PDA

View Full Version : more motorcycles!

rhetor22
07-09-2003, 09:29 PM
I'm getting really interested in buying a used Bandit 650 or 650sv.

Whats a bike thats similiar to the bandit?

I'm in love with the look of these bikes.

It's like the crotch rocket, only without the plastic shell, and looks a bit more comfy.

any help appreciated!

cheetah256
07-09-2003, 11:55 PM
check out a ducati monster. its also considered a "naked" bike...

cheetah256
07-09-2003, 11:56 PM
forgot the pic...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcducati/mcphotos/01s404.jpg

Skreemer
07-10-2003, 08:58 AM
don't know what level of riding experience you have but Yamaha makes the FZR... it's a "naked" version of the R1...

and as cheeta suggested those Ducati monsters are pretty dang nice... and relatively inexpensive for a ducati...

Big'n slo
07-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Take a look at the new Buell lightning (depending on your size) It is a blast to ride, very nimble and lots of tourqe. Not bad looking either

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/1354/dfed015d40d685/www.buell.com/en_us/images/products/motorcycles/lightning/gallery/lightning1.jpg

rhetor22
07-10-2003, 11:51 AM
thanks for the model suggestions guys.

So pricey tho :eek:

Anything else off the top of your head?

I guess 'naked' was the term i'm looking for. love the look. of naked things. and people. women.

Big'n slo
07-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Check out this link >>Makes and Models<< (http://motorcycles.about.com/library/weekly/aa020303a.htm#makesandmodels)

Big'n slo
07-10-2003, 12:39 PM
http://www.combattiva.it/apr/intermot/gfx/media/tuon_01.jpg

Neat looking

Cliffio
07-10-2003, 12:58 PM
naked or street fighter bikes arent really my cup of tea, but i know alot of people are starting to look into them.

if its your first bike a 650 is gonna be a little much., its just not a good starter bike. usually people reccomend 500cc bikes or smaller.

and the dmv tests are WAY easier on smaller bikes.

insurance is another monster.

but, get some gear and ride same!

Cliff
(kawi zx-6r)

also a low price alternative to some of these bikes that people are saying is going to be a honda nighthawk, older models can run around 3 grand

but werent you just complaining a few months ago how poor you were? and how much money you owed your dad or something? and isnt your insurance kinda high because of a wreck or something?

maybe that wasnt you, but i thought it was.

anyways, insurance is a big problem for some people with more than one ticket or accident.

ive got one ticket and one accident and progressive wanted 1100 bucks a year and geico wanted 1800 a year. i went to a country companies and got 360 a year full coverage, but i was lucky.

rhetor22
07-10-2003, 06:00 PM
hehe, yes i'm in a financial hole.

I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon, but i was thinking about selling the truck (who's brake line popped yesterday :rolleyes: ) and maybe picking up a bike.

cphilip
07-10-2003, 06:07 PM
What kind of conditions do you drive in? Is it mostly city streets you need to negotiate and maybe some smaller highways?

rhetor22
07-10-2003, 06:21 PM
well right now i'm in windy wooded hilly roads. I was really thinking it would be good to have for college, except for the theft crap, but i'm not sure where i wanna go.

cphilip
07-10-2003, 06:31 PM
You need a Motorcycle class Scooter!!!!! :D

perfect for College and much more comfortable to ride. And more manuverable too.

http://www.vespausa.com/Vintage/images/cal_jan_66.gif

chicks dig em!!!!

rhetor22
07-10-2003, 07:36 PM
DUDE that thing is HOT! Thanks cphil!

:D

i was thinking something a bit more... um... manly? :D

cphilip
07-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Seriously Chicks do dig em. Had em crawling all over mine at the beach last week. Hollering at me to stop as I rode by too!

Oh that picture is from 1966 by the way! An old Vespa add from back then.

Nothing more comfortable and manuverable than a Scooter style bike though. Thats why they designed em in the first place.

cphilip
07-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Check this out....

Its the calender girls from Vespa from 1966 and some from 1963. Some still how by even todays standards. Although one could imagine they are not so hot now...

http://www.vespausa.com/Vintage/VintageScooters.cfm

CasingBill
07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Hayabusa's are awesome!!!! Nothin like them.

Cliffio
07-10-2003, 10:17 PM
good idea, lets put some dude with no riding experience on a busa.

Cliff:)

jpdgas
07-11-2003, 01:28 AM
I didnt like the busa all that much, its too low for a 6 footer like me, very uncomfortable. The ZX12R is more too my liking if you want a high ender, you can pick up a used one for about 7k (no joke, my bro-in-law couldnt sell his 2002 for more than 7500 and it was showroom condition). it is also more forgiving than a busa for less experienced riders. naked bikes are nice too, i like the suzuki lineup. cheap, fast, and fun

CasingBill
07-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Cliffio
good idea, lets put some dude with no riding experience on a busa.

Cliff:)

you are definately right...not for a noob

rhetor22
07-11-2003, 07:53 AM
yeah i think i'll stay away from the liter class. :D

Cphil- you're a strange kinda guy. you somehow pulled some sense out of the scooter chic magnet. How do you do it? But i think i'll stick with something that has a bit more power. :D

I've been riding dirt bikes, quads, breaking things, breaking parts of me, and on anything with a motor since i was a wee lad. I know this doens't count as motorcycle experience, but i'll learn fast.

hey Big n Slo, what kind of bike is that? That thing is SEXY.

edit: ah, aprilla... that thing is sweet.... drool

the aprilla V11 is really nice looking too, if they made a downsized version i'd be happy.

Big'n slo
07-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Yup, Aprilla. Prolly on the higher end of the entries.

I'm actually changing my X1, long rides with no fairing beats the crap out of you. Just ordered a fairing kit for it. I like the look :D

http://www.eurocomponentsusa.com/image/buell/bparts/FREDBU.JPG

cphilip
07-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rhetor22
Cphil- you're a strange kinda guy. you somehow pulled some sense out of the scooter chic magnet. How do you do it? But i think i'll stick with something that has a bit more power. :D

Dude...there are 600 cc Scooters. Do not confuse "Scooter" with Moped. Its a common misconception. Scooters are more a body style than a Motor size.

The original design was to take a motorcycle and make it more urban riding friendly. By covering over the hot engine parts with cowling and making the front area step through so you did not have to stradle it all the time and lay down more or less to ride it. And wheels are normaly held to less than 14" for better tight turning and handling. Most often 10 inch. Engines moved rear to accomadate the step through and allow it to be enclosed in shields so no one gets burned on hot motor parts. But in all other respects its just a style of Motorcycle. In fact it is a Motorcycle. There are 100 MPH plus Scooters. Mine will do 70. But it's not realy needed as the body design was not realy ment for high speed. It was ment for low speed manuverability. So its stability at high speeds is lacking. Doing 50 0r 60 is about all you realy want to do on one.

Mopeds are anything less then 50cc that cannot shift. And they can "look like" Bikes, Motorcycles or even Scooters. Some even have pedals. But they are held to 50cc and 30 MPH. And are not Motorcycles. Real Scooters are.

So that is why I asked you what you wanted to use it for. If its urban/minor highway driving that is where the Scooter outperforms the Motorcycle. But if it's fast interstate mostly driving then the Motorcycle jumps to the fore front there. You just have to decide what the majority of your need is. Sounded more like Scootering to me.

Apprilla makes a nice one. Looks more like a Ninja style bike. The ones I showed you are "retro" styled. They make em in any form you care to see. It's a Scooter if the front area steps through at all and the wheels are less then 14" generaly speaking. Although I have seen a few 16" wheeled ones lately. Many manufacturers are making "new style" Scooters now. You would be suprised at the way they look. If retro is not your style there is much else to chose from.

And as to Scooters being girl friendly. They indeed are. They are not as intimidating to get them to ride on them. But they may be suprised as to what lurks under the engine compartments. They may have the same misconception you harbor about that they realy are. They are fast and can kill you just as quick. Pretty much any engine you want realy. Up to 600 cc from what I have seen.

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
This my Friend is a "Scooter". I think its a 650cc and its from Suzuki

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_03/scooter/images/an650a.jpg

Dayspring
07-11-2003, 10:07 AM
To this thread I say--

CFL!

http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/images/bikes/harley_deuce/g.gif

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:07 AM
And here is a Honda Scooter... 250cc but freeway legal and capable

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/scooters/2003/large/Reflex_ABS_large_01.jpg

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Another Honda... But this one is 600cc

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/scooters/2003/large/Silverwing_ABS_large_01.jpg

Dayspring
07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
:D
http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/images/bikes/sturgis_el_diablo/f.gif

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Battling pictures!!!!! LOL

Aprilla's 500cc Scooter

http://store6.yimg.com/I/azsbk_1746_30892428

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:15 AM
And just for fun Aprilla's "MOPED" class scooter. 50cc one...

http://store6.yimg.com/I/azsbk_1750_8390057

Big'n slo
07-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Here's a scoot for ya:D

rhetor22
07-11-2003, 10:56 AM
haha, that last one looks like a Scooter GT racer!

You're probably right that a scooter is more adapted to what i would need it for, but they just don't do it for me.

For one the sitting style- i don't think i could manage turns when sitting almost upright like that.

I would like to have the ability to go down the highway without hitting or aproaching the limits of the bike.

Its like driving a car with a 80mph top end vs one with a 120mph top end. You get that extra passing power, and more of a feeling of power. You also don't have to hold it nearly as high to keep the speed.

I didn't know scooters had engines that big! I could understand i guess on those larger models you pictured, but still, that's just weird, i didnt expect that at all.

The chopper is awesome, but i dont think i could ride that around for long before going deaf/muscle cramping. :D

cphilip
07-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Oh trust me. You can. I suggest you keep an open mind and go ride one. Then see.

The reason you CAN manage the turns is all in the design and smaller wheels. You would have to ride one to see what I mean.

The actual difference is in the lower half of the body compaired to say a cross country road bike. Its Like a Goldwing or something designed for upright long distance riding but with freedom to move your legs about a little more. You get that part PLUS you get the lower legs in a more sitting position. Which is what the highway cruser bikes try and deliver. More like sitting in a chair. Other than that they are the same. But not like a high speed lay down bike sideways bike. Which so many seem to think they like (mostly cause of the looks) but are not all that fun to ride for long times. Notice the Harley and bigger bikes more upright seating and such vs. the Ninja race bike stances. No one wants to ride a race bike for THAT long no matter what they tell you. They uncomfortable after a while.

than205
07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
If I were to buy American (HD engine design)...

than205
07-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Pic 2 (w/one up) -

Cliffio
07-11-2003, 03:26 PM
i guess since everyone is posting pictures ill show you mine:)

got a GREAT deal on it, more than 1000 bucks less than blue book.

i love it.

Cliff

cphilip
07-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Youwch!

Whatch this clip...

http://members.cox.net/elmerandrade0/taxi.wmv

bornl33t
07-12-2003, 01:28 AM
phil gotta post the whole movie now... :D I wanna see it

cphilip
07-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Thats all I got Heat. I not sure where the guy clipped that from. Dam Europeans supposedly actualy drive thier scoots like that I hear! The sparks flying is cool but one wonders how many times you can do that and not wear through to the oil. :D

bornl33t
07-12-2003, 02:04 PM
yeah, I suppose some do. Scooter aren't really as popular as the once were. kids are more into mopeds that look like real bikes. I think itally is the only country the really had a fair amount of scooters on the streets.

Besides if you see how a european drives a VW rabit then the scooter isn't as impressive :D

rhetor22
07-12-2003, 04:24 PM
haha, that movie was nuts!

The sparks flying were HALARIOUS! that thing hauls though, seemed to do pretty good on the highway huh?

stondroopy
07-12-2003, 05:59 PM
cry i just sold my bike today :( i was riding a 2000 gsxr 600.i learned to ride on that bike,ill admit its a lil much for a new rider but not a bad choice. the 650 sv is what im getting next and would say that would be a good choice for new rider,not as much power but a lil more torque then 4 cylinder bikes and a lil more comfy then the crotch rocket.i believe the ones with fairngs have a bit more rise in the pegs and clipons (bars) are a lil lower for a more aggressive stance,i could be wrong but thats what i read.also theres a pic of my old bike ill miss it so :( cry

cphilip
07-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
haha, that movie was nuts!

The sparks flying were HALARIOUS! that thing hauls though, seemed to do pretty good on the highway huh?

Yea and if I am not mistaken thats a 125 or 150 cc scooter.

cphilip
07-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Heat
yeah, I suppose some do. Scooter aren't really as popular as the once were. kids are more into mopeds that look like real bikes. I think itally is the only country the really had a fair amount of scooters on the streets.

Besides if you see how a european drives a VW rabit then the scooter isn't as impressive :D

Well they are making a comeback. Mostly they pulled out of the US market in the 80's due to the decline in interest and the money it would cost to meet EPA regs. But since that time the other world markets have had to start meeting similar Air Polution regulations so they have slowly gotten away from 2 cycle engines and gone to 4 cycle making it easier to do. The retro looking ones are now coming back to a certain crowd. A resurgence of them started more in California a few years back and is now spreading around the country. Old 2 strokes to be refurbished are now bringing as much as a new one. There is a group of Purist retro nuts that are now taking off and forming ride groups. And old styling full metal framed ones are in demand.

But yea the younger kids are into the more modern looking ones more often than not. As you can see from some of the pictures I posted of those earlier there are some realy hot ones. And of course 50 cc (Moped class) scooters are always in demand because most states do not require licensing of them. And some seem to like em in retro style but thats mostly a different crowd.

The two largest Old Italian Styling "Scooter only" companies have recently started re-importing to the US because of that demand. Bajaj and Piaggio. Both in the last two years. And recently Stella. Who made similar ones for years overseas for now defunct lambretta. All old italian styled scoots. Not much plastic stuff here.

bornl33t
07-14-2003, 05:36 AM
what about vespa? they go outta buisness? that's about all I saw in Itally 4 years ago

cphilip
07-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Heat
what about vespa? they go outta buisness? that's about all I saw in Itally 4 years ago

No they are still around but they are Piaggio. Vespa is the brand name for Piaggio. They started back importing to the US this year right after Bajaj did. Only two models of Vespa's though. A 125cc 2 stroke and a 150cc 4 stroke. Bajaj was making Vespa's for Piaggio for a long time and the two are almost interchangable in a lot of parts. Bajaj is also only bringing in two models but both are 145 cc 4 strokes. By the same token Stella also was making Vespa's for Piaggio and like Bajaj have parted ways but still make a very similar machine.

So Vespa's are alive and well but they cost twice as much as the others. However the name still carries a lot of weight with the Scooter crowd. Old Vespas are in great demand as collectors items. It remains to be seen if the product will hold it's own in the US against products that are as well made but produced in countries that can do them a lot cheaper. And since these are companies known to have produced them for Piaggio for a long time, people know the quality is as good if not better for half the price. I suspect the "snooty" crowd will still buy Vespa's. But the bargain crowd will opt for the Bajaj and Stella.

Zumina
07-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Low on funds?

rhetor22
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
i'd like something that could conquer up hill too :D

cphil, you're a pro with this stuff!

Also with the 4-strokes, they've been making a lot of advancements getting a lot more high end power from small displacement four stroke engines now, to compete with the nasty little 2's. Look at that new YZ250F, thing is taking on the 125, and pretty damn well too!

cphilip
07-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Well one thing I found out today that I didn't know is that BMW makes a scooter. Rather odd cool one at that...

cphilip
07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Of course I knew Harley Davidson used to make one but just found a picture of one of them... looks like an old Cushman and might be that they made them for HD?

bornl33t
07-14-2003, 05:27 PM
yeah I knew BMW made scooters... I've seen quite a few of those. And I knew harley made scooters too... Actually HD never made them. It was acompany the aquired in the 60's called "Aeronatica-Macchi" They would eventually sell the company back and they continued building the scooters just without the HD name, until a new model was designed. HD has actually had their hands in ALOT of different stuff.

from 1973 to the mid 90's the built bomb cassings for the military.

in the early 1900's they build bicycles for a few years

more recnetly they have beem making 2 stage rockets for the military the "AQM-34 military target drone" is being produced in NY

And they are sharholders with the company Buell.

All this after the company almost went belly up twice in the 60's and 70's

hard to believe...

cphilip
07-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Ah... interesting stuff realy. Ugly scooter though! :D I hear they would rather not people know there name was put on them.

I guess I gotta fix that one picture link...

cphilip
07-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Ok try this another way. The 1960 Cezeta 501.

bornl33t
07-15-2003, 04:54 AM
ok, now THAT is ugly

cphilip
07-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Aint that the truth! But you can see late 50's early 60's style written all over it can't you? Gotta be a rare bird too. Can't figure there are many of those around. I can see Shriners Clowns riding that in the Christmas parade though.

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
What do you guys think of the Kawasaki Ninja 250R? It's right in my price range and it would be my first bike. Well, my first automobile actually. :) Also, does anyone know what insurance would be like for a kid coming out of highschool? Hehe, one more question for cliff, how gas efficient is your zx-6r?

cphilip
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Well give Progressive a call and ask em about an insurance policy for Motorcycle only coverage. If you plan to buy it outright and not finance you could carry liabilty only. They can give you a quote.

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Awesome. I do plan on just outright buying it. All that finance crap confuses me and I think this would be a better idea.

Cliffio
07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
i get around 165 miles on a full tank (4.8g tank)

a 250 would be a GREAT starter bike, even if you dont plan on getting a bigger bike down the road, i cannot stress how good of a decision this is. may not seem like a big deal, but your chances of really hurting yourself are lower on this bike than a bike like an r6, but still these n00bs buy em. bad decision.

oh well, i would def. reccomend a 250 ninja.

Cliff

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 12:51 PM
I want a motorcycle, but then again, I like my arms, legs, etc. intact. :mad:

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 12:59 PM
You see, this is the other issue. I always hear people preaching about how dangerous they are! I hear people sayin, "Oh, even that little bit of mulch on the road could make you wipe out." But if my mountain bike can handle it, I'd imagin a 300+ pound motorcycle could take it.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could tell me how your bikes handle little bumps and stuff like that. Just so I'll have a little evidence that bikes are not so dangerous when telling my parents all this.

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 01:01 PM
The difference is I'm not going 70 mph on a mountain bike, and it isn't as heavy to fall on me. :(

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
I doubt there are piles of mulch on the freeway.:rolleyes:

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 01:05 PM
What?

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Where else would I be going 70mph?

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Vineyards?

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Vineyards in a south suburb of Chicago?:p

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Yes, go NE for a while, you'll find them.

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by MiniMag84
You see, this is the other issue. I always hear people preaching about how dangerous they are! I hear people sayin, "Oh, even that little bit of mulch on the road could make you wipe out." But if my mountain bike can handle it, I'd imagin a 300+ pound motorcycle could take it.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could tell me how your bikes handle little bumps and stuff like that. Just so I'll have a little evidence that bikes are not so dangerous when telling my parents all this.

Posting the question again so all can see it.

-Carnifex-
07-17-2003, 01:13 PM
The real question is, can you do stuff like in The Matrix / Italian Job?

Cliffio
07-17-2003, 01:42 PM
i would have to say the biggest problem is gravel. if there is some gravel on a turn or your trying to do something stupid on it, your probably going to go down.

but my bike is only a 600 and takes bumps and things pretty good, down here in southern illinois there are a couple of pretty crappy roads, but so far i havent had a problem.

the 250 is a great starting bike because its not heavy, handles well, and is rather inexpensive compared to alot of the newer sport bikes.

for insurance, i would check around your local area for companies, i went to progressive and they wanted 1100 for full coverage, geico wanted 1800 for full coverage and my local place, Country Companies wanted 350 for full coverage, needless to say, thats who i went with.

motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as your responsible and keep your head about you at ALL times, and if there arent any cages on the road with you.

people in cages dont pay ANY attention to motorcycles for the most part, they are talking on their damn phones or eating or just not paying any attention.

so you have to watch out for them, if they hit you, sure its their fault, but guess what your the one going down.

if you do get a bike, GET SOME DAMN GEAR!!!
a good helmet, not a bargain basement. get a jacket, joe rocket phoenix works GREAT in the summer, has lots of pads, get some gloves. always wear pants! and for gods sake ALWAYS WEAR ALL OF YOUR GEAR!!!

dont be a squid

Cliff

Cliffio
07-17-2003, 01:51 PM
also, if you wanted to get a little bit bigger bike, but still be smart about it, look for a 500 ninja, i believe its a EX500

anyways sometimes kinda hard to find, but shouldnt be a problem in the chicagoland area.

dont be afraid to buy a used bike, in fact, for a first bike, thats what i would do. just make sure to find out everything you can.

try online forums

www.sportbikes.net
www.sportbikeword.com

both pretty good forums

and i forgot to mention above that my zx-6r weights around 477 dry, i believe.

cphilip
07-17-2003, 02:12 PM
There are two kinds of motorcycle riders....those that have fallen and those that will....

Zumina
07-17-2003, 02:14 PM
ZX-6 owners unite!

Good advice Cliff, however, the best starter bike is an older, non sport-bike yamaha or honda. They're plentiful, cheap, last forever, and something you won't care about it if you wreck it.

cphilip
07-17-2003, 02:15 PM
i would have to say the biggest problem is gravel. if there is some gravel on a turn or your trying to do something stupid on it, your probably going to go down.

...and oil patches.... they bad.

a good helmet, not a bargain basement. get a jacket, joe rocket phoenix works GREAT in the summer, has lots of pads, get some gloves. always wear pants! and for gods sake ALWAYS WEAR ALL OF YOUR GEAR!!!

And flip flops! :D

Cliffio
07-17-2003, 02:16 PM
thats why you should always wear ALL of your gear, cause you never know what can happen.

they say that some crazy percetage of crashes happen on trips shorter than 10 minutes.

but i have to say, its one of the funnest things ive done, i had to quite paintball to afford this bike (my second), but it was worth it (shocking i know but true)

yeah zumina, your right something in the early 80's is always a good bet, unless its been sitting around

kawasaki 440 ltd is one of the good ones.

phil- haha flip flops, all the tools around here wear em.

Cliff

cphilip
07-17-2003, 02:20 PM
for insurance, i would check around your local area for companies, i went to progressive and they wanted 1100 for full coverage, geico wanted 1800 for full coverage and my local place, Country Companies wanted 350 for full coverage, needless to say, thats who i went with.

DAMMMM! I paying $76 a year for my Progressive, only liability though. Them numbers sucks...

yea I see the shirtless fip flop riders all around here. And funny thing is I have no idea how they shift them things in flip flops but they often have Booty Babes on the back! Makes ya wanna try it! :D

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Well, if you think it's a bad idea to get a sport bike right away, I was also looking at the Honda Rebel. It's more of a cruiser and it's also a 250. What do you guys think?

Cliff- Have you ever fallen?

Zumina
07-17-2003, 03:05 PM
that's funny, I pay $120 a year for liability on two bikes, and I'm 18.

masterninja
07-17-2003, 03:12 PM
I bought a Suzuki SV650 last year as my first bike. It's been very good to me and is very forgiving when you screw up. A great bike to learn on I think. Sporty enough and fast enough to get you started. The new ones are fuel injected. Pretty low priced too.

masterninja
07-17-2003, 03:46 PM
watch the painted lines when it's wet out. That Suzuki Bergman has the same engine as the SV650.

maglover52
07-17-2003, 04:00 PM
this is a highly modified xr50 it is probally worth cose to $8,500.00 bucks. my new little hobbie. also it makes a nice pit bike for at the mx races:D

rhetor22
07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
i get around 165 miles on a full tank (4.8g tank)

Cliff

wow. i get 200 miles out of 18 gallons. and less than 200 a year for insurance?!!?!??! if i could find a bike in good condition, thats missing an engine... oh boy i would be so happy. I can build little engines like those in a snap!

Is the 250 a 2-stroke? cuz that would really make my day! I love two stroke engines, the powerbands on them are unmatched for fun.

MicrOMag
07-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Thats all I got Heat. I not sure where the guy clipped that from. Dam Europeans supposedly actualy drive thier scoots like that I hear! The sparks flying is cool but one wonders how many times you can do that and not wear through to the oil. :D

they put skid pads/bars down on the back to do that

MicrOMag
07-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Well one thing I found out today that I didn't know is that BMW makes a scooter. Rather odd cool one at that...

In Spain I saw a bunch of the BMW ones where the people are enclosed.

MiniMag84
07-17-2003, 05:23 PM
rhetor22 the 250 is a 4stroke i believe.

JRSJKD
07-17-2003, 07:29 PM
wow....havent posted here in forever. but this is hot topic lately at school so......

First off lemme say that i just got off of summer break from school. Spring fever hit Cali and all of a sudden theres a ton of new bikes parked next to my dirty '00 R6. Lots new riders on '03 Gixxer 1k's, '03 R1's, '03 R6. When I got back to school this week and 4 riders had crashes over the 3 1/2 week break.

First.....you have to be realistic about the power that even a 600cc bike is capable off. Yes there are uber car enthusiasts out there with 8 milion HP mustangs....but for the most part.....you can crush just about everything out there on a stock 600......liter bikes are in a world of their own.

that being said, you also need to realize most new riders go down in the first 3 months of riding.

ok, ok....enough lecturing. I would say start with the MSF course(motorcycle saftey foundation). Will teach you some valuable tools and in most places is good for a 15% annual discount on insurance after completion. sound like you can already ride, the course is also good for its statistics and street strategies. by knowing where the most accidents happen(as compiled by the Hurt report) you can more actively aviod them.

ok.....so buying. I would say no bigger and no smaller than a 600. You will outgrow a EX500 fast, a 600 will be faster than you for years after you have been racing it on the track. most cant even exploit the 600 full potential there either. I really like the SV's. Great bikes, a blast to ride in the canyons, right price, and there are a ton of guys who race them up here at Willow Springs. I think the bike is damn sexy too!!! Id steer you towards a DUC or Aprilla.....but being only mortal and having a mortals bank account...well i just cant afford one...and the premium servicing too.

Something to keep in mind. tires dont last long5-7k depending on riding. Its almost $400 alone in tires every couple of months for me depending on how much rec riding I do. If your going to the track, that set of tires will be shot by the end of the day.

couple other things to consider. Make sure you have a good helmet, gloves, boots, jacket. You should have almost 1k just for this. Dont make the mistake of getting serious about gear AFTER you first fall. Im stuck with the huge funny shaped scar on my knee...hopefully you can learn from my mistake.

No matter how hard you try, you wil push your limits at some point. We all learn(most anyway) at some point in our riding that we have to respect the power. My lesson came AFTER flipping what was my then 3 month old R6, while getting too hot in a turn up on Mulholland drive. I walked away, banged up pretty good...bike took couple months to get back since there were 3 other R6 ahead of me in the shop and an eventual trip to the frame shop as well.

My lesson/crash was best thing that ever happened to me. Instead of going bigger, badder, faster...i spent tons cash in suspension setup and track time.

I guess im preaching here, but its fresh on my mind after having three friends go into the hospital in three weeks. Everyone wants the 'busa's and gixxer 1k's to prove how fast and bad they are. They just prove pavement always wins.

Grab an SV, get good gear, go riding, learn, read, go to a track school, keep it rubber side down and have a blast. Its a life long hobby if your smart about it :)

jrsjkd

Cliffio
07-17-2003, 11:46 PM
phil, i have one ticket in the last 3 years, and those are my insurance numbers. of course they depend on where you are located.

jrsjkd- i agree with almost everything you have said except the part about the 600. my friend has a ninja 500 for just over a year now, and hes just getting ready to get a 600. the problem when you tell people a 600 is ok, is that they buy 2003 r6's or a gixxer 6 or something in that nature, and those bikes are too dangerous imho. now maybe a late model katana 600 or an older 600 ninja would be good, but these new super sport 6's are too fast for begginners.

but in my opnion i would NEVER buy a NEW bike as a first one, just not smart. some people think, well my insurance will cover it, but when you total it everyones premiums go up.

tires arent really that big of a problem for me, i mean you can always find some discount tires if your in a jam, i mean yeah they wont handle AS WELL but they have to be decent. not always a smart thing to do, but if you just ride the bike in town, not a HUGE deal. - dont get me wrong a good set of tires is hard to beat. and if you order them off the internet prepare to be RAPED when you want to get the mounted!!! so depending on the dealers in your area it can be cheaper to just buy the tires from a dealer, the best thing to do is find out how much BEFORE you order them from the internet.

but minimag seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he wants a 250 and not a liter bike.

on a side note, i have something to say about other riders. i cant understand it but harley riders tend to not wave at sportbike riders. but i ALWAYS wave at anything with 2 wheels, i waved at some old lady on a scooter this morning. i would advise any new riders to do the same.

i dont really know who im talking to but oh well:)

Cliff

Zumina
07-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Harley owners are just too proud. When you spend $12k on a big, heavy, loud bike that utilizes 1930s technology, you'll know why.

Cliffio
07-18-2003, 12:04 AM
well i still wave at em all, i hope it pisses them off.

anyway zumina, what year is that zx6?

Zumina
07-18-2003, 12:18 AM
it's a '95.

Cliffio
07-18-2003, 12:24 AM
whats your other bike?

and do you just have liability on both bikes? cause for 180 or whatever you said, just curious

maglover52
07-18-2003, 12:29 AM
more 50s!!!

maglover52
07-18-2003, 12:31 AM

Cliffio
07-18-2003, 12:34 AM
can you please explain to me exactly what those are, ive seen mini bikes that look like sport bikes, but not that look like motor cross.

Cliff

maglover52
07-18-2003, 01:01 AM
there called xr 50s honda makes them. they are designed for little kids that are like 2-7 years old but so many people make aftermarket parts you can make them work great for a guy whos over 200 pounds.

Cliffio
07-18-2003, 01:19 AM
ok, so what do you use them for?

whats the top speed?

Zumina
07-18-2003, 01:32 AM
my other bike is an 85' Honda CB650 SC Nighthawk. I carry theft on the ZX, but liability is all you really need.

JRSJKD
07-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Cliffio....i agree. The new 600 are just about track ready out the door nowadays. My thinking there is if he is buying new, the price point along with the resale value IMHO is too close to buy anything less. Hopefully, he can keep his head about him and learn on the six in that case.

A better option would be to buy something older. An old Honda F3 is a great bike, can be picked up really cheap, and is much more forgiving and easy to ride than the current crop of 600's out there.

Your first year of riding is really rough on a new bike. Close gear ratios and engines that have 15k redlines take time to learn how to ride right...Im sure as a new rider my tranny suffered that first year. Ride the h3ll out of a used bike like and F3 or EX500, and then sell it in year to someone like yourself and buy new after you have some miles under your belt.

Let that used bike take those little drops in the driveway that we all eventually have :P

Cliffio
07-18-2003, 03:22 AM
not only are you rough on a first bike, but if you lay it down or drop it in a drive way, guess what, the value of that new bike drops quite a bit, depending of course on how bad, but i myself bought my zx-6r used, its not my first bike, i learned on an 82 kawi ltd 750:) not the perfect bike, but i only paid 800 bucks for it, so you cant beat that.

but i would agree that an f3, or maybe an even older f2 would be a perfect first bike. still pretty sporty looking and still rather quick but not like a brand new r6:)

Cliff

bofh
07-18-2003, 09:57 AM

I just wanted to second this statment. Always wear your gear. They make Kelvar lined jeans if you don't want the look of chaps, or ride in leathers.

I'd also suggest a cheap 80's bike for a starter bike, since you can get them for mighty cheap, and they'll have plenty of power, and you won't feel bad when you drop it at a standstill because you forgot the sidestand. :) or say, when you back it into a garage that has a 3 inch rise...

phil16628
07-18-2003, 10:22 AM
here is my bike i just got it sat. i love it... i keep up with my friends who have a 03 r6 and 03 f4i and 03 rr its pretty sweet for a first bike..

maglover52
07-18-2003, 02:02 PM
most people trick them out and use them for pit bikes and they have races for them. i dunno the tops speed but they have tons of power andtorque for there size.

ok, so what do you use them for?

whats the top speed?

MiniMag84
07-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Phil, what kind of bike is that?

phil16628
07-19-2003, 02:20 AM
its a '98 kawasaki ninja 500r top speed is like 140.. they are very fast for a 500..

rhetor22
07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
http://www.freemanpr.com/casehistories/fisher-price2.jpg

sorry i just had too.