Q01
07-25-2003, 01:24 AM
i fell stupid posting this but i have some questions
1. waht is a ans phase 2 charger
2. is it good
and 3 where can i hydro a hpa tank

ignatz
07-25-2003, 08:43 AM
I think the ANS Phase II "charger" is modified regulator (back part of the valve, where the velocity is adjusted) for the Automag. The idea was to make a larger air passage for better consistency. The overall public opinion is that they didn't work very well. My testing indicated that the use of the modified reg slightly reduced dropoff during very rapid fire (like using a boo yaah or Hyperframe). The benefit gained is not worth the MSRP IMHO, but if you can find a used one for cheap... Remember to hang on the stock reg. if you do devide to try the ANS out.

As far as hydro testing goes, check with local Scuba shops or local Fire Aparatus supply store. If you don't have anything local, you can search the net and find companies to send your tank to for hydro testing. HTH.

athomas
07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
The aftermarket valve backs such as the ANS Phase II were designed to fix a problem that were in original mags back around 1993 and earlier. The air passage between the front and back halves of the valve didn't line up. This caused a restriction which could affect the recharge rate of the valve at high rates of fire. The newer AIR valves all have the holes that line up so these aftermarket backs are no longer needed and provide no benefit.