PDA

View Full Version : Flatline filling problems using a scuba tank.

DirkVictor
07-16-2003, 02:29 AM
I am having a couple of problems filling a friends 68/30 Flatline tank with my scuba tank. The scuba tank is 3000 psi 80 cfu tank with a CMI scuba yoke fill station and I have filled a number of different tanks without a problem. The first problem was that the fill nipple on the flatline tank didn't fit the quick disconnect on the fill station (a problem others have reported in other threads). I switched the female quick disconnect on the fill station with a quick disconnect from a remote and it works fine.

I filled up his tank to about 2500 psi, turned of the scuba tank valve and started to bleed the fill station. However, the check valve inside the fill nipple on the tank never closed and I couldn't get the tank off the fill station. I had to bleed out his tank so I could disconnect the tank from the fill station. I tried it again filling the tank more slowly (about 500 psi every 2 minutes about twice as slow as the first time). Same thing, the check valve wouldn't close when I tried to bleed the fill station. This time I got the tank off with about 1000 psi in it but the o-ring from the fill station got torn off.

Being stubborn I tried a third time after replacing the blown o-ring. Same thing happened. I tried turning the tanks on/off valve before and after bleeding and it didn't help. The tank is on a bushmaster and I tried shooting it a couple of times, but it still didn't help. Finally I tried turning the bleed valve on and off 3 or 4 times quickly and the check valve finally closed and I ended up with around 2200 psi in the tank (which by this time was about the pressure in my scuba tank).

So is there some trick to filling the flatline tank? Or does it sound like there is a problem with check valve? As far I know the local paintball shop doesn't have a problem filling this tank. I can go ahead and turn the bleed valve on and off, but it is a waste of air and lowers the fill in the tank. Also, I am a bit concerned that this is a sign that the check valve is going bad.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DirkVictor

By the way I just got my first mag a couple of months ago and this is my first post.

My Mag
Chrome Minimag
Double trigger
Pure Energy 68cu 3000 psi nitrogen tank.
Shocktech drop forward.
Gas-thru grip and microline.
Brass 8 inch speed ball barrel.
12 inch SP All American barrel.
14 inch stainless Taso pro-series barrel.
Foamie and foamieless bolts

redlaser666
07-16-2003, 03:05 AM
Welcome to AO.
The problem you are having is that the air trapped in between the scuba valve and the tanks valve is large and can't escape fast enough to seal the fill nipple seal. Your best option is to open the bleed as fast as posible so all air can escape like you did the last time. It is not a sign of the check valve going bad (it has happened to me and it is still working after more than a year).
Hope that helps.

DirkVictor
07-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Thanks, That is good to hear. I appreciate the fast response. Not only are the people on hear a great help but they never seem to sleep.

DirkVictor