PDA

View Full Version : ph34r teh RIAA

Xerces
07-25-2003, 12:48 PM
http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3484600,00.html

cris8762
07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
that's crazy, they're starting to go after individual users now......

i guess they just searched for people that had the most music (like thousands of mp3's) and compiled a list

that's insane man.......RIAAA will have to take Kazaa out of my cold dead typing fingers:D :D :D

krafty
07-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Upgrading to Kazaa Lite 2.40 does a pretty good job of blocking the RIAA from seeing your machine.

mikey101
07-25-2003, 04:29 PM
woo wee..I'm not on the list, and neither is my bro! well that's a sigh of relief. And to think, my bro has been sharing around 7,500 mp3s...

pbzmag
07-26-2003, 12:45 AM
That list is only first few. From what I hear, they are mainly going for users that have a large list of shares.

e mag
07-26-2003, 12:59 AM
of course you could always just use ftp's, irc, direct connect, or newsgroups. the files people share on them are usually encoded at better bitrates too.

MagMan5446
07-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Better bitrate isn't always better...

e mag
07-26-2003, 11:50 AM
if it was encoded properly it usually is, and with what i've downloaded from ftp's, irc, and dc most songs usually have the right tags.

MantisMag
07-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pbzmag
That list is only first few. From what I hear, they are mainly going for users that have a large list of shares.

BZZZZZZZZT WRONG! this is a scare tactic. some of those people are sharing as few as five files. they're going after anybody and everybody to try and show that NOBODY is safe.

Jonneh
07-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Please, continue to share your mp3s, the RIAA are an idiotic organisation who refuse to accept the fact that people can easily share music on the internet and refuse to compromise. Instead they file outrageous(sp?) claims against college students for 20 zillion million quintillion dollars.

If any of you are unlucky enough to actually get threatened with a lawsuit, simply go out and buy the CDs of your mp3 collection, at most it will cost you a few thousand dollars, which will definately be less than the small continent the RIAA will demand.

Sooky
07-26-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm really glad I live in Canada! Maybe all foreign users should just amass huge libraries for the poor non-sharing Americans...:p

Originally posted by mikey101
And to think, my bro has been sharing around 7,500 mp3s... That's crazy... I had 900 at my peak once, but now I'm down to 400 or so.

Fred
07-26-2003, 03:15 PM
or you could just... periodically change your kazaa name like I do... Oops! that fake username/email doesn't exist anymore, maybe they stopped sharing?!?

muahaha! I love Kazaa!

Xerces
07-26-2003, 03:17 PM
if they start to threaten you personally, there are several ways to get around it, just think ahrd enough and they won't be able to touch you.

no one stop sharing files, they are doing this to scare people into stopping. if you use kazaa lite, everyone uses the same kazaa address, so they will never be able to catch you.

e mag
07-26-2003, 04:05 PM
hahahaha they don't catch you by your username. they get your ip address and trace it back to your isp, the only way to avoid it is to use a proxy.

Xerces
07-26-2003, 04:09 PM
just say your ip was spoofed.
there is no LEGAL way for them to trace it back to you...yet.

logamus
07-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by e mag
hahahaha they don't catch you by your username. they get your ip address and trace it back to your isp, the only way to avoid it is to use a proxy.
ok, here comes computer retard question number one. what is a proxy and how do i use one? thank you, please be gentle on the flames.

Vash02
07-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Yikes. Thats the first actual proof i've seen that they are biggining to target people. I have to admit that it is pretty dumb that they are going after you no matter if you have 5,000 mp3's or 5 mp3's.

mikey101
07-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Step 1:
first, go to www.stayinvisible.com. once on that site, click the link that says "view proxies". You'll see a bunch of numbers on the site that look like "124.56.783.2" those are the IP address of the proxy server. Next you'll see what port number the proxy is run on. Now, choose one of these proxy's that's close to you, and remember it for a later use...

Step 2:
If you are running internet explorer 6, then look at the tool bars at the top. go to "tools" then click "internet options". Now click the "connections" tab at the top of the new window. Once in that section, click the button labeled "LAN settings...". Now check the box that says "Use a proxy Server for your LAN". Now you have a place to enter in the IP Address and Port number which you got off of www.stayinvisible.com, enter both IP and port number in specified boxes. Hit apply/OK until you are out of the window. And that's it, you're now masked by a proxy!

I tried to be as simple as possible..let me know if something doesn't make sense..hope this helps:)

btw: A proxy is another website, or company, or anyone else that has an IP address and allows you to run all of the info you see on the internet through them first, then to you. This is good because if someone tries to trace you, they are actually tracing the proxy server that you are going through.

*Here's how information flows if you're not using a proxy (---> means the packets of info being sent to you)

The Internet---------->You

*Now here's what it looks like while you're proxy is on:
(notice how the info goes through the proxy first:))

The Internet------->Your proxy server--------->You

personman
07-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Dude holy crap you guys the most mp3s ive ever downloaded off the internet is like 30 and I thought that was alot :p

Fred
07-27-2003, 07:39 AM
does using a proxy like that slow you down at all?

and I'm guessing that's not a good thing to try if you're using a school network...

mikey101
07-27-2003, 09:47 AM
yea, the downside to using a proxy is that it will slow you down. how much it slows you down depends on where the proxy is located. that's why it's always best to find one as close as possible. Why are you looking to use a proxy on your schools network?

Vegeta
07-27-2003, 10:09 AM
I don't share any music. I only download it. I put all the songs in a non shared folder nto because i am scared of teh RIAA but becasue I am greedy and do not want people using my bandwidth to get mp3s... go bother someone with cable for that...

dave_p
07-27-2003, 10:50 AM
i noticed you shut down a thread about finding video game ROMs a while back stating it was illegal.
this thread remains alive.
as a programmer(im one too) i can see how the ROM image downloading and emulation scene may not make you too happy, coding is not always easy and programmers should not lose out.
you are also a musician i believe?, im one as well so i can see how filesharing hurts musicians too. i feel that this thread should be shut down on the same merits as the ROM thread.

btw, im not saying i think either is wrong or right, there are grey areas in both. i enjoy emulation. i also own arcade machines.

i do feel less people stand to lose less money from a pirated copy of excitebike, or tecmo football than a pirated copy of the new audioslave cd but it is no less of a copyright infringement.

like i said, im neither here nor there, but lets be fair.

AngelBoy
07-27-2003, 12:54 PM
So, nothing can happen if you disable people from downloading from your files?

gamarada717
07-27-2003, 02:39 PM
I read a newspaper article that said that the damages for one song can be from 750 to 25,000 dollars. This is outrageous.

Xerces
07-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by gamarada717
I read a newspaper article that said that the damages for one song can be from 750 to 25,000 dollars. This is outrageous.

just because someone typed it up and printed it out doesn't mean its true.

the recording industry has made hundreds off of me, simply because i sample music before i buy it. i have never bought a cd because it looks like it might be good.

Vash02
07-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by AngelBoy
So, nothing can happen if you disable people from downloading from your files?

I was thinking that they track your IP while you are downloading. If this is true then you are still at risk even if you dont share your files. I could deffinatly be wrong though so somebody let me know if i am.

Xerces
07-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Vash02

I was thinking that they track your IP while you are downloading. If this is true then you are still at risk even if you dont share your files. I could deffinatly be wrong though so somebody let me know if i am.

the only way you can get in trouble by downloading, is if you happen to download from one of their dummy hosts. there are very few.

AngelBoy
07-27-2003, 09:11 PM
I keep reading about them going after people who share files, and are a source that people get the songs from. Just starts to lead me to believe that theyre only going after people who are sharing files.

Xerces
07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
it sounds that way. i would say the people they catch are 95%-99% of the time, people sharing files. they are doing it both ways to make them feel that nobody is safe, but they are going after the people that share first so if everyone stops, there will be no files to download.