PDA

View Full Version : macroline bursting

i_baked_cookies
07-16-2003, 12:30 AM
has any1 ever had their macroline burst on them? if so, why? i just want to make sure i can do everything to let it not happen.

nato
07-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Why yes! That unfortunate matter has happened to me! I love macro and as much crap as some say it will put out... I will always use it. For my it wasnt the line that was messed, it was the fitting. I noticed that the 90* fitting was starting to look somewhat awkward and crooked... like it was a bit spaced apart in the swivel reigion. So pretty much about 2 weeks later I was screwing with my SFL Emag when suddenly I hear a huge pop and my hose is flipping around with a nice sharp metal piece on the end. Luckly I rock so I quickly threw my SFL on the bed before I lost my hand... Lesson of the story. Look at your fittings now and then and if they change shape change them. Otherwise make sure the hose is always pushed in all the way and that is pretty much the only thing you need to watch if you want to be safe and such... wow I wrote a lot!!! Dang.

N.A.T.O.

i_baked_cookies
07-16-2003, 12:47 AM
haha, i might be willing to switch to the braided crap and just wrap some black electrical tape around it...

nato
07-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Having a macroline busting on you is very rare and does not happen to most people. And anyway it is so much nicer looking! ;)

N.A.T.O.

mobius
07-16-2003, 08:19 PM
That story has nothing to do with the macroline itself. It was the fitting that burst at the swivel, not the line. I, personally, don't trust swivel fittings for that very reason.

I've been running macroline for awhile without problems. The key is to periodically inspect the line at the ends where it inserts into the fitting. It receives the most wear at those points, and should be replaced if it gets to worn.

Bamakx
07-16-2003, 09:57 PM
I have burst my Macro line as I was going onto the field. It was extremely loud. The refs held the start of the game to make sure everyone was okay. It was not the fitting; it was at a slight bend in the tubing. There was an eraser size hole in the line. That is the location that you would expect that to happen. If the fitting go it will be the o-ring that burst and it will not be that loud. The working pressure of push to connect line is only 2-3 hundred psi and the burst pressure is 800 psi. You can get away with running HPA but if you run CO2 on a hot day and suck liquid it may go in a weak spot. I continue to run macro line but I make sure that there are not shape bends and try to keep my runs as short as possible.

GoatBoy
07-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by mobius
That story has nothing to do with the macroline itself. It was the fitting that burst at the swivel, not the line. I, personally, don't trust swivel fittings for that very reason.

I've been running macroline for awhile without problems. The key is to periodically inspect the line at the ends where it inserts into the fitting. It receives the most wear at those points, and should be replaced if it gets to worn.

You know, I see your picture... And these sorts of things worry me. The problem is, the longer the run, the more likely it is that you're going to have a failure. Plus putting a bend in it is not recommended, even if yours is not too severe.

I think it's a good idea to try to keep the runs short, and to not have them bend at all -- just go in pretty much straight lines. I see you have a vertical ASA on the front of your gun -- you might do well to run macro from the tank to there, then from there in a straight line to your valve.

Just something to think about.

Pete02019
07-17-2003, 09:48 AM
I was at FOX4 in Upton, MA this past weekend and my macro line burst. It burst in the center of the length of tubing. It was short run (no more than 4"). The tube was only *slightly* bent (I mean just barely!). The whole was approx. 3/16" in diameter.

It was a new tube, a short run & good fittings. Why did break?

*Maybe* it was because I had that marker sitting on the picnic table *in direct* sunlight in between games? Hey! its thermoplastic tubing (and black!), and as temperature goes up the tubing gets softer. (UV degradation unlikely, as black tubing is usually recommended for outdoor applications).

Anybody know who makes the tubing? Parker?

Bamakx
07-17-2003, 10:11 AM
There are several companies that make the tubing but they will tell you it is not for the pressures you will be running in mags. I can run it on my matrix with no problem but it is only seeing 170-190 psi.

68magOwner
07-17-2003, 02:33 PM
i had my macro burst on me twice...in one day....in the same hour! the only advice is not to buy the cheapest macro ever like me, get some quality stuff, tunaman i hear has really good macro

Pete02019
07-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by smee
haha, i might be willing to switch to the braided crap and just wrap some black electrical tape around it...

what about heat-shrink tubing?

Also, is Tunaman a manufacturer, a distributor or a person? Got a link?

Tunaman
07-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Indeed putting your maker in direct sunlight will work like sunburn and degrade the line. The Parker Macroline is UV stable in Black only. Colors are not. So some of you guys ought to toss a rag over your gun when it is sitting in direct sunlight.