PDA

View Full Version : Reannoing...XMAGS, Tom need a Response

ICOM
07-17-2003, 12:36 AM
Ok well... If i wanted to reanno a xmag would there be any problem doing so? Some of the body isnt annoed and needs to be. So stripping it and doing another different color anno be a problem? Please fill me in.

e mag
07-17-2003, 12:44 AM
there is a steel ring inside the body to reinforce where the bolt contacts (i think) which has to be removed, and i hear it is hard to get out.

Cryer
07-17-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by e mag
there is a steel ring inside the body to reinforce where the bolt contacts (i think) which has to be removed, and i hear it is hard to get out.

I know the PTP MIcromags are like that, but are the Xmags, too?

dcmander
07-17-2003, 03:05 AM
I know you can plug micromag bodies and then annodize them. I'm not sure about Xmags. I've heard they have steel rings in them... I actually hope they do.

S.S Bandit1
07-17-2003, 03:14 AM
I too am considering annodizing my new xmag. Many people have been telling me about how hard it is to remove the steal ring in the gun. It can be annoed as long as this is done. I'm not sure how many people have done this but I know one other user did it on his sfl. I was also told that AGD wont take it out for you because its not ment to come out. (at least not easily)

Check out my thread to see what other users have told me:
MY XMAG (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92278) This might help you.

Also, my friend thinks that I could nickle plate my xmag without removing the ring becuase it wouldnt effect this process. If anyone knows if that is correct please let me know...

cledford
07-17-2003, 06:56 AM
The problem with annoing is that each time it is done the anno process removes material and in your case the old anno would have to be stripped as well removing even more. The mag is extremely well made and requires very these very tight tolerances be maintained to function reliably. It is my understanding that due to variables in who does the stripping/reannoing process more or less material is removed and it is impossible to say ahead of time if the impact will be minimal or major - in either case it will affect the timing of the marker.

No offense, but what is up with the re-anno craze anyhow? Why not just get the color you want, or trade with someone else? I'd be VERY hesitant to screw up a $1400 dollar marker just because I got tired of the color it came in.

Anyhow, Tom does not make arbitrary rules - you can be CERTAIN that he does not support re-annoed markers because the likelihood of them having problems is very high.

-Calvin

cphilip
07-17-2003, 07:39 AM
I agree with Cledford. Impossible for someone to tell you it would or would not. Depends on how much stripping and polishing they would do. Tolerances are important on the Mags. Its thier "timing" and within a limit you can adjust them but outside of that limit your gonna have trouble doing so.

sbpyro
07-17-2003, 07:41 AM
during the etching stage of anno a part a very thin layer is removed (I believe this is the aluminum oxide layer, which is the protective layer over the aluminum). During the process the aluminum part is the anode and a steel cathode is placed in acid bath and the anodizing process starts forming another layer of aluminum oxide which will take on color.

The problem I can see is that the steel is in contact with the aluminum and that can cause a layer of oxide build up that is unwanted near the steel ring. (from previous experience of sending an aluminum plate with steel pins to be anno'd) Creates hard to remove splater on plate.

So don't do it unless you can remove the ring.
Also are we sure that it is a steel ring. I guess there are two ways of building the tube (based off my memory of the clssic body) buy tube and join with ring (weld, pressfit etc) or drill out stock from both sides ( can cause something to be offcentered).

cphilip
07-17-2003, 07:54 AM
There is a Steel ring and it has to be removed. I don't think its a real pain to do though. If you know what your doing. The AGD rings are easier to remove than the ones in the PTP bodies I hear.

fire1811
07-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
There is a Steel ring and it has to be removed. I don't think its a real pain to do though. If you know what your doing. The AGD rings are easier to remove than the ones in the PTP bodies I hear.

oh oh let me tell you they are a major pain
the steel ring is not pressed in the xmag body it is threaded. then they put industrial strenght locktite on it. now they put a set screw in the bottom of the body to give the ring a little extra holding power. the set screw is also industrial locktited in.

i went though this phase of wanting mine reannodized. well lets just say its still the same sexy black now

hell i boiled my body for 20min to try to loosen the locktite a bit. no go i broke the allen trying to get the set screw out.

but if you can get the set screw out and do want to get it reannodized the best way i have heard to get the ring out is to boil the body and then take a 6-7in half threaded bolt
put a nut on it. slide it into the back of the body, then but the nut on the other end(in the breech) this will make a "jacking" bolt for ya.

i called agd for help on this and they told me that they are not made to come out after they are put in so leave it alone. i think i will do just that since xmag bodies arent just sitting around a agd for me to order another if i mess it up.

GOOD LUCK

curt

jeffremiller
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
I reanno'd my SFL twice... due to several reasons.

It's a beautiful purple now and still shoots fine. All threads still thread and such as well.

The hard part is the steel ring. Boiling and jack bolt is the only way to get it without destroying the thing. And I definitely advise against destroying the current one. AGD doesn't sell them.

I guess in summary: It's a risk. I see that part of the equation but it's a risk that I was forced to take and it worked out for me.

J_

madmatt151
07-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Wasn't there a thread where someone annodized a body with the ring and they didn't remove the ring. THey filled in the body with silicone of some other material. I'm not sure, but search for it.

fire1811
07-17-2003, 01:40 PM
yes that was with a micromag i believe
but with the xmags removable breech that would be a bit more complicated

Lohman446
07-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Does anyone else notice that most problems with AGD products releases is "its at the annodizer, failed annodizer, ... annodizer" - I doubt they use a poor quality annodizer, I expect tolerances are so tight on this thing that many many annodization jobs fail... just a thought

Star_Base_CGI
07-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Lohman446
Does anyone else notice that most problems with AGD products releases is "its at the annodizer, failed annodizer, ... annodizer" - I doubt they use a poor quality annodizer, I expect tolerances are so tight on this thing that many many annodization jobs fail... just a thought

They do. Tom said last week the power feed ULEs failed Anno.