PDA

View Full Version : Got the WRONG XMAG from 888paintball!

S.S Bandit1
07-14-2003, 05:32 PM
I GOT MY BRAND NEW XMAG TODAY FROM 888PAINTBALL!!

BUT, they managed to screw things up! I was suppose to get a pewter one but I got a silver unannoed xmag. I was really pissed at first because I paid to get an annoed one and what I got should have been cheaper than what I paid. Also, on the box it said silver but someone white-outed the word in front of it, which I believe it really said raw silver. The guy at 888paintball that I talked to was an idiot! I tried to explain to him that he should discount the price because there is no anno but he kept saying there is no price difference for the wrong color (except this gun has NO color).

After shooting it though all my anger went away...This gun is sooo awesome! I'm going to try to talk to someone else at 888paintball. I want to keep this xmag and do some crazy anno job on it. Maybe an orange to yellow fade like tunaman did on one guys emag or I might do it all nickel.

EDIT: After learning that AGD does not sell unannoed xmags I now know mine is silver with clear anno. I still dont like the fact that there are a few small scratches under the anno and its not all polished the same! I will be reannoing it some time in the future...
http://home.wi.rr.com/pbteam/xmag1.jpg

cphilip
07-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Very VERY odd. Typical of 888 but still that one was shipped Raw even. I not certain what happened there.... I have my doubts its Raw. It could be clear anno. Or even Silver... Its nice though I think.

BajaBoy
07-14-2003, 05:37 PM
yea there morons... they always mess up my stuff

cphilip
07-14-2003, 05:39 PM
That barrel? Is that now stock? Doesn't look it to me...

fire1811
07-14-2003, 05:39 PM
i think i would be complaining if it is "RAW" and not annod any color then you must remember that you are going to play hell to get it annod.
the steal ring you have to take out to anno is hella hard to do
and yes i would call back and get a discount it does cost more for annodizing

but if you like it whatever

manike
07-14-2003, 05:48 PM
I expect it is actually a silver X-mag.

I doubt AGD would send out an assembled but unanodised gun.

Silver guns are pretty much just 'clear anno' over the aluminium.

Pewter is silver on it's way to being made black, you can get very different shades of pewter from just off silver (like the SFL) to really quite dark.

You should be able to tell if it is anodised by seeing if it is conductive or not...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Just give it to vangogo and do the original emag splash!!

S.S Bandit1
07-14-2003, 06:26 PM
pretty sure it is raw, but it does look like it may have been polished a bit. Problem is that it is not uniform polished and there are some imperfections on it. You cant tell in the pic, but if I took one up close you would see what i'm talking about.

cphilip- yes it is the stock barrel, but it is also unannoed.

"Just give it to vangogo and do the original emag splash!!" -I'm probablly gunna do something differnt so it really stands out.

e mag
07-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by S.S Bandit1
Maybe an orange to yellow fade like tunaman did on one guys emag or I might do it all nickel.

they were tequila sunrise mags, i think he just got them from AGD. i agree that its probably silver or clear, AGD probably wouldnt send out a raw xmag.
edit: a bad pic but the color combination still looks nice
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=494888

S.S Bandit1
07-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by e mag

they were tequila sunrise mags, i think he just got them from AGD. i agree that its probably silver or clear, AGD probably wouldnt send out a raw xmag.

I'm not sure if this one is a tequila sunrise but I like it:

Orange to Yellow Fade E-Mag (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90067&highlight=orange+to+yellow+fade)

I might do something like that...

Animal Mother
07-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Look at it this way.. when you annodize it you can ditch that ugly as sin barrel and have a Dye Ultralight match the rest of the gun.

Mmm.. dust pewter to black.. and you can have the tip of the barrel black.. then pewter that fades into the gun.. then fades to black again...

That's just my style, but again.. you can have a Dye Ultralight annodized at the same time to match. those barrels.. good god they look bad, LOL

RRfireblade
07-14-2003, 07:00 PM
If it is actually raw, I hope the guy who wanted to custom anno his likes the pewter one he got a good deal on.:D

Jay.

MoBiLe
07-14-2003, 07:38 PM
if you dont like it then ill gladly take it off your hands
:D
nice xmag tho
i like the silver/unannnoed color
but, thats me

S.S Bandit1
07-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Animal Mother
Look at it this way.. when you annodize it you can ditch that ugly as sin barrel and have a Dye Ultralight match the rest of the gun.

I want to have a barrel annoed to match. I'm thinking about doing a matching freak or scepter.

JAM
07-15-2003, 10:23 AM
yeah, it is silver/clear ano. I had one just like it. I wouldn't re-ano it, that is probably more trouble than it's worth. if it's not what you want, return it.

S.S Bandit1
07-15-2003, 11:35 AM
The xmag needs some kind of anno... it looks like its fresh out of the cnc machine. Not sure what i'm gunna do yet.

cphilip
07-15-2003, 11:41 AM
I would almost bet its Annod already. Its just clear anno or light Silver. I think it looks nice. Course it is not pewter like you thought it would be but its nice. And I would keep it that way. The box is clearly marked Silver so it is.

e mag
07-15-2003, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure if this one is a tequila sunrise but I like it:

Orange to Yellow Fade E-Mag (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90067&highlight=orange+to+yellow+fade)

I might do something like that...
it is, but like i said it's a bad picture. it's an old picture and it's been discussed whether it was a bad picture, or a bad anodizing job, but some people who saw it at world cup said it looked fine.

LaW
07-15-2003, 01:19 PM

I want to have a barrel annoed to match. I'm thinking about doing a matching freak or scepter.

Hey man hows it going, glad you got a nice new toy :)

As far as getting it annoed, I woudl recommend against it. It is the same reason why i chose not to reanno my SFL. There is an increased possibility that you WILL run into more problems from getting it annod'... if you really want a different anno I would suggest getting the place you bought it from to get you a new one and return the one you have or like you said they should discount you some.

~WarpedRT#2~
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Coffee, whats the original E-Mag splash look like?

nuclear zombie
07-15-2003, 04:39 PM
just give AGD a call have your serial number and they should be able to tell you if it was anno silver or not .

I would bet that it is annodized clear/silver but it would be very hard to tell considering how thin annodizing really is and it being chemically bonded to the metal would look just like a high polish .

RRfireblade
07-15-2003, 06:07 PM
pretty sure it is raw, but it does look like it may have been polished a bit. Problem is that it is not uniform polished and there are some imperfections on it. You cant tell in the pic, but if I took one up close you would see what i'm talking about.

I don't care what color it's supposed to be,if it looks like it just came off the cnc that's completely unacceptable after waiting 7 months to a year listening to excuses of high standards and superior quality control.I'd definitly send it back and expect a timely response and or replacement.

jay.

fire1811
07-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

I don't care what color it's supposed to be,if it looks like it just came off the cnc that's completely unacceptable after waiting 7 months to a year listening to excuses of high standards and superior quality control.I'd definitly send it back and expect a timely response and or replacement.

jay.

well first of all he didnt wait he bought it form 888paintball.
and if they ordered it silver there isnt a silver anno its clear so not much they can do there.
as for the sending it back/replacement again if it was ordered that color i doubt they will take it back.

RRfireblade
07-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by fire1811

well first of all he didnt wait he bought it form 888paintball.
and if they ordered it silver there isnt a silver anno its clear so not much they can do there.
as for the sending it back/replacement again if it was ordered that color i doubt they will take it back.

First of all, everyones been waiting for the release and availabilty of the X-Mag since it's start regardless of the supplier.

Second of all,he ordered pewter and may or may have not recieved clear/silver(big difference to me).For $1400 he should get the right color.

Third of all, if it has all the flaws and machine marks he says it has it should have NEVER left the factory in the first place.

Jay.

S.S Bandit1
07-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Hey Law, haven't talked to you in a while.

If you reccommend against reannodizing the gun, what about getting the whole thing nickel plated??? Why are people saying that I shouldn't get it reannoed? After all, I shouldn't be too upset about the wrong color cuz I got to skip the HUGE waiting list and got an X-mag right away. Plus, like I said, all my anger goes away when I shoot this thing. The way I look at the situation is, now I may be able to get the Xmag done exactly the color I want, instead of choosing between Pewter(the color I was supposed to get), Green, or Red. Plus,I don't mind the color that much, but the silver doesn't look uniform (different silvers on different parts) and every little surface scratch stands out like crazy. That's why I thought the gun was never annodized. Is it possible that it is just polish and not clear or silver anno, that is what it really looks like.

fire1811
07-15-2003, 07:16 PM
ssbandit1 i doubt that agd would have send out a completed xmag with no anno done yet, its safe to assume its clear.

as for the problem with annodizing a sfl/xmag/mircomag
open the breech and look where the bolt comes out. ok see that ring. its steal, when you have something annodized it can only have aluminum in the anno bath any steal will mess it up. that ring it locktited in with god knows what type of locktite(industrial i would assume) also there is a set screw in the bottom of the body to hold the ring in also, it is also locktited in.

its a extreme pain to get the set screw and ring out.

hope that helps

Da1spaz247
07-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Yes, it does help. Thanks. So you are saying the steel sleeve is threaded in? I know you said it is also held in with a set screw, but if I get that out, is the sleeve gonna be able to be pressed out, or will it need to be unscrewed? I'll have some guys from a machine shop take a look at it, if they think the can tackle it w/out damadging the body, I'm gonna go for it. Is that the biggest problem with annodizing? Also, If I get it Nickel Plated instead of anno, will the sleeve still need to come out??? Thanks again.

Da1spaz247
07-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Ooops, I posted under the wrong name again.....LOL. I forgot to sign in under my name again. This is actually S.S Bandit1, Da1spaz247 is my friend!!;)

fire1811
07-15-2003, 07:24 PM
the nickle plating i have no idea about

but yes the ring is threaded in there and locktited then the set screw holds it extra secure.

the way that i have heard works best is to get a bolt about 6-8 inches long with two nuts
put one nut on. put it in the back of the body and out the breech. now put the other nut on (inside the breech).

and then try to unscrew it that way.
but this is only after you get the set screw out.
hell i couldnt even get the setscrew out lol

S.S Bandit1
07-15-2003, 07:31 PM
well, so far I can picture exactly what you are talking about, it sounds like it would work. Did you try to get your set screw out and strip it? If so, why don't you drill it out and finish the job?

fire1811
07-15-2003, 07:33 PM
actually i boilded my body for about 20min to hopefully loosing up some of the dreaded locktited and then i put the allen in there and tried to get it out but broke the damn allen off. so i just gave up
gloss black is sexy enough anyway :D

S.S Bandit1
07-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Wow, you weren't satisfied with the gloss black!!! I agree, it is sexy enough. I am curious as to what the people at the machine shop will reccommend for the set screw, maybe they'll want to do it themselves. Either way, I'll prolly try to get that screw out, and if I can't then I'll just have to live with clear/silver. Or I'll buy an autococker...NOT :D

fire1811
07-15-2003, 07:53 PM
after i tried and failed i called agd for some "tips" on removing the parts.
i was told "Dont they are not made to come out after installed"

after i hung up i got thinking if i mess this body up its not like agd has them laying around where i can just call up and get another one. that was enough to make me leave it alone :D

and the machine shop is probably going to want to put a torch to the set screw and ring to break the locktite down. something i am not really willing to risk right now.

LaW
07-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Honestly its not only that but when it gets anno'd that could have some more adverse affects on the tolerances on the marker even witht he steel parts removed.

But yeah whats up man? Where you guys playing now? Please dont say BFG still :) hehe I have only played about 5-6 times this summer really all out at Apoc but right now I am in this bind as to go to shatnerball or not ... any of you guys want to sign up and go? I'll drive :) already got a guy in chicago that might carpool with me.

S.S Bandit1
07-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Law- NO, O GOD NO we don't play at BFG anymore. Why pay double for paint, it's expensive enough as it is. We have two of our own fields both in Franklin. We would've gone to the last team practice at Apocalypse, but on the way there the weather looked like it wasn't worth the drive. So, we just play a few local kids every once and a while. Anyways, hows the SFL workin for ya? Are you still anti-warp feed? Or have you come back to your senses? FYI, I'm the one who went from a WGP autococker to a Sandridge TF5 autococker, downgraded to a Dye Ultralight, traded for a ULE E-mag, and upgraded to an Xmag. I think I should be happy with this gun for a LONG time.

I just hope I can pull off a nice anno job or nickel plate the beast. Maybe the silver will grow on me (but the sexy curves of the body don't stand out as much as on a colored body!) But I LOVE the performance of this gun, it's amazing.

Give me all the details on shatnerball, maybe a few of us will be able to go.

LaW
07-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Well its end of augst, Fri, sat and sun

100 dollar register, paint is like 60 and up for prices.... get a jersey for the event , get to play on tom's team... I still have no clue if i'm going but if i am i will be registered this week

It is in Pa, so about a 12 hour drive ....

The sfl is working great, and I am still anti warp because I just rip so great when I can use both hands. Yeah you missed me up there man I was there the last team practice, it didn't rain much till afternoon. Had a fun time but I wish I had the time and money to play some more, I just bought a new car a month ago and havn't sold my old one yet. My tank needs to get rehydro'd in november but I will hopefully buy a new one soon. SFL has not given me any troubles anymore at all thats for sure.

Well hey next time you guys are going to Apoc throw me a private message and let me know. or email me at law@wi.rr.com I will come play with you guys a bit :)

ChucktheMAGician
07-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure if x-mags use the same ring as SFL's but jeffremiller got his out in this thread. http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75162

LaW
07-15-2003, 09:06 PM
wow that looks great, makes me want to get mine redone because my anno is horribly scratched since the previous owner had an unprotected SS hose against teh battery which looks horrible :(

S.S Bandit1
07-16-2003, 02:10 AM
Im in the process of contacting vangogo to see what his work might cost (not that I have a lot of money to spend after buying my xmag...)

Law- i'll try to get back to you on shatnerball

einhander619
07-17-2003, 09:24 PM
that sux, man, sorry to hear about the set screw. That kinda dashes my dreams of having a diamond dust xmag.

S.S Bandit1
07-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
that sux, man, sorry to hear about the set screw. That kinda dashes my dreams of having a diamond dust xmag.

Well, i don’t plan on giving up quite yet... I still plan on getting my xmag reannoed. If jeffremiller can do his sfl twice successfully I should be able to do my xmag.