PDA

View Full Version : nitro

milestones
07-22-2003, 12:18 AM
i have a mini mag with exp. chamber and bottom line.. if i wanted to use nitro on it, would i just need to screw it in and ill be set, or are there any addition items i may need to purchase/install/modify? (i r newb =/)

Z-man
07-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Although I have never seen it happen, I have been told repeatedly that you do not want to use an expansion chamber with HPA. Unlike CO2, it's coming out at 800+ psi and can rupture or damage the expansion chamber.

You can simply swap it out for a gas through foregrip for very little and begin enjoying the Mag on REAL juice. Other than that, the setup is fine.

milestones
07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
thats too bad, i love my expansion chamber..
is anyone for sure on getting rid of the exp. chamber for a foregrip?

deadeye9
07-22-2003, 11:29 AM
From Warpig:

"As long as there is liquid in the tank, the pressure in a CO2 tank is determined ONLY by the temperature. At room temperature (70 degrees F) its about 853 psi."

About the same as HPA. You can leave your expansion chamber hooked up with any damage to it. Whether it will help or hurt the performance of the gun is a debatable question. Some say the expansion chamber creates a resevoir that helps prevent shoot down, while other claim it impedes the flow rate.

ashriel28
07-22-2003, 11:47 AM
You might want to get a parts kit and swap out the o-rings and reg seat on your valve. Probably not neccesary since you use an expansion chamber. But it's probably not a bad idea.

Also, from the Airgun.com FAQ's...

I'm going to start using Nitrogen with my AUTOMAG instead of CO2. Do I need to change anything on my AUTOMAG?

You might need to purchase a new Regulator Piston Assembly and, if your Automag has a serial number lower than 28500, you might also need to purchase a new Spring Pack. Call our Tech Support department at (847) 520-7225 if you'd like more information about this.

Since you're on a minimag, i doubt this applies though. Depends on when you got it.

milestones
07-22-2003, 12:31 PM
You can leave your expansion chamber hooked up with any damage to it.

i really dont want to be running on damaged material that may hurt after market or performance of the gun. and is that to say that hooking up nitro with the exp. chamber on will indeed damage it?

Whether it will help or hurt the performance of the gun is a debatable question

can i get more input on whether or not doing this will help at all, or hurt at all the performance of my gun? so far im leaning towards getting a gas thru.

xmetal2001
07-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Running an expansion chamber will not hurt nor increase your performance. It will act as a gasthrough, just uglier and bigger.

deadeye9
07-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Nitro will not damage the expansion chamber.

milestones
07-22-2003, 10:29 PM
thats good to hear, thanks.. but in rebuttle to your comment xmetal.. i think i have a very attractive expansion chamber.. thanks for the help
to confirm this beyond a doubt, why is it that people said that nitro would damage the expansion chamber?

Z-man
07-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Perhpas it's one of those "urban ledgends". As I said, I have never seen it happen and in fact I had a friend use one with HPA all day (I did not noticed) without so much as a leak. Perhase also in the earlier days when the sport was not as big, the stuff as not made with as high standards? I don't know but I guess of you're certain about the saftey (perhaps call the manufacturer?) go ahead. Not haveing to buy anything is better off anyway.

mark_426
07-23-2003, 08:53 AM
i aired up a co2 tank just to look, and a full 20oz was coming in at 1000 psi. i dont know if it does affect flow or not, but just try it and see if it starves the marker.