PDA

View Full Version : What does AGD use at the factory to glue on foamies?

Animal Mother
07-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Ok... 4 foamies and they keep flying off on me.

Yes I clean the bolt COMPLETELY before I glue on another one. I use finger nail polish remover and remove everything and then rubbing alcohol to clean off the polish remover. I let it dry out. I take a new foamie, I clean the surface with alcohol first.

I then use Advanced Formula Krazy Glue, put a drop on the foamie and spread it to cover the entire foamie. I then stick it to the bolt and press hard, I then leave the bolt foamie side down to keep pressure on it while it dries.

I let it sit for two days. The velocity on my e-mag is 270bps right now, the foamie is on perfectly straight. I take 3 shots.. bye bye foamie.

What the hell?!?! What am I doing wrong? Only reason I blew off my original foamie was because I had my velocity really high and it ripped the foamie in half. My foamies keep blowing off at the glue.. what kind of glue does AGD use? I WANT THAT GLUE! I don't care if I have to order it, I have tried standard krazy glue and this advanced formula and they all fall off. Damnit..

i_baked_cookies
07-26-2003, 07:02 PM
duct tape... mans best friend

personman
07-26-2003, 09:55 PM
I used JB Weld on my last foamie I put in, and let it dry and it never fell off. Of corse that bolt is with sneakyhacker420 now so I dont know if it has fallen off or not but even if it has that would mean it still lasted like half a year and thats pretty good.

Daroy99
07-26-2003, 11:00 PM
I used epoxy(strong) and it blew off.

AndrewGore(OTB)
07-26-2003, 11:31 PM
When mine came off, i said "more will fall off..." so I never put another one on. I have yet to have that effect my bolts lvl x'ing abilities. go foamie-less. :cool:

andrew

Animal Mother
07-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Yeah... but it's nice to have.

Dont know about JB weld... kinda strong, lol

What does AGD use? Anyone?

BlackVCG
07-27-2003, 02:04 AM
I use IC2000 from Bob Smith Industries. It's a rubber strengthened super glue (cyanoacrylate) that has a little bit of flex to it. The problem with the glue you guys use is that it's too brittle and with the vibrations and other forces the foamie sees, it cracks the bond between the super glue and the metal surface.

I have also used Loctite 404, instant adhesive for bonding rubber parts but it will cost you an arm and a leg in comparison to the IC2000.

You can get the IC2000 at most any local hobby shop. Your hobby shop probably has their name on it, but BSI manufactures it. Go here (www.bsiadhesives.com) and check out the product information.

It does help to take a sharp object and scratch the surface of the bolt you glue the foamie to a bit to give the glue some extra surface into which it can "bite".

I have also been using this stuff to glue down the bumper to the PT on all my RT valve guns. So far it looks pretty promising with the wear characteristics of the bumper. It looks like it will be more of a "replace once every year or two" like a foamie instead of "once every month". The IC2000 is black in color, so I've been dying my bumpers with RIT dye to make them black too, so it doesn't look bad with the black glue smeared under a clear/yellow bumper.

Animal Mother
07-27-2003, 02:17 AM
Holy crap.. $22 for that Loctite 404

I'm gonna try the IC2000 from Bob Smith Industries first. I have a Hobby shop down the street from me, but I'll check the dealer listings on their site as well.

Thank you Black for all the info. Also I used your tip on holding down my bumper with some white grease, that worked perfectly! But the grease disapears pretty quick. I have been using white Tetra grease I use on the slides of my firearms, it's pretty thin. I'll try the IC2000 on it as well.

Thank you again, a lot of helpful info. I am still wondering what AGD uses on the foamies, that stuff works pretty well, well until my dumbass goes and turns my gun up to 340fps and dry fires a bunch of shots, lol (I was fooling around with springs for my lvl X)

BlackVCG
07-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Not sure what AGD uses, but I've seen plenty of factory foamies blow and haven't seen any from using this stuff. If you can't find it, (you should be able to) I can go to my hobby shop and pick you up a bottle and send it to you. It should be about $6 or so for a 1oz bottle.

My Dad and I use that Tetra grease too. It works well if you apply it correctly. :) We put it on the slide contact points of our S&W CQB .45 and it gummed it up. After reading a bit more I noticed that you're basically suppose to rub it into the metal. :)

Clockwork_Orange
07-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Try Elmers glue.;)

JT2002
07-28-2003, 09:02 AM
oh so that ic2000 is a cyanoacrylate , its CA glue like that used for r/c car tires. if you cant find that ic2000, look for something like zap a gap, and try that

Animal Mother
07-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Yeah that Tetra grease is good stuff, I rub a bit on the slides of my guns and it doesn't cook off like regular lube. That's why I got it, I didn't like how the slide on my H&K USP was wearing so much so soon so I got that stuff.

I lucked out on the IC2000, the hobby shop around the corner had tons of it. I got a weird look when I told them what it was for, lol. He goes "the paintball gun is made of plastic?" hehe.. I explained what a foamie was and he said "well thsi stuff is rubberized so hopefully it will work". You were right, they do put their name on it, but good thing you can still get the original name of it.

It was $5 for the bottle. I'll let it sit for a few days until I gas up my mag. That should give it plenty of time to cure. I'll also try holding down the bumper with it.

TheDuelist
07-30-2003, 05:01 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I've put about 40,000 rds through my marker and have yet to replace the foamie on my level 10.

Animal Mother
07-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Yeah I woulda still had mine if I didn't turn my reg up so high and rip the one I had in half, lol

BlackVCG
07-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Oh no! You got the Tire Glue! I have the extra strength stuff. :) My bottle is the same except it's a 1oz bottle and instead of saying Tire Glue it says "Extra Strength." I doubt it will matter. It might just be a label change. Let me know how it works out for you.

Animal Mother
07-31-2003, 09:44 PM
I can't find any info on a different type of IC2000, so like you said I bet it's just a label. They say it works great on all sorts of applications but is the very best tire glue.

Well after two days of letting it cure completly I dry fired 200 shots. Took the valve out and the bumper looks un-touched and the foamie is firmly in place with no corners lifted up.

With super glue.. 20 shots and the foamie was gone. This looks promising :)

Thanks again Black, this is a great idea. Plus the gluing of the bumper! Everyone should do this. I was replacing a bumper every case of paint. I tried your grease method and it worked great, I think the glue will work even better.

:)

JT2002
07-31-2003, 10:09 PM
any type of CA glue will probably work great. i know that i will be using zap a gap on my emag. man that stuff is very strong CA glue

sneakyhacker420
08-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by personman
I used JB Weld on my last foamie I put in, and let it dry and it never fell off. Of corse that bolt is with sneakyhacker420 now so I dont know if it has fallen off or not but even if it has that would mean it still lasted like half a year and thats pretty good.

he globbed the JB weld ALL OVER THE FOAMIE

you can see some of it suqeezing out of the sides of the foamie

that thing is definitely not going anywhere anytime soon

good job personman ;)http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif