tank thats like 2800 or 2900 after it cools down. With this thing you can convince them to push it up and almost always they hand you one that is 3100 or 3200 after it cools down.

hitech
07-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Where I get mine done, if the guy that knows what he is doing fills it, you get a little OVER 3000 psi. You just have to wait as he fills slow. But it's worth it to get a full fill. :D

cphilip
07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Table of Tanks click here (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Group?Group=30&Template=9990000001000999&searchn=0&maxresults=)

I am talking about the 80 cubic foot NB one in this table from DiversDirect (http://www.diversdirect.com/).

Its unclear to me what they are costing now. But I paid 149 plus the shipping was $12.99 UPS ground from them back when I bought one. Last year. Could not get anyone around here to order me one resonable. They wanted to sell me what they had in stock. And for about the same money I realy wanted the extra capacity so I went with this one from Divers Direct.

Crighton
07-09-2003, 05:23 PM
You could get a used scba 4500psi cylinder for a little over 200 if you do some looking.

Lee
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM
i got a used 80 cf aluminum 3000 psi for 105 incl. tax and a mesh protecter from my local dive shop. i stripped, painted and clear coated it, looks like new.
i got the fill station through a guy here for 35$.

me and two other guys use it on the days we play together. it gets right down to the point we have to hit on it pretty often though. i use a 47/3000 for pump and an 88/4500 for my retro mag and go through a case on average. the other 3 guys use 68/3000's and do between 500-1000 rounds each w/ mags and a spyder.

if you look around a little you can find something reasonable, and for one guy using it, a 3000 psi is plenty imho.

gonepostal0
07-09-2003, 05:33 PM
im thinking about buying one, but im scared i might fill my tank to much and it will blow up, is it really really easy to fill up the tanks

cphilip
07-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Very easy. The fill adapter has a guage and so does your tank. Watch them both. Go slow and you can turn the know and kind of control the flow. You just have to tighten and untighten the vent screw on the side for attaching and unattaching. So the pressure is off the quick connect. Its simpler to show you than to describe. But its easy.

As always take care of you tank in transport and in storage.

Animal Mother
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Oh don't worry.

The scuba tank is 3000psi and your paintball tank is 3000psi, you can't over fill it. You can go over 3000psi when your tank is hot.. after it cools it goes back down to 3000psi

If you go over when it heats up it won't matter that much because it will be a lot more until your burst disk blows and vents the air out safely, and if that fails I think your tank can take something like twice it's rated pressure. So it's safe. Only tip is to fill it SLOWLY. your tank heats up from all the friction you are slamming your tank with, go slow and even pause so it doesn't heat up much. This will save wear and tear on your tank so you'll pass all your hydro's for the next 15 years. Plus it's a lot safer way to fill your tank.

It's really easy, you take your scuba tank, put on the adaptor that you get for like $40, put the fill nipple on your paintball tank on the quick disconnect on the fill adaptor and slowly open the valve on the scuba tank until you hear the air going in. Pause halfway through and let your tank cool off for a minute and fill the rest. if you have a 3000psi tank stop there, if you have a 4500psi then you can keep the valve open until the air stops going into the tank. Then turn your bleed off valve that vents the air between the scuba valve and the fill nipple on your paintball tank and disconnect it. Yer done!

gonepostal0
07-09-2003, 05:59 PM
l so very confused, how many fills will i get, and how will i know when its fully filled

Animal Mother
07-09-2003, 06:07 PM
It's fully filled when you either hit 3000psi on your 3000psi tank (watch the guage) or if it's a 4500psi it's done when you stop hearing the air go into the tank, which is usually up to like 3100psi.

How many fills depends on the size scuba tank you have. I think mine is an 80.. err or something.. (is that the standard?) and I play all day.. I fill my tank after every game, plus my friends mooch a fill here and there as well. I have no idea how many that is but at the end of the day I'm usually at like 2500psi or something. As you fill your tank the scuba tank loses psi, so you don't get a full 3000psi fill all the time. trust me.. you get a lot. Fill your scuba tank before each day you play paintball, it's like $4 to fill it.

The people at my scuba shop (Scuba Plus!) say we hardly empty our tanks unlike scuba divers.

gonepostal0
07-09-2003, 06:21 PM
can anyone estimate how many fills i might get off a 63 cf tank,