PDA

View Full Version : Y-Frame impressions

rx2
07-22-2003, 08:23 PM
I received my nickel Y-Grip on Monday, July 21st. It came packaged in a clear plastic pack; included were an AO card, and an AGD sticker. Nice touch. This frame is replacing the stock frame on a ’94 Automag with original valve assembly, with the exception of a Level 10 bolt.

I removed and inspected the frame, and found everything to be in order. Installation of the new frame was as easy as could be, and took only a few minutes. However, I did run into a bit of trouble when I decided to try and attach a duck-billed ASA adaptor instead of using a drop. I needed to place a spacer in between the ASA adaptor and the bottom of the frame in order to allow clearance between the spine and the main part of the adaptor. A minor glitch, but worth noting, I believe.

Having installed the frame, checking to make sure all was tight, I gassed up and had a go at it. I fired between 600 and 700 shots total during the initial trial. Some mentioned that they needed a bit of a break-in period to adjust to the frame. I, however, found no awkwardness at all. Of course, my trigger-hand posture is slightly different from others. As for the trigger, the pull was very smooth, and the added leverage of the longer trigger made the pull a little easier. The tradeoff, of course, is that the resultant travel of the trigger is a little longer. Overall, the feel is very nice. I was able to hit 10 bps (which I verified by recording a sample into Pro Tools using an SM-57 microphone aimed at the muzzle of my barrel, 45 degrees off-axis). I suspect I may be able to hit higher rates once I get more practice in (I haven’t fired my marker in close to a year).

One thing I noticed, however, is that short stroking is a bit easier considering the longer pull. This is something that I had not a problem with at lower speeds, but full out, I found I short-stroked a couple of times over the course of emptying my tank. Of course, this will likely not be an issue after I grow accustomed to the longer pull. Also, I should note that the entire unit is a tad on the bulky side.

Overall, I do find that the Y-Grip was a wise purchase. The decreased tension on the wrist, coupled with the easier pull will make for less fatigue, and the trigger pull is much nicer than stock. I do miss a bit of the snappiness that I had grown accustomed to over the 9 or so years I have used a Mag (my installation of a Level 10 last year reduced the snap also) but I suspect I won’t miss it for long. I should also note that I plan on installing an X-Valve in the near future, and possibly ULT.

Provided for example is a comparison between my Y-Framed Mag and standard-framed Mini (yes I intend on getting a gas-through grip).

Dave
07-23-2003, 06:59 AM
very nice! That was a good review. I really want to hold a Y grip and see how it compares to my Z grip.

-Dave

rx2
07-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Thank you. I can't comment on the similarities or differences between the Z and the Y. Unforunately, by the time Z-Grips were released, most of the people in my area had started switching to Cockers and Shockers, so I never got a chance to try one installed.

tony3
07-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Sweet gun, but imo dont get a gas thru grip, less mess running it from asa to valve, and less hose, less hose to leak, and it doesnt nothing imporvment wise