PDA

View Full Version : my crazy project (budget cocker)

skife
07-22-2003, 11:38 PM
well, i've gotten kinda bored with my mag lately, it shoots awsome and stright and consistant, but i've always wanted a cocker, i don't really have that much money to spend to buy lots of tricked out stuff and i don't want to trade my mag for a cocker so...

i decided i want to buy people's stock parts to try and make a "budget cocker" for under $150

if you guys could help me out a bit i would really appericate it
this is the link to my want post in the misc parts forum

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93848

so far i have no parts i would appericate any and all help that is given

TheTramp
07-23-2003, 12:28 AM
As far as building a working Cocker for $150 or under all I can say is good luck (I really do mean that. It has been done).

All my experiance has shown (at least to me) that you have to be VERY lucky to spend less building a marker from scratch than you could get it used. Here's one example: I tried to do it with an impulse (sorry all the SP detractors but it was way before all this mess) and even with some REALLY good deals I would have been better off saving my money and buying a nice new RAT Impulse.

You can probably do it if you are VERY strict with yourself and are willing to wait for the deals. This will still only get you a WELL used right feed Cocker. If you are hoping to have upgraded parts I'd revise your total cost up to at least $250 or more.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble. I'm just talking about the realities of building parts markers. It's certeinly not impossible but just unlikley

With all that said, please let us know how it goes. I, for one, would like to see an honest (not that you wouldn't be) account of the cost/troubles acssociated with building a parts Cocker.

Good Luck! :)

skife
07-23-2003, 12:37 AM
i plan on saving all the reciepts from the money orders i sent out, i'm hoping to get some new stock parts like when people would buy a stock cocker and take the front pnu's off... i really hope i can do this, Thanks for the advice though, $150 is my goal and i'm pretty sure i can do it

i remeber seeing somone on here that built an entire cocker out of parts that somone gave him, he upgraded their cocker and kept the parts

i'm hoping i can get some good deals and stuff

thanks for the advice man

WickeDKlowN
07-23-2003, 12:44 AM
one word: eBay

skife
07-23-2003, 01:05 AM
i've been looking on ebay and havn't really found any stock parts, i'm going to use stock parts and upgrade later, i'll try searching for different things though

the hard part is going to be finding the innards like the valve and springs and stuff

TheTramp
07-23-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by skife
i've been looking on ebay and havn't really found any stock parts, i'm going to use stock parts and upgrade later, i'll try searching for different things though

the hard part is going to be finding the innards like the valve and springs and stuff

You've got a good idea in looking for people who have put on upgrades and no longer have any use for their stock parts.

Have you see the thread in the dealers forum where Doc Nickel is selling "Cocker" bodies cheap? They are $120 (i think) for one that is ready to be used (the front block thread is not Cocker standard so a new FB screw is used). That doesn't leave you a lot of cash but it's a start.

I think the bodies are only $80 if you have the ability do some airsmith work on them so Doc doesn't have to.

skife
07-23-2003, 11:05 AM
i can get one ready to use for like $75 from doc i might do that, but thats a little high on my budget i think

we'll see though because those bodies look like one hellofa deal