PDA

View Full Version : Manny Francia's Retromag

Python14
07-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey, I've been talking to a friend of mine who has been watching me play and he was telling me some tips to help my game and one thing he suggested was change my gun setup to something a little more compact, yet not taller from a dropforward. He sent me a picture of Manny Francia shooting his retromag when he was with Aftershock (the same pic that I had blown up for a picture on my wall because he's awsome)and told me that a setup similar to that might work. So I'm looking at it right now and wondering a few things....

First, what kind of asa is that? Is that just the shocktech asa on a rail or the PMI Thor with a 45/5000 system or what?

Second, Someone told me that was a 14" Ultralite, yet it looks to me like the old aluminum? Does it really matter since they are both aluminum?

Finally, is there anything special inside the gun besides an RT valve and probably LX?

If anyone can answer these questions for me, that'd be great, or even if Manny himself sees this, that'd be great
:D Eitherway, I'm hoping to build something vary similar.

Nick O time
07-25-2003, 01:18 AM
dude i only saw his retro mag once that thing was so tight, post some pics please.

DiRTyBuNNy
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
from what Manny told me as I talked really briefly with him at PSP-LV..the only thing custom on his Retro Mag was a foregrip that Danny Love had made for him....other than that..it's made from off the shelf parts...

teich
07-25-2003, 12:17 PM
the drops I have seen him use the last couple times i have played with him have been those really small shocktech angled ones with a shocktech asa, I am almost positive all of his mags have LX in them, pretty sure he has 14 inch ultra lights, he has a custom trigger on that retro that has to be felt to be believed

poolshark5226
07-25-2003, 12:45 PM
pics anyone?

Army
07-25-2003, 01:02 PM
This one is from Gettysburg, so it's somewhat dated:
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/nppl/2001/gettysburg/gallery/MVC156S.jpg

poolshark5226
07-25-2003, 01:19 PM
I was more hoping for one of just the mag by itself? From this angle it looks just like a stock mag:confused:

Clockwork_Orange
07-25-2003, 02:00 PM
That what makes a mag so deceiving...you don't have to do any cosmetic work to it; just change the valve and probably the trigger and frame and you're good to go.

For most of us looks come first then performance.

Off Center
07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
That's a DYE Aluminum. The difference between the aluminum and the ultralite is that the ultralite is a two piece barrel whereas the aluminum is a one piece.

LittlePaintballBoy
07-25-2003, 04:12 PM
here is my mag, its so small and tight its not even funny. people tell me that drop is really ugly (zach;).) but i can balance my whole gun on my pinky. it looks like a really long barrel, but its only 14 3/4. wth? 3/4? ***edit*** oops, thats my old barrel, i didnt have my freak yet.

Prairie
07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Manny plays with something similar to an eclipse drop

http://www.midatlanticpb.com/gunpics/aka/balance.jpg

Load SM5
07-25-2003, 06:40 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=366477

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=106972

Army
07-25-2003, 08:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHhaaa! LOVE the ACE Hardware barrel bag! Way cool!

Python14
07-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Hmmm....I like what I see. So the consensus so far is that it is a shocktech mini-drop, or something of similar size? I found the pic that LoadSM5 posted and anazlyzed it for close to 20 minutes.

hahaha...Anyone got a 45/45 that they'd trade for an 88/45 stubby?

RiceRocket
07-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Hey Python14,

Thanks for the compliments. The Retromag you see in those pics is the gun I used for years before I started using the Emags. At the time, the custom parts on the gun were the lightened rail (slimmed down and carved on the inside) and the custom front grip the was hollow. Everything else was completely stock. The ASA rail was one of the earliest versions made by Shocktech and the ASA is Shocktech. You can get the stubby rails from Shocktech. DYE has their version too that can be either straight or angled. The barrel was an old aluminum DYE that just always shot well. To me it was a "why change what works" gun and to make it as light and small as possible. The air system was a 45/4500 Pure Energy screw-in running at 800 psi.

With the advent of some of the latest AGD stuff, that gun has undergone changes that include the Level 10, shortened PF tube, aluminum X-valve, Intellifeed, and a custom trigger from tysonmachado of AO. Stuff in the works will be a custom rail from tysonmachado and a ULE body.

I'll try to get you pics up after the gun is finished.

That gun is a workhorse. It has never failed me whenever it counted.

Cryer
07-28-2003, 01:44 PM
...So is Tyson Machado still around doing custom work?

Manny, above it's mentioned that your tyson trigger feels different. How? or is it just cosmetic?:confused:

I really look forward to seeing pics of your mag. Sounds really interesting.

rkjunior303
07-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I have that Dye Aluminum in 12'' and it's always been a great barrel.

Python14
09-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Alright, it's like a month later and I've gotten somewhere with things...first, I'm finally awaiting my PMI 45/45. Hopefully I'll have it by this friday(provied Zaust is cool:D ). Second, I found a smaller barrel(10" Ultralite) that will help. I cut my PF tube with a hacksaw yesterday and while it took me the better part of an eternity plus 2 hours, I got it done. It lowered my hopper a good bit, and hasn't effected my feeding any. I still need a retrovalve and LX, but that will have to wait, I don't chop much anyway. Finally, Chuck might let me borrow a shocktech stubby to try and see if I like it. I kind of wish I could find one that's straight because while angled is fun and all, I prefer things in a line, not cocked funny. Oh well.:p

Regardless, things are coming together nicely and I should have a nice setup.

Oh yea, and I spraypainted my body black so if I don't like it, I can change it. It contrasts well with my red jersey:D

BTW, Manny, where in Kentucky are you? I'm trying to find as many AO people in this area for an AO Appalachian meet.

ZAust
09-01-2003, 11:50 PM
hey python, how did the cutting down on the powerfeed go? i was thinking about doing something similar, cutting it enough so the elbow is actually touching the body. why did it take so long? and im just waiting on the hydro guys to finish up on my tanks, its taking farking forever.

Jaasper
09-02-2003, 01:10 AM
As far as drops go. I just picked <a href="http://www.evil-paintball.com/bottomline.htm" target="_blank">this</a> up. Looks to be what you are looking for.

You might also look at getting an <a href="http://www.actionvillage.com/014-1101.html" target="_blank">armson</a> elbow. They are nice and compact and I have had the same one for going on 5 years now. Its the original one that came with my MicroMag. I bought a spare but I have yet to have to use it except to loan it out when someones elses breaks. :)

Python14
09-02-2003, 06:14 AM
The reason it took my so long is because of the following reasons.....
-Miami Vice was on
-Megan called
-I fixed myself a bowl of Honey nut cherrios(twice)
-My dog kept coming in
-The saw was on the dull side
-Mag bodies are made of stainless steel.
-a member of my Sims family died
-another member of my Sims family died(stupid fireplace)

Yea, so it took a while.

Also, I live by my Armson Elbow. I've had two in my life. The first one I lost. I love it.

I looked at that Evil on/off rail asa and really, I need something that will atlease take an inch or so off the length of my tank. I'll have to experiment though before I find something.

Jaasper
09-02-2003, 08:44 AM
You got about an inch to play with with the evil on/off. I'll have to take some pics and show you what it looks like. Prolly be about 2 weeks or so before I get a chance. In the middle of getting married next weekend, and me marker is in the shop for a tune up. Those honey-nut cheerios are EVIL!. Speaking of which. I hear them calling my name.

Python14
09-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Yea, I was lame. I'm surprised I even finished doing it I got so distracted so easily.

Anyway, I am looking at another asa option. I'm trying to track down an old TASO frame(see my FT thread) and I am gonna attach an asa from my remote to it via TIG welds. It will be permenant, but so will my setup. The nice thing is, it will never jiggle, or move, or shift, or give me problems. It should be thuroughly awsome and hopefully, it will suit me quite well.

BTW, I'm gonna name this gun "Beowulf"

Python14
09-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, my 45/45 came in today. HURRAY!

How much of an angle does the Shocktech drop put the tank at?

ZAust
09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
and im still waiting for my tank...

Python14
09-12-2003, 06:52 PM
If it wasn't shipped yesterday, it was shipped today. I just dropped it off at work and told the mailroom guy that it contained a fragile glass christmas orniment.:)

ZAust
09-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Python14
If it wasn't shipped yesterday, it was shipped today. I just dropped it off at work and told the mailroom guy that it contained a fragile glass christmas orniment.:)

oh no!!! you know that means theyll play hackysack with it!!:p could i possibly get a tracking number?:

Trauma
09-13-2003, 03:21 AM
manny should ditch the powerfeed and get himself a nice ULE body

Python14
09-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Trauma: From what I understand, he is. Plus he has an SFL E-mag and who knows what else? Who is he playing for now anyway?

Zaust: I'll see what I can do about a tracking number:)

Python14
09-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Two more new additions....all special thanks to ChucktheMAGician.

Chuck gave me a stubby drop and asa to try and that made a big difference. Secondly, he actually found a 14" Dye Aluminum so now I'm all giddy and excited because my gun is very tight(small) now. I'll try and post pics soon.

FRENZY
09-14-2003, 05:28 PM
http://www.metropoleparis.com/2000/544/toon544.jpg