PDA

View Full Version : Are we Entering a new Era of High End Guns?

Ov3rmind
07-21-2003, 04:29 AM
One thing I've noticed, is that there are a lot of new high end guns coming out this year. Let me take a moment to run down a few of them.

03 Shocker (SP)
Nerve (SP)
Advent (OTB)
Isis (Powerlyte)
DYE Matrixes
Alien

Notice that a new common trend seems to revolve around single tubed and possibly spool valve based guns (one gun doesn't even use a bolt). It seems like many companies are abandoning the tried and true electropneumatic ram/bolt design (finally). A few are boasting unheard of light weight and extremely low kick. Personally, I think the days of the Angel, Timmy, and many other guns of the same design may be numbered. It's almost as if companies are starting to try and phase out the good 'ol ram/bolt stacked tube electros. Almost makes you think, was the Matrix a gun ahead of it's time? Maybe this time next year, 03 Shockers and Nerves will be the would be Timmys, and Advents and DYE Trixes will be the would be Imps. Undoubtedly some of these guns will flop, but I'm also pretty sure some are going to be doing very well in the high end market. Then of course I could be wrong, maybe all of these new guns will fail (though I doubt it).

I know that Timmys, Angels, and other guns of the same design will still probably stick around for a while, but will not remain the top dogs for much longer. Also putting this in perspective, looking through out paintball history at the progression of gun technology, it seems the Mag has created it's own little niche. Although it hasn't been wildly popular for a while, there will always be a group of secluded players who uses them.

Overall, I'm just saying there are a lot of new ideas and designs coming to fruition (it seems more than in the past few years). Many of which I feel may make the current design of choice start to become a little behind the times.

Thoughts?

Ov3rmind
07-21-2003, 04:40 AM
Oh yeah, just as a side note: I don't dislike ram/bolts, I'm actually a huge fan of the Angel and Vikings. It's just that enough is enough, many of these newer designs may have a lot to offer and may be quite capable of performing much higher in areas ram/bolts can't. The Matrix has already shown some unique aspects that place it above other markers in some areas.

Oh yes, and I know a lot of you are going to scream, "It's all hype!". Some of it is, no doubt, but a lot of it is not. Companies have no where to move but forward as far as gun technology, that's how you stay ahead of the pack. And I feel it's getting to the point where the same old design isn't going going to stay ahead of the pack for too much longer.

Lohman446
07-21-2003, 06:10 AM
It all comes down to, what is the new goal in marker design. We can already outshoot hoppers so speed shouldn't (notice the word shouldn't) be the goal. What do we aspire to in our new markers - less weight (maybe, I kinda like a well balanced/slightly heavy gun), more efficiency (never hurts - I personally don't need it). Accuracy - how many times have we shown that to be paint/barrel match.

My question, if you were to sit down to design a gun today, what would your goals for that project be?

spydervenom
07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
bob long is coming out with a new gun too. there isn't any info on them so far really though.

robertjuric
07-21-2003, 09:13 AM
ya, but to get those guns main stream, you have to talk a pro team into using them, so all the little kiddies will buy em. ;)

minnimag
07-21-2003, 09:25 AM
does anyone else seem to think that the '03 shocker looks a little like an e-mag?

Python14
07-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by minnimag
does anyone else seem to think that the '03 shocker looks a little like an e-mag?

OMG, No one has ever noticed that before......;) :p

I think it does resemble it, but in the same way an older shocker resembles a brick with a pipe sticking out of it.

To address the topic though, I think we entered said "new age" when the Ironmen switched to Matrices. For a team who always used the tried and true(Autocockers and Angels), it came to much shock to me for them to switch to a gun that really had not had much time on the field. Image had been the only real team before to use it, and we saw what happened there. In all seriousness though, I think we are seeing a new age of markers, thats not to say the older age of angels and stacked tube ram/bolts is really moving anywhere other than up. More and more players enter the high end scene and therefore there are more and more open spots for electros to fill up.

GT
07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
was the Matrix a gun ahead of it's time?

I thought the orginal shocker was?

SIGSays
07-21-2003, 10:35 AM
DYE Matrixes
Alien

aren't these just regular guns..??

and the alien is some fancy milling if you talking about the alien timmy...

irbodden
07-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by SIGSays
DYE Matrixes
Alien

He it talking about the Alien gun, it's some goofy one.. check out PBN for pics and specs...

JEDI
07-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Python14

Image had been the only real team before to use it, and we saw what happened there.

Yeah, we saw most of Image become what is now Trauma. Trauma ripped it up in the Amature scene, and then became pro. Seems like a pretty good thing to me. What does that have to do with using a Matrix? :D I think the Matrix, and specifically the Freeflow Trauma Matrix, stands to be one of the nicest guns out there.

adam shannon
07-21-2003, 11:32 AM
i shot that new alien. it looks wierd, shoots good, how it works??? i didnt ask. the one thing i saw that i was currious about is that trap door feed thing. its 2 flat pieces of aluminum that rub against eachother...the one i shot already had worn off the anno on those parts. i will wait and see the maintenance issues before i pass judgement.

Ov3rmind
07-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SIGSays
DYE Matrixes
Alien

The Matrix functions different than any other gun available, how is that regular? The Alien (not the Timmy) doesn't even use a bolt, it's not even close to regular.

XVFrontplayer
07-21-2003, 10:58 PM
yeah w/ all these new markers if you bought one the next week some other gun will come out that is fitty times better and cheaper:(

so i will stick with my mag:p

what needs to happen is a hopper that can do over 20bps,like into uper 20s and thirty.

and yesboycot smartparts

JEDI
07-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Wait, why are we boycotting SmartParts?

Thordic
07-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Just the company, not the women :)

And the Alien gun has potential. The one at IAO was capped at 13 BPS and had a non-adjustable trigger, and still felt REALLY nice. The production model will not have a BPS cap and will have a 3-point adjustable trigger.

True, its ugly, but it shoots really nice. And anyone worried about the trapdoor cutting balls need not worry, it stops on your finger VERY lightly.

Clockwork_Orange
07-22-2003, 09:03 AM
The Alien looks like ET with a cigar in his mouth.

P4ULuk
07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
In which way are any of the markers mentioned superior to the Viking?
Just curious :)

Cheers,

Paul
:)