PDA

View Full Version : I shot an '03 Shocker today

Curly
07-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Darryl Trent of All Americans fame came by our shop today to visit. He happened to bring along his new shocker. The gun is incredibly light and small. Its an open bolt design with a delrin bolt. The gun is comfortable to hold and the trigger feels really nice. The one that he had was non vision but he said that vision would be coming on the production models for 100 bucks more. The gun was very fast. The way the trigger was set up I could easily walk it at 15-16 bps. Its a small compact gun with no moving parts on the outside, much like a mag or a matrix. For the size, weight and msrp of 850 (for non vision) I would have to say this might be the next big thing. Unfortunatly I didnt really pay attention to the efficiency so Im not sure how it was.

Animal Mother
07-18-2003, 12:59 AM
I'm in Stockton... I am on my way dude.

hehehe

M-a-s-sDriver
07-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Thank God...anything but a Timmy.
Brent Jackson

SlipknotX556
07-18-2003, 01:26 AM
Havent seen the 03 shockers in person yet, but I hope to see one on wenesday, Strange is hopefully practicing that day :)

wobbles82
07-18-2003, 01:50 AM
"Hey Daryll look at that blemish...lemme...em...go in the back and get that out with some Windex or something" *runs out back door and you hear car start up* :D ...I have too much time on my hands. :p

Mook564
07-18-2003, 02:38 AM
How was it on the recoil factor.

cockersuk14
07-18-2003, 02:42 AM
i have said it before and im gonna say it again who actually knows when this thing is gonna come out?

cledford
07-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Who really cares when they come out? Now that they are an open bolt gun what is the real diff between the shocker and an Impulse or Nerve? Not that closed bolt was more accurate as SP claimed - but that was the heart of the Shocker. Now it's gone - what's left? A spool valve? Has anyone EVER got those to run efficiently? (cough, shocker, matrix - both gas hogs...)
The SP line is turning into the spider series - bunch of guns that all look and operate the same, with a different name per color.

-Calvin

dansim
07-18-2003, 08:08 AM
im sorry but the new shocker looks nothing like the rest of their guns i personally cant wait for them to come out

Curly
07-18-2003, 08:18 AM
cockersuk14: From what Darryl said, expect them in 3-6 weeks.

Cledford: While your correct that the impulse and the 03 shocker are both open bolt, they are in fact very different guns. The impulse is a stacked tube gun that operates very differently then the single tube shocker.

It is possible to make spool valve guns efficient as shown by the new Freeflow matrix bolt, using this bolt, people are getting close to 2000 shots off a 68/45.

If you want to complain about sp turning into kingman (which is incredibly close-minded) then look at AGD. Notice, how unlike smart parts (whose guns operate differently) the Xmag and Emag are the exact same gun. Im not saying that this is a bad thing, but you cannot complain about one manufacturer for having new designs and then praise another one. Be consistent or it makes you look biased and people will ignore you.

Im not trying to start a flame war or insult you or anything. Im just trying to point out something that I notice happening here a lot.

-Jeremy

GatoLoco
07-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by cledford
Who really cares when they come out? Now that they are an open bolt gun what is the real diff between the shocker and an Impulse or Nerve? Not that closed bolt was more accurate as SP claimed - but that was the heart of the Shocker. Now it's gone - what's left? A spool valve? Has anyone EVER got those to run efficiently? (cough, shocker, matrix - both gas hogs...)
The SP line is turning into the spider series - bunch of guns that all look and operate the same, with a different name per color.

-Calvin

Freeflow has an excellent mod for matrices http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244794&highlight=holy+crap

ASDadam
07-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Ummm...Guys? The new shocker is still CLOSED BOLT. This of course is according the Smart Parts website giving the info on the new shocker.

Mr Pink
07-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Really? then the Shocker'03's at Toulouse must have been fake - they sure as hell were open bolt there:rolleyes:

AGD
07-18-2003, 12:28 PM
More scoop, the guy who designed the new shocker (and did not work for smart parts at the time) came by the booth with the gun and introduced himself. Turns out he is a long time mag fan and wanted to meet me.

He is a very nice guy and he let me shoot the gun. Very nice and zero kick. When you look down the feed neck you can see the breach. Fire the gun and the bolt cycles forward, shoots and cycles back. When I asked him if it was open or closed bolt he hesitated and said "hybrid". In fact it sure looks like an open bolt to me.

I'm sure the gun will be a big hit.

AGD

SIGSays
07-18-2003, 12:46 PM
dman it... i thought msrp would be higher than 850.. and price is always cheaper than msrp.. damn i should of waited and got this when it came out

fire1811
07-18-2003, 12:51 PM
yeah it sure looked like open bolt to me
i really didnt think it was too light either

another thing i didnt like was when you shot it i thought it felt kind of cheap
cheap as in you could feel the parts moving inside of
the body.....get what im saying??
ah well maybe it was just me.

all in all they did a good job though i wouldnt mind having one actually.

oh and it does rip some freggin paint

Pand0ra
07-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ASDadam
Ummm...Guys? The new shocker is still CLOSED BOLT. This of course is according the Smart Parts website giving the info on the new shocker.

Definitely open bolt (as seen in Toulouse). The website is wrong. One of the SP tech told me the max ROF in closed bolt was 10 bps, so they went to the open bolt, which reachs 18bps.

Looks like the efficiency of the new shocker is low, around 1000 shots with a 68ci/4500 psi (that's what the teams shooting the shocker at Toulouse found).

Other than that, the design is very nice, the shocker is extremely light and easy to shoot fast, but is fater than what the pics shows, and the front grip is a bit too close to the trigger guard for my taste.

@++

QUINCYMASSGUY
07-18-2003, 01:06 PM
OK, I think we know it's open bolt now, but what type of bolt mechanism is it, ie blowback, blowforward, some new mechanism for cycling? I don't see any pins to pull the bolt back but that doesn't mean it can't just fire like a matrix. So anyone have an idea of this? However if it uses a spring or other device other than the air to reset the bolt that could be interesting. If it looks like a mag and shoots like a Mag.... we have the 2003 Smartmag, lol.

McSweedish
07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Smart Parts sucks.

Rmarks
07-18-2003, 03:20 PM
I can't wait to try one of them out. If I like it, I could see it being my next marker.

Originally posted by McSweedish
Smart Parts sucks.

Always somebody with a well thought out post. :rolleyes:

i like tictacs
07-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Theres no way the max a closed bolt gun can fire is ten bps.

Ov3rmind
07-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by i like tictacs
Well, I think we all know closed bolt guns can cycle much faster than that. I'm thinking maybe the changes that were required to make the 03 closed bolt might have slowed down it's rof as a side effect.

FutureMagOwner
07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by i like tictacs

well if you work hard enough at it i suppose it could happen remember tictacs its smart parts(its fallout from pbreview :) )