PDA

View Full Version : Ok, time for some paintball apparel, need opinions.

Skoad
07-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Ok, played paintball last week in my 10 dollar wal-mart pants and shirt. Tore up my elbow and knees on rocks/gravel. Time to upgrade.

Now I don't want to spend a million dollars on somehting that will rip the first day out, so I'm looking for the durable and comfortable aspects of the gear. I don't really care if it has a squeegie holder or anything like that. Reinforced parts and sewn on/in padding are the big winners. (plus a little of the style factor :D )

Most of the places around St Louis are played on dirt with occassional rocks....i have yet to play on grass :P so keep that in mind.

=================
Pants:
Dye Hybrid (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/apparel-mens-apparel-pants-paintball-pants-dye-pants.html) - probably the most popular. Those who have these...when you use them do you also use a separate pair of knee pads? Do the pants have a little padding for the knees already? Also I have read that dye is a little off on the sizes...i'm a 32 waist which size should i get?

JT Tournament (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/apparel-mens-apparel-pants-paintball-pants-jt-usa-pants-jt-tournament.html) - Have heard these are nice as well. Anyone own these and have some comments on them?

Jersey:
Still not sure if I'm going to get a jersey yet...If anyone has suggestions on ones with maybe a padded elbow and is relatively stylish, speak up :)

Gloves:
Playing last weekend i got shot in the hands/gun about 15 times....The pain wasn't bad at all...but holding onto my marker with all the slippery paint afterwards was VERY annoying. Need some with decent traction that will not hinder my trigger fingers much.

Dye Core (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-gloves-dye-gloves-2003-dye-core-gloves.html) of course dye again.

Nexed (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-gloves-nexed-gloves.html) - Looked interesting, and kinda cheap. Anyone ever try these?

Redz Deminsion (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-gloves-redz-gloves.html) - Redz=known for comfort. Kind of on the expensive side.

Knee/shin Pads
Trying to avoid getting pants AND knee pads....but i may have to get them.Pads here (http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-knee-and-elbow-pads.html)

I've heard Rase are good...don't want any that will restrict movement or slide down/bunch up. Trying to avoid these by getting some decent pants..

==============

If you have any other suggestions.... speak up! I need mucho input.

hAppy
07-22-2003, 05:15 PM
dye pants are comfy

in my opinion i like the red 2003 dye jerseys, or 2003 pro series jt jerseys

robertjuric
07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
RASE = SP = Evil.

so no RASE

magnj
07-22-2003, 05:20 PM
heh

I have the New Dye Jersey. Very nice, But will cost u some money. I play in random pants and Free raven gloves

robertjuric
07-22-2003, 05:28 PM
random pants?? like a brand named random, or you just stick your hand in the closet and wear whatever comes out??

thatd be funny. me wearing my khakis playing pb. lol

Lohman446
07-22-2003, 05:39 PM
hmmm... guess my jeans and t-shirt are out

Guess its always funny when I bunker some kid in full dye gear with his electro marker with my mag...

pookachu32
07-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Get a pair of redz pants. They are comfortable, durable and probably a little cheaper than the dyes or JT's.

Vash02
07-22-2003, 06:43 PM
If you are willing to spend the money i suggest the new Dye jerseys. They have fairly heavy padding on the shoulder area and also (at least mine does) they have these little rubber dot things attached to the armpit and a little ways out onto the chest. These help you steady your tank in that area so it isnt slipping all over when you try and aim. The jersey has a mesh neting on the sides for ventilation (very nice, keeps me cool). Also they have padding sewn into the forarm areas so that when you are crawling over the thorny bush's or in your case, rocks, it helps to ease some of the pain. One of these babies will run you around $50 but to me it was WELL worth the price that i payed.

Johnny_Reb
07-22-2003, 07:00 PM
I use a pair of 32 degrees pants that work well for the price. Try 888paintball.com (www.888paintball.com)

Ya I agree with you on the knee/elbow pad thing. I won some elbow pads in a tourney and I dont really wear em. But if you play Snake or at a place with alot of rocks they might be a possibilty.

For the jersey, I dont think it really matters, just watever you like the best.

robertjuric
07-22-2003, 07:43 PM
has anyone had any experience w/ black BDUs? cheapest pants ive found at about $30 at my local military surplus.

hAppy
07-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_Reb
I use a pair of 32 degrees pants that work well for the price. Try 888paintball.com (www.888paintball.com)

Ya I agree with you on the knee/elbow pad thing. I won some elbow pads in a tourney and I dont really wear em. But if you play Snake or at a place with alot of rocks they might be a possibilty.

For the jersey, I dont think it really matters, just watever you like the best.

32 degrees piss me off

their guns suck, their jerseys are the nastiest things i seen in my life

raehl
07-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Jersey is Custom Sports Gear all the way. $65, get whatever you want on it. Anything. Sweet deal.

I'm currently using Nexed gloves and pants. The pants kick major posterior. The gloves are good, but I've only ever had one set of paintball gloves, so I have nothing else to compare them to. Get 'em big though, I have skinny hands (albeit somewhat long fingers) and a large fits me about right. If you have normal->large width fingers, get bigger gloves. And soak them in hot soapy water overnight before you wear them to get the excess black out if you don't want black hands.

I sometimes wear pads under my Nexed pants - Renegade S/M, which are too big for my toothpick legs ;) I'd probably get a different brand the next time around for a snugger fit. The Nexed pants do not have any padding, which is fine for most circumstances, unless you plan on playing front on a field with rocks. Yech.

That about covers it for me.

- Chris

Dryden
07-23-2003, 12:21 AM
I love the JT Pro-Zip pants!

I wore black BDUs for about three years but they fade like mad in the wash. When a couple of guys I play with bought the JT Pro-Zips, I said "You guys are stupid for spending $60 on paintball pants ... my BDUs were only $20 at the local GI Depot."

Well a few years later, I now own my own pair of Pro-Zips. :) Elastic waist, elastic crotch, reinforced/padded knees, zippered fly, velcro pockets, and the leggings zip off above the knees for post-game wear. What's not to like? You can get them for around $45 now online.

robertjuric
07-23-2003, 12:33 AM
well I just use jeans right now, so i think black bdu's would be the next step up. or i might just keep playin in the jeans until i get enough cash for some real pb pants.

WickeDKlowN
07-23-2003, 12:55 AM
I wear a pair of blue Vans pants that I got from Ross, and a Fox Racing jersey(wear the same thing when riding my dirtbike, hehe).

Nick O time
07-23-2003, 01:01 AM
i'd say go with the JT Tournament pants, and a JT jersey.

I probably sound stupid and supersticious(sp?) saying this, but whenever i mix my JT and Dye stuff i always have bad games.:rolleyes: Go figure.

GaryWV
07-23-2003, 01:03 AM
I usually just wear a raven jersey and a pair of khaki pants, but I think my teams gonna get the CSG package.

xtreme paintball
07-23-2003, 01:32 AM
I've got the JT Tourney Pants, and I've got to say, I really like them.

They've got the trademark JT features, including reinforced knees,tightening straps, squeegee sheaths, battle swab pouches, and stretchy-crotch.

A few new things they've come up with are an internal lining(good for cool weather, not so good for hot), air vents(on the lower back/upper butt, behind the knees and on the upper leg), and full-zip closure with velcro fastener.

On the other hand, it lacked a few features that I fancied in the Pro-Series. First is belt loops. Not really necessary with it's velcro tightening straps, but still sonething that can come in handy when you need to carry something on a belt. the other feature it was lacking was zip-off lower legs. Personally, I like to be able to zip off the legs in warmer weather. JT is trying to solve this by releasing Tourney shorts(same as Tourney Pants, but without lower legs, duh)

Overall, these pants are very comfy and stylish, and can stand up to the rigors of paintball.

Surreal
07-23-2003, 01:35 AM
get black BDU's! they are rugged, have tons of pockets, comfortable, and half the price of PB pants. you can't beat that. i've had people actually come up to me and ask what kind of paintball pants i was wearing.. black BDUs rock, they are so under rated.

edweird
07-23-2003, 01:47 AM
for gear suggestions I submit:

Pants
JT pants /w zippered legs (http://www.jtusa.com/2003/paintball/paintball_gamegearproyeszippants.asp)
Raven pants w/ zippered legs

Jersey
CSG AO Jersey!

Gloves
Dye gloves

Shoes
DYE ATC's
Diggers Cleats

Sliding shorts
Raven Sliding shorts w/ soft cup
Dye Sliding shorts

Mask
Dye Invision

Tyger
07-23-2003, 02:09 AM
I like the Nexed pants. VERY comfortable, VERY durable. Plus they do hold 2 bottles of liquid refreshment if you don't want to carry more pods. :) And I have yet to see them wear down, I'veseen a lot of the JT / DYE pants blow out. I saw a set of '03's with trashed knees in April. The guy owned them for a week, slid on astroturf, and blew 'em out.

I use Nexed gloves too, playing pump it's nice to get a grip with full gloves. I like short gloves too, but the NExedd are nice. They do wear a bit, but then again I've used mine weekly for a year. I also like the "Woodland Insustries" full fingers too.

Jerseys : AO jersey. :) Seriously, it's all the same, when it all comes down to it. So get what pattern you like. Or call CSG and design your own. IMHO, it's who you feel lke advertizing on your chest.

Pads : Redz makes the best on the market, IMHO. Keep in mind I managed not to break my knee after falling 15feet while wearing Redz pads. I like Redz.

I don't recomend the JT E-motions, the Renegades (Absoluely horrid stuff, I trashed mine in 5 outings. I use them still in their 'trashed' state becasue it's the only way I can justify spending the money I did...) I can't find the knee pads I use NOW online, mch to my annoyance. They were ade by "Implus", I think. I would liek to get another pair. They're really good stuff.

'nuff there? :)

-Tyger

punkcmonkiez
07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
pants
i got some black bdus for pants, and they work great. i got them new at dicks for 20 bucks.
jersey
my favorite jersey i own is my 01'jt proline good ventelation fits me good and looks good ;) (i dont have one but the AO jerseys are really cool and i plan on getting one somtime)
gloves
00' jt premieres they are great and i just got a new pair for cheap

Wickster
07-23-2003, 07:44 AM
The camouflage BDU's don't seem to fade as much as the black. You can get a variety of camo patterns. The NYCO (nylon cotton blend) seems to hold up better than the 100% cotton ripstop ones. (I still use the same BDU's since 92)
I wear knee pads underneath the pants.

beefstew
07-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Well here i go.
The zippered JT pants, in my opinion are trash. I had them for about 3 tournys, and when i could have gotten bounces, the zipper broke a few. Not too good in my book. The Redz pants are nice for people who are the right size, I am a tall lanky dude, so i couldnt fit them (too short or too fat) i have dye 2k3 pants, 2k3 jersey 2k3 cores and an invision. I am a dye whore! Why you ask? Not because everyone wears them, its because thats what i like the best. Dye stuff has lasted a long time for me, and if you take care of your stuff, it will last a long time. Get the 2k3 set, and if you are done growing (not sure on your age) then you could have them for years to come.
Just my opinion.
Phil

jdev
07-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by robertjuric
RASE = SP = Evil.

so no RASE

learn something new every day...

i didnt know that RASE was affiliated with Smart Parts.

either way. I have a pair of Rase Chigo pants, they are awesome. comfy, padded around the knee and behind area.. great for sliding, thick enough not to tear, but not so thick that you get all bounces.

ERut
07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
I bought some camo pants off a clearance rack. They're very durable, except for a hole in the crotch that Im just too lazy to fix!

kosmo
07-24-2003, 07:55 AM
As far as pants go, I cant stand BDU pants. Theyre not very durable (There are way too many seams on them. I dont have a single pair of BDUs in decent condition), not very breathable, dont wick moisture well at all, and the pockets are in bad places. That and I have to wear them all day every day and I get sick of it. But the PT pants on the other hand, those are what I use. Theyre strong as heck, nice and soft on the inside, wick moisture really well, dont limit your movement at all, and theyre slick textured and very easy to clean and makes for good sliding. Also works well because the bottom of the leg can be zipped up so theyre easy to take on and off over your shoes when youre done playing. Theyre a tad bit expensive I think, I wouldnt know though I always get them issued to me.

For jerseys, I will never buy anything besides Animal Paintball (http://www.animalpaintball.com/cgi-bin/VirtualCatalog/CatalogMgr.pl?cartID=b-7650&SearchField=category&SearchFor=Jerseys&template=Htx/search.htx&displayNumber=200) Theyre Insanely comfortable. Padded elbows, breatheable like nobodys business, wicked looking, and not everyone and their brothers girlfried owns one. My old style green Voodoo jersey has gone from my paintball jersey to my favorite shirt to wear any time. And you should see the looks I get when I walk around some small Korean town in that thing.

minimag187
07-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Pads: The DYE Arm Pads (the forearm/elbow ones) which help get bounces. I also wear DYE Core kneepads which they both seem to work very well for me.

Jersey: 2k2 JT Premiere Jersey

Mask: My old JT Spectra

Pants: My regular school pants, and yes im looking for some new ones.

Pack:JT Universal Pack

Thats all I can think of for now.