PDA

View Full Version : Close Call, Saved by the Macro Line.

SG Avenger
07-12-2003, 05:15 PM
So I got to the field today, and my Lv10 started acting up.. it was just like, "up yours, I aint gon' shoot non of dis here field paint."

So I was making some adjustments and gasing it back up to test each tweek. On one of the tries, I put it back together but forgot the field strip screw! I gased it up, pulled the trigger, and the trigger didnt come back. it was limp, then I saw the near full inch gap between the ULE body, and the X-Valve.. OH NO!

Fortunatly the macro-line had a serious bite down on the Valve, and I was able to get the tank off before something bad happened.

[grin] they make the marker simple enough to take apart with 1 screw, and I failed to get that right today!

Brak
07-12-2003, 05:46 PM
im sorry, but i have the urge to call you an idiot, but ill hold back. glad it didnt explode

SG Avenger
07-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Indeed.. that was pretty stupid...

sneakyhacker420
07-12-2003, 06:14 PM
i'm glad that the on/off pin or bolt didn't harpoon somebody :eek:

nt2004
07-12-2003, 07:19 PM
stainless line is a pain. Im a bit uneasy whenever i gas up my mag. I use micro line. Its tiny and thin. Im always afraid that one day it'll just randomly explode

07-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Somebodies line exploded at our feild today. It souned like a gunshot.

nuclear zombie
07-12-2003, 07:21 PM
it happens , it's a good thing you didn't mill the the twist lock off of the back of rail or it could have been worse :rolleyes:

we all screw up(or in your case forgot to ) , I'm just glad I didn't have to go to a funeral :)

SG Avenger
07-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Honestly I think the worst that would have happened was the line would have gave way, and the valve would have shot off a few feet. The rest of the air would have rushed through the system until it was empty.

I ran microline originaly when I got my mag back in 98'. I couldnt figure out how that tiny thing held.

minimag187
07-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Im using parker macroline, if thats any good?

poolshark5226
07-12-2003, 09:11 PM
macroline is macroline

Army
07-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by poolshark5226
macroline is macroline

Parker Paraflex is built to take on the military. I've used Paraflex for 6 years, even before YOU guys could, and wouldn't dream of using any other plastic line. It is rated for much higher pressures than "normal" macro-line.

Cypres0099
07-12-2003, 10:48 PM
That's not so bad. It took a second for my friend to figure out that the huge leak on the inside of his gun was actually that he forgot to put the bolt back in.:p

ttoad4000t
07-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by nt2004
Im always afraid that one day it'll just randomly explode

I bought some brand new mirco, and the day i got it, i went to the field, and about 2 hours after gassing it up, i was setting my gun on the table, and the mirco line blew up right in my hand, and it hurt like hell, and it was REALLY loud too....Ever sense then ive used SS. :)

Clockwork_Orange
07-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Micro/macrolines make me nervous:( Never again!!!!!

acecl22
07-13-2003, 02:36 PM
ummm, i thought that microline was only rated for like 300 psi, whereas macro is rated for like 1000-1500(not sure about those). micro is used on the cocker 3-ways right. i thought that running micro as a main line was very dangerous and especially for a mag cuz your input pressure should be around 8-900, correct me if im wrong about any of this

Mav D MagMan
07-13-2003, 02:44 PM
You're right ACE, unless it's on a cocker's 3-way, you shouldn't use microline on your paintball equipment... why?

1. Lower flow rate - restricts your air flow, which leads to shootdown etc.
2. Lower burst pressure - Nt2004: You should be afraid, it'll blow at much lower pressures than Macroline would.
3. Macroline is just plain better ;) (but still not as strong/durable as steel lines, it's just easier to work with!)

Mav

SIGSays
07-13-2003, 03:13 PM
dam dude... if you got hit by the valve... hot damn...

Prairie
07-13-2003, 03:15 PM
My dad brought home some Parker 4 years or so ago, from his work.

Great stuff, been using it ever since.

GoatBoy
07-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Guess I should rattle this stuff off in order...

1. The twist lock on the valve should have held it there. Presuming you were not foolish enough to forget that lock PLUS the field strip screw. I believe that's one of the reasons why they did put the twist lock on there.

2. Unless you've actually seen the specs on the PSI ratings of the lines first hand, all of you are simply basing your numbers on hearsay. I haven't been able to find the ratings on the lines or the fittings. It seems you guys can't even keep from confusing the the cocker 4-way lines and the stronger, thicker type of microline.

3. I'm betting ttoad4000t bought colored microline, and/or was running CO2 and left the gun out in the sun. Or he damaged his microline somehow like putting a kink in it or bending it too much. Oftentimes people leave out some rather pertinent details in these little anecdotal stories.

4. Someone out there needs to seriously prove whether microline (not the kind you use on the 3-way, but the normal harder stuff used like regular line) at 850PSI or thereabouts really "leads to shootdown". Sounds like bunk if you ask me.

5. As far as the micro/macroline safety debate, I believe the macroline actually has a lower working/burst pressure than the microline. Again, this is from trying to find these numbers online.

Considering how pressure works -- POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH, the "square inch" part refers to surface area. The more surface area the tube has, the more pressure it's going to feel. So which one has more inner surface area, the microline or the macroline? Or worse yet, which fittings appear to have more inner surface area, the microline fittings or the macroline fittings?

I do believe that in any case, we are running these plastic lines outside of working range, but within burst range, barring stupidity with CO2. Which one would you rather run out of spec, the smaller line, or the larger line? When you start having to bend the line as I have seen a lot of people do, which one would you rather bend, the micro or the macro?

So uhm... No, I would not say "macroline is just plain better". Not without actual proof, or better insight.

Catch22
07-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Cocker Pneumatics don't use microline. It's different. Micro is like a hard plastic line. The line used on most autocockers is a softer plastic. Well at least it should be. I don't know if microline would even fit over those barbs on the LPR and ram n' stiff.

Mav D MagMan
07-13-2003, 04:28 PM
OT
Okay okay, had that one comming good post GoatBoy, you could be a little nicer about it... :\ --> ;)

Anyways, yes I am aware that that isn't true microline on the pnuematics of an autococker, however it is similar is it not? And even then it's only operating at what *LOW* psi so I'll shudup? ;)

I did some resarch as well, and fine I may have made a mistake on the type of microline offered for paintball use. I've found plenty with the same burst pressure rating (which was determined by multiplying the operating pressure by four, not too exact of a science).

If I'm wrong, please post the difference in the actual operating pressure of the two plastic lines, maybe the difference will help prove our points, I would like to see numbers along with opinion.

You do have a point about the psi pressures on the plastic lines (based on size etc.) but on the topic of flow, if you show me the inner diameter of that plastic line being wider than that of the hole in an ASA I'll stop claiming it's a restriction to flow.

If it is smaller, I'll still stand by my claim, it's a restriction to air flow and therefore will cause shootdown etc. If it's wider, it definitely is not, and I'm wrong (it isn't like it's the first time) ;)

I'll stick with my macro, although you have shaken my faith in the plastic lines! Lol

Mav

(BTW I would still say Macrolines better, you don't have to, it's my darn opinion, which is hard to change but still possible!)

P.S. Please PM me to continue this, I don't want to clutter up the thread, we're way off topic!

magnj
07-13-2003, 04:38 PM
I ran SS on my mag cuz I was scared of my mag lol. I run Macro now, and its fine.

The stupidest thing I have done. I needed to see the output psi of my Raptor tank, so i bought a brass splitter at home depot. I didn't even look at the Rating I just threw 1000 psi into it to run my mag!

Clockwork_Orange
07-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm a bit skeptical on using a macroline, how realiable is it? I first used one (I'm not to sure if it was micro or macro) about 4 years ago and it kept bursting on me everytime I moved my drop. Don't get me wrong my setup was I little past the lines tolerance, so if I moved my cradle up an inch or back an inch it would just burst. Since then I changed the entire setup and look of my marker and stood with ss.

I would really love to switch to a macro especially a clear one, but I'm hesitant to do so. How are the Paraflex hoses? Do they come in clear?

paintball man 222
07-13-2003, 07:56 PM
i have macro line on my minimag, i use it from my foregrip to the bottom line, after reading this post i apprehensive about using it, since it very old(3 years) should i get some new stainless steel lines?

SG Avenger
07-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by paintball man 222
i have macro line on my minimag, i use it from my foregrip to the bottom line, after reading this post i apprehensive about using it, since it very old(3 years) should i get some new stainless steel lines?

I dont know about changing your setup to Stainless lines, but after 3 years, you may want to at least pick up a new strand of Macro line.

If you do choose SS line, think about what upgrades you may want in the future, since you'll have to buy entire new lengths of the hose, instead of cutting off what you need.

What decided it for me in the end, was style...

Catch22
07-13-2003, 10:18 PM
I personally love the look of the Hard Lines on the old Mini's and the RTpro's. I think that the look is very clean and defined with hard lines. But IMO Macro looks way better than stainless. and it's more flexible.

Matt_mg
07-13-2003, 10:38 PM
I beleive in macroline!

It CAN hold 800-900 PSI, I used that on my cocker /shrugs and it worked fine.

For all you bursting guys, have you ever though that pulling on a pressurised gas line might not be a good idea ;)? Seriously though macro need to be ALL THE WAY IN the fitting to work at 100% and still have some room to play in case you snag it...

SS is really too ugly, if you know your macro it will NEVER burst hardline is really classy but you can't cut/modify it...

All hail macroline!

Derman2k
07-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Clockwork_Orange
I would really love to switch to a macro especially a clear one, but I'm hesitant to do so. How are the Paraflex hoses? Do they come in clear?

If you do get clear macroline...DON'T order it from Actionvillage..I ordered 2 feet, used it in 3 pieces, One went on my friends cocker. All 3 pieces blew. Friend bought some for his spyder, his blew too.

Grasshopper
07-13-2003, 11:41 PM
My macroline blew last time I played (Saturday). It was brand new, too. And I made sure it was all the way in the fittings. Ruined my day :(

NJPaint
07-14-2003, 12:28 AM
Microline can have a pressure rating as high as the 1200 psi... Its sometimes stronger than macroline. The biggest difference between the two is the air flow. Other than that they are just plastic. I'm pretty sure cocker 3 ways don't have microline on them...

Clockwork_Orange
07-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Derman2k:
If you do get clear macroline...DON'T order it from Actionvillage..I ordered 2 feet, used it in 3 pieces, One went on my friends cocker. All 3 pieces blew. Friend bought some for his spyder, his blew too.
Wow, that's bad:( I'll just stick with the ss for now;)

SG Avenger
07-14-2003, 06:13 AM
I was thinking about getting clear at one point, but it isnt truely clear, just a semi-transparent white. Or at least i've never seen a true clear one.

athomas
07-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by poolshark5226
macroline is macroline

Not true.

This is a general misconception throughout the industry. Macroline can have a rating from a few hundred psi to 15000psi or more depending on the material and thickness of the tubing.

I have seen lots of macrolines burst in the last year as people try to get the "best deal" they can for all their pretty macro line colors. Don't scrimp here and insist on seeing the data sheet on the line you are purchasing to ensure you are getting the proper stuff.

Good macroline costs a bit more but a few extra dollars will keep your hundreds or thousands of dollars of equipment from failing on the field. And we all know that there is nothing worse than hearing that pop! hiss! as you are about to make that key move on someone in the middle of a game.

Evil Bob
07-14-2003, 03:09 PM
In the end, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra couple bucks and get yourself something that will last and not be the weakest link in your equipment.

Know what your hose is rated for in operating psi. Not knowing or guessing is an invitation to either a quick trip off the field or a quick trip to the emergency room.

Had a front man on our team blow a hose in his hand back in 1999 just as he was settling in at the 50 yard bunker off a break. He was in the process of lifting his marker up when he brushed the macroline with his left hand, it exploded (loud gunshot sound), he dropped his marker and jumped up screaming in pain, ref ran to him, noticed immediately that his hand was bleeding, called a stop to the game, and then they ran him off the field. He ended up getting 8 stitches total across his middle, ring, and pinky fingers on his left hand, tore the skin on his fingers right open. He was wearing fingerless gloves at the time, it could easily have been worse had he not been wearing gloves at all.

He was running 1100 psi into his RT at the time, the macroline he was using was only rated for 750, he had been using it at 1100 for a good 8 months before it blew on him.

-Evil Bob

FalconGuy016
07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Evil Bob
In the end, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra couple bucks and get yourself something that will last and not be the weakest link in your equipment.

Know what your hose is rated for in operating psi. Not knowing or guessing is an invitation to either a quick trip off the field or a quick trip to the emergency room.

Had a front man on our team blow a hose in his hand back in 1999 just as he was settling in at the 50 yard bunker off a break. He was in the process of lifting his marker up when he brushed the macroline with his left hand, it exploded (loud gunshot sound), he dropped his marker and jumped up screaming in pain, ref ran to him, noticed immediately that his hand was bleeding, called a stop to the game, and then they ran him off the field. He ended up getting 8 stitches total across his middle, ring, and pinky fingers on his left hand, tore the skin on his fingers right open. He was wearing fingerless gloves at the time, it could easily have been worse had he not been wearing gloves at all.

He was running 1100 psi into his RT at the time, the macroline he was using was only rated for 750, he had been using it at 1100 for a good 8 months before it blew on him.

-Evil Bob

1100? Thats a bit much

My macro has been on my gun for 2 years I believe, still good. Im thinking of replacing it just because its getting old.

Evil Bob
07-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Yeah, 1100 psi in the old classic RT valve was a bit in the extreme, but he liked how reactive it was at that pressure, it was normal for him to have his valve vent out the rear now and then, life on the edge...

-Evil Bob