PDA

View Full Version : Back players

truss
07-22-2003, 02:54 PM
a few friends and i are going to be starting a team.i need some help in picking out a gun.what do you guys use?thanks for any help.

Johnny_Reb
07-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Whats this have to do with back players? I guess your a backplayer a need a gun right?

Its all personal prefrence man. Which one do YOU like? Which one fits you best? Id recommend hanging around your local field and shooting everything you can to see what you like best.

Spaceman613
07-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Efficient is good, you dont want to have to use a 88 or 114 tank just becaus ethe gun is a hog. But really, its all what you are comfortable with. I shoot a cocker, its what i am used to shooting. This helps me lay paint, snapshoot, lane, and whatever else i need to do.

Dont go to a new style of gun, or something that doesnt feel right, just because you think you need it. Go for comfort and hitting things will follow.

I stil lthink the most important tool for a backman is a timer. You need to communicate to your men 9and women), and this includes time. Be prepared to be hparse after a tourney, or a good practice.

Kellen_p8nt
07-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Its all a mater of preferance man. BUt I imagine everyone will tell you that. But ill tell ya what works for me since im back man.

Lightweight really doesn't matter in the back, I honestly prefer the extra weight.

Reactivity in the trigger is VERY nice, in a mag lvl10 is a must

A decent barrel would also help.

Consistent/air efficiency. DOnt want 10 rounds only going 12 feet.

Get a Big tank and a nice hopper and ball hualer.

Any gun works in the back but light triggers are nice.

For me its my X-valved Z-framed Mag "Patricia"

Deep Sixx
07-22-2003, 03:05 PM
I play back and shoot an Angel iR3 Fly (COPS2) with a Mac Dev Conquest 68/4500, 14" AA-tipped Freak and a 12v Rev.

Not exactly a typical "back" rig, but I love it and it's never let me down. I like it because it's VERY small, VERY light, VERY efficient and VERY fast... it's easy for me to switch hands and sides of the bunker with it. I've also played the position with Impulses (Vision and non-Vision), a 'Cocker (single trigger, non-electro), and an LCD. My current set-up is by far my favourite.

I would recommend that he try a few rigs before settling on one. As long as he can shoot it fast, consistantly and accurately and he's comfortable with it it'll be good.

sixx

truss
07-23-2003, 01:27 AM
back up to the top.thank you so far.i am trying to get advice from everybody.

Alux
07-23-2003, 08:10 AM
i say get a timmy, in fact someones selling in the forums :D

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93277

SlipknotX556
07-23-2003, 08:46 AM
I am a back man/mid man, but I play back better, my timmy has never let me down while playing both positions.

Get a timmy, they are great back man guns and all around guns.

Pvt.Opium
07-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Im with Kellen on this one. What you need is a marker that is cappable of great rates of fire ( assumng you are a back man) Weight in this case is not matter. Heres what i thinking...

Emag
LX
( X valve or not, weight isent the biggest factor in a backman, your preferance)

Kapp 3 Drop forward

Some kind of compressed air with a good reg. Mabey a Flatline 4500?

Loader that is quik enough for your BPS( Mabey HALO)

Warp isent as important but still plays a key. Really what you want though.

NJPaint
07-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Timmy is my personal preference

Torbo
07-23-2003, 10:51 AM
In general its YOU not the gun that matters. Try to shoot everything you can. Just find something you like. That said, in general playing back you will want something:

fast
consistant
efficient
+a good barrel

Speed, youre gonna want to lay down long consistant streams of paint, not quick bursts.

Consistancy and the barrel, means you hit what youre shooting at. simple, i guess

And efficiency, because you always want to use the smallest tank that gives you enough shots, Becuase a back needs to shoot ALOT of paint. And i doubt youre gonna want to use like a 88 or a 114 tank.

Hope this helps. Its not really that scientific, there alot of markers that work into those requirements. Adn thats just my experiance.

edit: Our teams backs shoot cockers. When i played back i did too.

LittlePaintballBoy
07-23-2003, 01:11 PM
i have to say xmag, but since those are on a major list, tey an emag or trix.

emag- fast, reliable (battery runs out, switch to mech. starts to rain, switch to mech) not too heavy. kinda gas hoggish.
trix- ff bolt mod, very good efficincey (sp?). fast, light, battery runs oput your screwed, i dont know theres more good thing on both, just cant think rite now.

Mutilus
07-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Like everyone else said it is personal preference, I use an Angel LCD with LPR or Mag (Xvalve, intelliframe, and ULE body) but I plan to use the Action markers Diadem when mine is finished being custom milled. I always have the Halo B on the gun because in the back position you tend to dump paint and it feeds fast enough for me, and I prefer the Freak with AA front for a barrel. Finally the tank is important becuase when properly regulated you get better efficiency and less breakage from over pressure, I have 4 different tanks and I have found that my AGD air tank works best. Cockers and I don't get along but many back players I know use cockers

1stdeadeye
07-23-2003, 03:58 PM
I play back and use a warped X-Mag with a revi and Crossfire 88/4500 tank.

You need to use whatever you are comfortable with. Long paintstreams are a must when you sweet spot, so whatever YOU shoot fast is what you should look to get!

BajaBoy
07-23-2003, 04:08 PM
timmy or emag would be my pick.. and i went emag

giblit
07-23-2003, 08:07 PM
i play back, front, and mid and i have a stock mag, with a pmi 88/3000 and i love it, ive owned 4 different guns and i love the mag the best, a lot of poeple say you need the rof, but in a way they are right but you gotta have the money to back it up. my experience when im playing back is use about 50 shots on the break then go to your bunker and lay some more paint for the mid players to move.

Splat
07-24-2003, 03:47 PM
well... Being a back player is more then just spraying a lot of paint down the lanes... Your in charge basically... You need to be able to keep them pinned down. You have to make sure that the other front players cant advance. And if they do, you need to see it and tell everyone on your team. Plus you'll want a fast gun because you WILL nees to spray. So I would suggest what every you can snap shoot well with, something small, light, with a quick trigger, so anything electric, I would suggest a timmy, imp, E-Mag or X-mag.

Nobody077
07-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Im a big guy(6'4" 225) so I play a lot of Back, Im now useing a RetroMag with a 114/4500 Raptor on a DZ3 drop. With the drop the Raptor is very compact for its size, it has the same profile as a 66ci behind the grip frame, this gives me plenty of air with a simi-tight setup
The real key is your comfort with the gun, I can easly shoot long, fast, steady strings and outshoot a 12v revy. I would suggest what ever gun you pick find a quiet barrel, yor main job playing back is talking to and relaying for your front players, If you cant hear them it makes things realy hard

paintball_junkie
07-24-2003, 05:43 PM
I play back and mid and my E-mag owrks great for me. IM gonna try a trix pretty soon, not sure which kind yet.

Off subject: littlepaintballboy I thought you said you were 11 and you have an X-mag?

Steelrat
07-24-2003, 06:01 PM
NO, he doesn't have an X-mag, but we've both touched one, does that count? :)

I'm a little shaky on my understanding of positons, but my understanding is that you want an efficient, fast gun for the back. Therefore my very biased vote is for the Viking.

paintball_junkie
07-24-2003, 06:08 PM
O sorry I read his post wrong and thouhgt he said I have an X-mag.

kba5011
07-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Jua get a trix...make sure u get a bolt kit an lpr of some sort an at least a 68/45 tank. This is what I use an its perfect.

elpimpo
07-24-2003, 07:00 PM
angel angel angel. they are and always will be the best gun for any position

Fuji
07-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Speed (ROF) and accuracy are important. I used to shoot a shocker. Just switched to an Emag. Also use a cocker. All were on a 90 cu in with micro drop forward. (A little heavier but tighter setup. Find something that is comfortable and that you can hold up for long periods of time. Granted, most positions need you to hold your marker up, but I've found that playing back requires me to have my marker up and shooting a LOT more than when I played front. When I play back I find that I am almost constantly shooting at something. As opposed to when I played front. Most of the time I was working my bunker and tucking in.

I know a back player that has a timmy that can hose lanes like crazy. But, since his setup was so light he used to endanger his front player quite a bit from the recoil. (In fact 2 weeks ago he gogged his front player in practice) I tend towards heavier markers for just this reason.

Are you playing in a limited paint league, rec ball or something where you won't have to hose the field down?

50 cal
07-24-2003, 07:24 PM
I use a warped Emag. Hoses the lanes and lets me come out the left side and hose the left and not be exposed for long periods of time.

Like others have said, try a bunch of different guns and decide what fits you the best.

AL3X OAKL3Y
07-24-2003, 07:40 PM
im going to be trying back now, have played front all my days in paintball..
my setup will be:
Angel Speed
Halo B
68/45 lp crossfire
pipe kit or freak(prob pipe tho)
shochtech drop wiht on/off asa
all i can think of, in there i see.. ROF, efficientcy, ect ect....
im sure it will work out good and if i want to play front i can just slap a 45/45 on wiht a rail and it wil be a nice tight set up.
LMK what u guys think bout this set up

person88
07-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I would say get a Ebladed cocker, thats what i am trying to get my hands on now:D

truss
07-24-2003, 08:28 PM
i wanted to thank everybody but the gun i am leaning to now is the viking.thanks again
travis

hAppy
07-24-2003, 08:32 PM
aka guns realllll nice!

Steelrat
07-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the Viking club. You won't regret it. Things you wanna make sure you have:

EQ board
Wicked eyes
Wicked switch
Blade trigger
Halo B
Lots and lots of paint

Its a great back gun. Its sturdy, dependable, has good balance, efficient, doesn't chop with eyes, and it can toss a whole lot of paint.

minimag187
07-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Well I really love matrixs, they are very accurate and stabile due to the no kick at all (seriously they like dont move at all) which seems to help for most positions. They also can shoot very brittle paint due to their low operating pressure (90-110 with lpr) which also makes them able to pinch a paintball. Dont forget they are very simple and easy to work on and the trigger has no side-side play AT ALL when you get them, and its very nice. Just make sure you have a LPR and some sort of boltkit, which I reccomend the FF Boltkit (addon to non-trauma trixs) which makes your gun get up to a case on a 68/45.

PS: Click on the link in my sig to see mine, and yes I dont have any GOOD pics.

elpimpo
07-24-2003, 11:11 PM
y buy a gun that u have to buy upgrades for it to make it perform good. get a speed angel

minimag187
07-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Every matrix you buy nowadays has a LPR+Boltkit, just not the FF adjustable addon. So basically you dont really have to add anything..

truss
07-25-2003, 06:36 AM
yeah but angles and matrix's are way more.a viking is only 775 new.

bunkermaster10
07-25-2003, 07:14 AM
I get to shoot a viking tommorow at the field! They're so light and fast. Go pick up the dark viking! Also the matrix is super nice also. I think they are about equal.

Psycho Chicken
07-25-2003, 09:35 AM
I am a back player, and i run with wither my matrix or xmag. The set up matrix: 88/45, kapp drop2, halo, 14" freak. Xmag:88/45, kapp drop2, warped, halo, stock barrel right now (working on new barrel system).

Here's a pic of them

Crazy
07-25-2003, 11:23 AM
timmy or a trix all the way man, both guns shoot ropes

elpimpo
07-25-2003, 02:22 PM
speed angel

minimag187
07-25-2003, 02:38 PM
You dont need to post 3 times saying angel =)

elpimpo
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
well nobody else put it so i figure ill just put it 3 times

Splat
07-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Angels are HEAVY!! They do have a good rof but it's too heavy to shoot straight sometimes. Last winter 3 guys I play with who were HUGE with Angels sold them to buy impy's. The difference?? They all said weight.

elpimpo
07-25-2003, 04:51 PM
those guys r freakin wusses. plus angels r not heavy at all. the new speeds are godly and a fly is as light as a x mag

Cyberious
07-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Personally I use the gun in my signature. Sometimes with the warp sometimes without. The barrell is a Dye Ultralite 14 inch. Ask rdb123 I shoot ropes with the X-Mag. For all of you Angelites I also have an Angel Speed and while it is just fine and would make a great back player gun I still prefer the X-Mag since it is faster. Although I must admit that the grip angle is really nice later in the day once I'm tired.

WillyWonka
08-25-2003, 06:05 PM
What about an RT Pro.....

truss
08-25-2003, 06:20 PM
wow very impressed.this thread was barried for a month and you dug it up.

Branchvillian
08-25-2003, 06:25 PM
I used a raced cocker for about 6 months, and now I use an E Mag. it's mostly up to you. Try guns at the field and find out what YOUR looking for in a gun.

kba5011
08-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes there great...Got rid of trix for fully milled excal...I must say great choice :)

WillyWonka
08-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by truss
wow very impressed.this thread was barried for a month and you dug it up.

Yeah, i was looking for stuff on people playing back with RTs 'cause i'm thinking of getting one for tourney ball.

-=Squid=-
08-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Get a cocker because they have teh 1337 r4nge!!!1

Ov3rmind
08-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Splat
Angels are HEAVY!! They do have a good rof but it's too heavy to shoot straight sometimes. Last winter 3 guys I play with who were HUGE with Angels sold them to buy impy's. The difference?? They all said weight.
If anything, the Angel Speed is lighter than any Imps I've ever held.

mrkbik
08-26-2003, 12:19 AM
I say go with what you really want and get the Viking. I got one and I won't trade/sell it for anything. They are light, efficient, consistant, and all around the best gun to get because they are much cheaper than others in their performance category. GET THE VIKING!!!

truss
08-26-2003, 01:04 AM
i did.i am waiting on it.the only down side to aka guns is they dont really mass produce them.i am on a waiting list for a dark viking.

darklord
08-26-2003, 11:40 AM
matrix, no question. Anyone can rip on it. Quiet as hell, low kick. Low kick=tighter grouping, plain and simple. I would never use another marker if I were to play back. Most matrixes come with a trinity and bolt kit, so you won't chop and will get moderate efficiency, but there's no doubt that you'll want a few upgrades to make it perform a tad better. Don't get me wrong though, it's quiet and fast out of the box. Just keep it oiled with the right kind of oil and you're all set. They don't chew through o-rings like some people claim.

And you really don't need to snap shoot as a back player. In 3-man you don't even need to. The advantage to being a back player is that you can stay out of your bunker for a longer period of time, and you have more time to react to paint flying at you. Use this to your advantage and stay out of your bunker as long as possible (leaning or so, not too exposed) so you can keep guys pinned and call out information.

No sKiLLz
08-26-2003, 12:11 PM
[i]And you really don't need to snap shoot as a back player. In 3-man you don't even need to. The advantage to being a back player is that you can stay out of your bunker for a longer period of time, and you have more time to react to paint flying at you. Use this to your advantage and stay out of your bunker as long as possible (leaning or so, not too exposed) so you can keep guys pinned and call out information. [/B]

<-----owns @ snapshooting with NYX Matrix. It's actually a lot easier than you think with this marker. But it's 2 late fer this yung 1. He's on AKA's Johnson now too. Good thing he already has kneepads.:D

kba5011
08-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Hes skinny.....
hehe...
FRONT!