PDA

View Full Version : Bad Service in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

SlartyBartFast
07-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, attempting to purchase AGD products in Montreal is a bust.
Now my experiences were while the buy an AGD marker get a free warp deal was on. I went to two stores, T2 paintball and Arnold paintball.
Service at T2 was less than inviting, felt like I was interupting the guys day or something. Had to repeat myself so that sales person knew I was asking about an Automag/AGD product. Got a clueless stare and disinterest when I asked about the AGD speacial. After pressing the issue to see if it was even possible to order AGD markers, I recieved a disinterested "I could ask the distributer, but it will take a while." Also something stupid about the distributer comes there, they don't call in orders so I'd have to wait until I could even know about pricing and availability. Seemed to have no interest in talking to me about what equipment or packages they might suggest to me otherwise, seemed really put off when I asked to have one of the display markers taken down off the wall. Not my place to convince a business to sell me close to 1600$CAN in equipment, so I left less than impressed.
Service at Arnold's was initially inviting. Once finished with the current customer the salesperson (Ken) was warm, good natured, and inviting. Knew what a mag was and actually tried to call a distributer/contact about the special and availability. His contact was not available, so he promissed to find out and call me back. Took down my phone number and the information about what I wanted. Promissed he'd call the next day. Friendly discussion ensued with boasting of his knowing Jon at AGD from way back when he took the tech course, he loved mags, had an RT in back being serviced, blah, blah. Then had to restrain contemp as he went on to say how if you want to get the range you buy a cocker, that the Automag is a fine gun it's just unfortunate the dropoff and feel is like shooting a spyder. Phh.
So I wait. After two days no news, so I go to the store. A girl behind the counter informs me Ken is out of town and won't be back for a couple of days. Meaning it's impossible for him to get back to me before the end of the promotion. :mad:
So I leave my name, number, and what I'm looking for once again. I say AUTOMAG RTPRO with WARP DRIVE she writes down automatique rt warp. I clarify what I want, saying I'm looking for an Air Gun Designs RTPro with a warp drive. She replies "Uh, huh." and gives me the impression of "That's what I wrote stupid, I heard you the first time.
Two days later Ken phones me at home in the morning. The conversation lasts 10 seconds. Besides asking for me, Ken's only discourse is 'That Automatic warp RT, Not getting it in stock.' Not impressed I say 'okayy..' trying to compose my question as to what happened after the earlier promises and how to politely correct him as to what I'm looking to buy. He hangs up before I manage to say anything else. :mad:

I am NOT spending the amount of cash that it will take to get an RTPro, Warp, HaloB, and Tank with such ingrates and poor service! The only other Montreal option I know about is Action Commando Paintball. But last time I went there they seemed prepared to only order me equipment out of a distributors catalog and charge me full MSRP. Nothing in stock, no haggling, no package deals. I've had SMT Adventures recommended to me, and I might just go there. I suppose it's not too far a drive from Montreal. Still I find it rediculous that the salesmanship of these stores is so poor considering the value of the merchandise they're trying to sell. SMTs prices put the package I want at close to 1600$CAN. Which if you consider the paintballgear price of 1004.19$US (approx 1544.90$CAN) before shipping for the same thing that's not bad.

So, how do you become an AGD technician and salesrep? I certainly couldn't do any worse than the so called proffesionals around here presently.

SG Avenger
07-17-2003, 03:32 PM
That situation totaly bites. I feel for ya. I'm not totaly aware of that promotion, but, I would assume normaly when a company offers that kind of deal, you would have to order from them?

about 75% of the time in my experience, when you go to a store, and ask about a marker that the sales rep currently is not using personal, you get the cold shoulder.

Duke Henry
07-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about it for sure, too many places nowadays just subscribe to "mags are so out of date" crap it makes me sick.

One of the reaons I am glad my sponsor is one of the few official AGD dealers in Canada. No middle men, they order through AGD direct.

Keep up the search, you will find good service, it is out there!

cphilip
07-17-2003, 05:26 PM
We had a Canadiam memeber post a Canadian Dealer that was honoring and doing the special. I even refered several people to him. It was posted in Dealers forum. You should have checked there.

Jeffy-CanCon
07-17-2003, 09:59 PM
I'd agree with SG Avenger, that I'd expect to have to go direct to AGD to get the promotional deal.

But since you are looking around local stores, try the Pro-Shop at PaintStorm Indoor in Ottawa (paintstorm.ca). They are starting to get more Mag stuff lately, supposed to become an AGD dealer. I have always found the owner very good about ordering stuff, and giving a fair price.

cphilip
07-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Well you Canadians need to be aware that Duke Henry already reported a AGD friendly dealer in Canada. And one that was willing to do the June deal. And he reported it in Dealers forum. It was a simple search for me to find it now. And I will post the link for you. The way I see it you should use this place as THEY are willing to be at one with AGD! USE THEM!

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86122&highlight=Canada

See?

Duke Henry
07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
If I would have known of any others actively participating in that great deal, I would have posted them too.

Since we are no longer in June though, I don't know if the deal is still running.

You can always try an email to find out.

Hope you have the best of luck!

Thanks

slushee
07-17-2003, 11:05 PM
ummmm ... canada isn't AGD friendly I'm afraid..

I really don't know what to say except, "Now you know what we are going through"

;)

SlartyBartFast
07-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Well, thanks for the support guys. I'll check out the Ottawa store. Think Ottawa and Smith Falls are about equal distances from Montreal, so I could drive to either.

I saw the Canadian dealer listed in the dealer forum, but their deal wasn't that great. The Warp+RTPro price was just the same as if you bought them seperately. Plus, they're in Winnipeg (?) so shipping and support becomes an issue.

For those that weren't aware of the deal, you had to buy from any AGD dealer that ordered directly from AGD.

Once I cash the pension savings from my old Canadian Tire job, I'll be off to buy equipment. I worked there during college and university and had forgot all about the 300$ they put in a fund for me. Well, now it's worth a whole lot more. :) It was a windfall I didn't know I had, so I figure I may as well use it. I have plenty going to savings from my real job now.

My next concern is whether I become a member or not at any of the Montreal extablishments. They all want about 150$/yr. Thing is I don't know what their players are like. Guess I'll just play walk-on for a while to get a feel.

Strider
07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
The problem in Canada is that most of the distributers aren't carrying AGD. So no mass purchases. Most stores/pro-shops don't buy direct from the manufacturer, but make use of the distributers. It's the way it works. :)

So finding a store that can't order you an AGD product isn't that uncommon up here. However, that is changing, slowly.

I'd call ahead to any store your planning on visiting. We (SMT) do have a dealership with AGD, but don't tend to carry much in stock when it comes to AGD markers and Warps. (Though this is for sale in the Used Forum (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89286)) But we'd be happy to place an order...

As for becomming a member at the field, I'd go out and hang with them for a while. I'm sure they're nice places. The AGD fanbase is very low in that area, the revolution is starting, but it's not quite there yet. ;)

Duke Henry
07-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
I saw the Canadian dealer listed in the dealer forum, but their deal wasn't that great. The Warp+RTPro price was just the same as if you bought them seperately. Plus, they're in Winnipeg (?) so shipping and support becomes an issue.

Well, if memory serves me correctly, they offer lifetime warranty on any gun they sell labour-wise. Parts, according to manfucaturer's warranty. As far as price goes, I would have emailed them to find out the current price, as I said their site isn't always up-to-the-minute correct. However, I did check their site, and the prices are at most 99 bucks more than other online stores (for the emag for instance), but considering you get the free warp, it is still much cheaper than most stores, and you don't have to worry about customs costs, etc. etc.

Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
Once I cash the pension savings from my old Canadian Tire job, I'll be off to buy equipment. I worked there during college and university and had forgot all about the 300$ they put in a fund for me. Well, now it's worth a whole lot more. :) It was a windfall I didn't know I had, so I figure I may as well use it. I have plenty going to savings from my real job now.

Funny thing is that when I quit working at CT a few years ago (I worked there for about 3 years), I got a nice cheque from them too, which was unexpected. I think it was around $1000. To make a long story short, I think I dumped it into an RRSP (to avoid paying taxes on that income), but that would have been sweet to buy new gear at the time!

SlartyBartFast
07-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I'd call ahead to any store your planning on visiting. We (SMT) do have a dealership with AGD, but don't tend to carry much in stock when it comes to AGD markers and Warps. (Though this is for sale in the Used Forum (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89286)) But we'd be happy to place an order...

The only reason I just stopped in the Montreal stores is because on is 10 minutes from my house and I was passing by the other one. I’m not quite stupid enough to drive 3 hrs without good reason.

Unfortunately, I’m not looking for a centerfeed, but how much for that marker with the X-Valve in Canadian dollars? 530$US is a little steep. Paintballgear sells them for 539$US.

Originally posted by Duke Henry
Well, if memory serves me correctly, they offer lifetime warranty on any gun they sell labour-wise. Parts, according to manfucaturer's warranty.

Lifetime warranty sounds nice, but I think shipping it back and forth to Winnipeg would cost more than the labour. And I expect to be able to deal with most problems myself. Seeing as I write maintenance manuals for rail transit vehicles for a living, I doubt the Mag (or any other marker) holds too many dark secrets.

As far as price goes, I would have emailed them to find out the current price, as I said their site isn't always up-to-the-minute correct. However, I did check their site, and the prices are at most 99 bucks more than other online stores (for the emag for instance), but considering you get the free warp, it is still much cheaper than most stores, and you don't have to worry about customs costs, etc. etc.

Well, perhaps I will E-mail them for a complete price quote. But when I checked, their site was literally screaming out the deal, so I assumed the price was right. And that price was MORE than purchasing the RTPro and Warp separately from SMT according to their website prices. Add to it that I can at least drive to Smith Falls (3hrs though), from Winnipeg I’ll probably get soaked for shipping. :(

I actually wouldn’t have minded paying more at a local store, but once I have to go out of my way or purchase mail order I’m strictly a lowest package price wins guy.

Funny thing is that when I quit working at CT a few years ago (I worked there for about 3 years), I got a nice cheque from them too, which was unexpected. I think it was around $1000. To make a long story short, I think I dumped it into an RRSP (to avoid paying taxes on that income), but that would have been sweet to buy new gear at the time!

My money was actually put in a fund my second year working there (only 300$). Many years later (a few months ago) I get a letter at my parents house with an account statement in it. Woo Hoo! Enough for a complete setup AND a lot of playing. :D

While I don’t think I could ever stand working there again, it wasn’t so bad. It was great being more intelligent than your supervisors and good enough at your job to be able to tell THEM when they were out of line.:p The first years were the absolute best as employee purchase price was cost+10%. Now THAT was sweet. Owner even gave us store gift certificates and opened the store after hours to all family and invited guests at Christmas.

BTW when I cash this RRSP and buy the equipment it will be the first marker I’ve ever owned. Figure I may as well start at the top. :cool:

Eric Cartman
07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
For what it's worth Slarty http://www.unlikelyheroes.ca/ in Ottawa seems to have a lot of AGD products. The place I buy a lot of stuff from is in Toronto http://www.premiumpaintballproducts.com/site/promotion.asp
They don't list Mags on their site, but they do sell them as well as the x Valve (375.00 CDN) and the ULE Body (250.00 CDN)

I hope you can find what you're looking for. Getting the gear you want in Cabada can be a real pain in the but.

Cheers.

Strider
07-18-2003, 03:30 PM
I've sent you a Private message regarding the RT...

Furious333
07-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Well i bought my Mag (Classic) from PBL ( proshop next to T2) and i had to wait about 5 weeks tto get it,seems they ordered it directly from AGD and had to open an account, i paid it 415$ ( canadian of course) = taxes and i got a good service from the sales Manager Phil, when you got ot PBL try to ask for Phil or Brandon they are always nice to me and give me good prices even though i might be an Alien from another planet because i have a Mag. :)

Seems PBL is having going to merge with National Paintball supplies and they have to put special orders on hold for about 2-3 weeks. My friend went last week to get info on a Mag and the sale clerk ( a newbie ) didnt help him much with his choice and implied the merger as the reason he couldnt order one for him.

Well i ALWAYS get great service from PBL, next time you go make sure to talk to Phil or Brandon and go informed about what others are selling the item you buy at , then mention you can get it cheaper at this or that place and they will match the price.

BTW: i dont recommend ordering somthing from Unlikely heroes.. i heard to many horror stories about having your credit card billed when you pass the order while you wait months to get your order...