PDA

View Full Version : Tom, does my Xmag software have a glitch?

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
07-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Ok a few minutes ago, I turned on my Xmag. ACE was on 01. I turned ACE off, played with the trigger. Turn off my Xmag when I had an even 6000 TS. A little while later I turn it on, and the shot counter was back to 5952, with ACE on 01 again. I turned off ACE again and shot till I got back to 6000. It happened again so I turned off ACE again and shot back up to 6000. This time it seems to have 'kept the TS in it's memory'.

Wynken
07-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Couldn't tell you for sure, but my emag did(probably still does) something similar. If I make any changes or fire the trigger, and then cut power to it within a few seconds it resets back to whatever it was before. I'm guessing it doesn't write directly back to the backup memory, but does it every few seconds. That's just a guess though.

-Wynken

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
07-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Well you see last weekend I was having problems with it. I couldn't even get it to shoot in manual at our tourniment.

Kevmaster
07-23-2003, 06:32 PM
emag shot counters suck

FalconGuy016
07-23-2003, 06:35 PM
From what it seems the emag software is really outdated and bad in generael, is this true? I think it should be able to have a shot counter that works, even if the battery is taken out for a little while it should have a small watch battery to save the shot counter.

Kevmaster
07-23-2003, 07:21 PM
well..even in the most recent 2.4 software, the shot counter sucks...

hitech
07-23-2003, 07:25 PM
I doubt it's the software. I'd bet it has something to do with the way memory is maintained. When the shot counter resets do all other settings reset? That would certainly be a sign of memory loss.

Besides, it's always the hardwares fault. ;)

Wynken
07-23-2003, 07:30 PM
I don't really have a problem with the shot counter myself. I don't think I've ever been legitimately putting shots on the gun and not had it keep them. Usually in a game I don't take a couple shots and then put the pin back in immediately. But, that's just me.

Coffey - Firing in mechanical mode has nothing to do with the electronics. There must be some other proble. What that is though, I couldn't tell you.

It doesn't need a watch battery because it has memory that can save the shots when the power is turned off.

-Wynken

pbzmag
07-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by hitech

This reminds me of the ThinkGeek shirts:

"Don't blame me, it's a software problem"

"Don't blame me, it's a hardware problem"

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
07-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Wynken

Coffey - Firing in mechanical mode has nothing to do with the electronics. There must be some other proble. What that is though, I couldn't tell you.

-Wynken

I know that. At the tourniment I played in last weekend M/H/E wouldn't work at all.

Fanatic
07-23-2003, 08:46 PM
AGD uses windows?

pito189
07-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I have the 2.4 in the X-Mag, and I will put the SPS up to 20, and turn the ACE off. I can then wait a short time or long time, and if I turn the gun off. When I turn it back on, everything is reset.

The shot counter getting reset if the battery runs down is annoying too.

Hopefully 3.0, will fix all this little annoying stuff, that should have been fixed a good while ago. Thats just me though. I mean seriously is it that hard, to get all this to work properly?

Curly
07-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by hitech

Spoken like a true programmmer. ;)

Wynken
07-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CoFFeY[NiTrO]

I know that. At the tourniment I played in last weekend M/H/E wouldn't work at all.

Ohh, I gotcha. Sorry about that Coffey, I misunderstood ya. Did you get the mechanical problem figured out?

AGD
07-24-2003, 02:43 AM
It is the hardwares fault. When we designed the board we didn't know that power down could loose the memory. For it to hold the memory all the time it needs another chip added to the board (which of course we didn't know about at the time). To combat the problem we store three identical copies of the data. On bootup it compares all three copies and takes the two that match for your startup settings. Some chips are worse than others and you can get all three copies with different data, then it goes back to defaults.

Sorry about it we fixed it the best we can.

AGD

pito189
07-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Sounds fair enough to me. At least you tried. :)

I will just leave the gun on for the whole tourney. Thats what is so good about the big battery. :cool:

Eric_AGD
07-24-2003, 07:36 AM
In addition to Tom's reply.

To reduce risk of corruption, it doesn't store new settings or shot count into the EEPROM until 4 seconds of inactivity. That means the gun has to sit for 4 seconds before turning it off, for it to save the changes (or added shots) you made.

Mango
07-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Coffey: My new X-mag does the same thing. All well. :p

Muzikman
07-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CoFFeY[NiTrO]
Well you see last weekend I was having problems with it. I couldn't even get it to shoot in manual at our tourniment.

If it's not working in manual...you have a bigger problem than shot counters and software/hardware. Do you have the Timmy blade trigger?

hitech
07-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AGD
It is the hardwares fault.

See, I told you so!!!! Nah, Nah... ;)

:D

pito189
07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Perhaps a new type of board should be considered then. That sucks less?

The Angel board keeps it's setting in it's memory no matter how you turn it on and off. Does it not?

Just wondering why use the board if you know it doesn't work?