PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Tom Kaye / Automag pics (Be afraid. Be VERY afraid....)

Tyger
07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
I was scanning a bunch of covers to demo something in the costume thread when I found an old Paintcheck from 1991. And looking inside, I found this :

http://www.tyger.us/pubimages/oldschool/91AM-TOM.JPG

Tom, 1991, using the first generation of Nitrogen systems. The Paintcheck 1991 5 man was where it was unveiled, and not to any small ammount of controversy.

EDIT ADD : This was the precursor to the "IAO", by the way. It became the "California Magnum Am. Open", then "Zap International Am Open" later on. It took place at Skirmish, in PA.

Instead of trying to get it to OCR right, I scanned the few collumns of the page pertanant to it, and I put it on my site. http://www.tyger.us/pubimages/oldschool/91CLIP.JPG will take you to the 'controversy' of Nitrogen as an "alternative source of power" for paintall guns.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I also scanned one of the coolest coevers for a paintball mag ever. Paintball Sports, April 1991. Taken on the Pacific Coast highway. Enjoy.

Paintall Archivist (or Anarchist, depending who you ask...)

-Tyger

MarkM
07-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Well I read the attached article...is it just me or did something slip the writer by when he put his fingers to the keyboard, I had to read it at least 3 times ! Ok sometimes we get all the k m8 c u l8tr type posts but even they are easy to read than that article.

Doc Nickel
07-14-2003, 05:55 PM
It's a matter of the write not fully understanding the argument, and trying to convey it in a short, to the point style.

The facts of tha matter were that everyone- meaning tourney officials- were worried about the HPA systems. They were worried that the tanks, at such high pressures, could explode, or that the reg might fail, dumping full tank pressure into the gun, which would explode or rupture a hose making a lethal "whip", etcetera.

Naturally, if the tank is rated for the pressure, it's not going to "explode", but the reg failure was a valid complaint. That's why almost every system out there has both a tank-pressure and a gun-pressure burst disc. If the reg fails, the gun-pressure disc blows to keep the marker from being overpressured and damaged.

As I recall, the first big-name event to allow HPA was the '95 NPPL. The previous year, actually, some people were caught with multiple-CO2-tank setups in fannypacks, with the tanks full of HP air rather than CO2. Needless to say, 3K psi in a 1.8K rated tank was extremely dangerous.

Also note an even more interesting thing:

Tom Kaye and his Team deferred their points and prizes voluntarily to the next-place winners, due to controversy over the HPA use, even though velocities and such were proven legal later.

In '98, did the All-Americans defer their points and standings when the controversy of their using the so-called "Turbo"-programmed Shockers came to light?

Doc.

Tyger
07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
A bit later tonight I can scan the whole thing, and put it up for public consumption. I just scanned the bit pertaining to the 'controversy'. I think it was mostly a manner o new thing, and no a lot of exposure to it at the time.

And besides, that's Ken Kelsch. His tournament reportin gstyle was "Ok, here's who won, but let me tell you who threw the best parties..." :D

-Tyger

magking1971
07-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Wow it looks like if a strong wind came up tom would fly away:D ;)

DiRTyBuNNy
07-14-2003, 11:00 PM
forget those pictures Tyger...you should show everyone those pimpin pictures of Youngblood you have (I didn't want to post them without your permission)...those will blow the minds of all the noobs..

Python14
07-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Doc Nickel
As I recall, the first big-name event to allow HPA was the '95 NPPL. The previous year, actually, some people were caught with multiple-CO2-tank setups in fannypacks, with the tanks full of HP air rather than CO2. Needless to say, 3K psi in a 1.8K rated tank was extremely dangerous.

I am pretty sure I have that on video actually. I have the '94 NPPL Ironman video and they interview a team shooting mostly Automags, and one guy in particular has like three co2 tanks on a 16 pod harness, all of them leaking of coarse. I am pretty sure this is what you are talking about.

Richter
07-14-2003, 11:36 PM
if i remember correctly in 95 was one of the last years they had the first npppl event in dallas. I got really cold that year and anyone that had compressed air ruled the day. they then move the first event to california. (mind i could be incorrect about this i had just started playing in the summer/fall of 94).

on another thought....
Back in those days i also heard of players that used nitrogen but since very few could get close to a 3000 psi fill many people dangerously and illegally laced the nitrogen with a few ounces of co2. I remember a my first tourney at warped sportz in Kearney Nebraska(called splat city then) were they did just that(lace the nitro with co2) because thier compressor was broken. I also heard rumors of some teams recently doing this in order to give back players smaller tanks and still shoot huge amounts of paint. (just rumors though)

Tyger
07-15-2003, 01:57 AM
I've heard players making coctails as recently as last year. CO2 & HPA in a fiber tank. Safety be damned, it's all about throwing more paint.

**sigh**

Oh, Bunny? Which pics of YB? Post 'em if I haven't already...

-Tyger

snoogans
07-15-2003, 02:17 AM
me like the pics:D

Flamebo
07-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Revolutionary nitrogen-powered paintgun? Pfft. It'll never last.

Matt_mg
07-15-2003, 07:13 AM
What's the problem with using Co2 in an HPA bottle, arn't they more resistant than Co2 bottles???

Someone plz explain!

(Of course it's not good for non Co2 guns but cockers and imuplses coulde benefit form the mix)

DiRTyBuNNy
07-16-2003, 12:47 AM
Here are the YB photos that I spoke of earlier (since I got Tyger's ok to post them)...you may have posted them earlier..but I don't remember..oh well..

Check out these Old School Pictures of Dave Youngblood of Dye Precision

http://www.tyger.us/pubimages/oldschool/APG91-6.JPG
Nice Tux Dave...you look like Fred Schultz..

http://www.tyger.us/pubimages/oldschool/APG93-6.JPG
That looks like a sniper/cocker to me...Tyger..did I blow this one?

http://www.tyger.us/pubimages/oldschool/YB-AD.JPG
Dave in an old-school I&I sports ad...Tyger, what is he shooting by the way?

Tyger
07-16-2003, 04:10 AM
Well, my secret stash has been found. :)

First pic, int eh stripes : I believe that's a Carter Comp.

Second pic, APG cover, That's a PMI-3 / VM-68, wiht custom chroming on it.

The I&I ad, that's a Tippman 68 special.

You know, looking at that, and then looking at the "Boomstick"... I see the pinache for long barrels....

-Tyger

Load SM5
07-16-2003, 06:14 AM
Woof....it's hard to tell exactly but that Golden Eagle is looking pretty ugly in the 3rd pic.

cledford
07-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Not sure if you guys remember this post by Tom or not... Here is a letter he put up a while back that was originally sent to the IPPA regarding the safety of HPA when they were trying to disallow it:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18922&highlight=letter

-Calvin

Clockwork_Orange
07-16-2003, 11:18 AM
That's Dave Youngblood?!? LOL...He looks like Johnny from The Karate Kid.:D

Ukraineboy
07-16-2003, 12:24 PM
lol...

Paint on Paint off.... Paint on Paint off...

wobbles82
07-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Tom kinda looks like a Ghostbuster....and if anybody remembers....nobody trusted their ideas either :D