PDA

View Full Version : Near Alabama? Short notice, but it's worth a shot to ask...

djbea
07-26-2003, 07:53 PM
I know it's short notice, BUT it's worth the shot to ask.

Tomorrow it's the World Paintball Skills Championship in Hoover, Alabama and if you're nearby, it's worth the two-three hour trip to check this event out tomorrow, the 27th of July.

Now if you can't make it, it's ok because it will also air on PAX Communications sometime in September.

It's $7 per person to get in the gate and you'll be surprised to see the skills challenge of these players competing.

It's all about the individual player, almost like performing a practice drill, but it's in a timed competition.

At the start, each player begins at a bunker to shoot at a PVC Pipe Target and dump two hoppers of paint.

After doing so, they run down the lane to the next part of the obstacle which is to shoot at three standing targets from a laydown bunker. It's only one-shot per target, however, so every shot counts.

If they miss the target with that one shot, they have to go to the side of the bunker to the penalty box area to then shoot at the penalty flag to try again.

After all three targets are down, they advance. They then proceed to run back to the starting point. And since these is a timed event, they need to get there as fast as possible.

There will be a back player open class division and a front player open class division, as well.

It'll be lots of fun to watch in person, but if you do miss it, stay tuned at Modern Paintball (http://www.modernpaintball.com) details on when this will air live on PAX.

Thanks for your time in reading this and hopefully, we'll see you there (if you are nearby the area!).

Best wishes AO.
Sincerely,
Bea

PS Attached is a pic of the playing field during the morning set-up. It's not complete, but it will give you an idea of what it will look like. If you notice the far left of the lanes where the airball bunkers are set up, that's a finished lane with all the props up. I will post more pics for you to see a close-up of each part of the obstacle in each lane.

DiRTyBuNNy
07-26-2003, 07:54 PM
nope...I'm sitting behind my desk at home...but I thought I'd just say hi to my girl, Bea...

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi Dan!

Thanks! See you soon, right? Going to Miami for the Super 7 World Cup event?

We're in Hoover right now for this event! After this, it's to the paintball camps in Virginia (Ronn Stern's Camps). Right after that, New Jersey Super 7. Then, back to Cali for a few days.

Hope you're doing well! We're gearin' up for the next Paintball Expo, as well. Hope to see you soon, friend!

Sincerely,
Bea

magman007
07-26-2003, 08:03 PM
heya BEA i wish i could make it! But, well i cant, i will see you in NJ tho! And it was cool to finaly meet you at the IAO

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Four people (back players division and front players division) start simultaneously.

Here's an image of what the player will see from the starting line. At the mark, they begin by shooting behind the bunker at the two ground PVC targets and cannot hit the PVC piping. If they do, they are assessed a penalty.

DiRTyBuNNy
07-26-2003, 08:06 PM
cool cool...still going over in my head the PSP vs. S7 WC since this is my first one but you and I can talk about that in PM's...

and you know I'm good for another EXPO...just tell me what you (or they) need and I'm down for whatever...

you gotta come out and play with me and the mag boys next time you're in Cali...just get back with me with some dates and I'll try and hook the whole crew up..

Come on EVERYONE...Paintball Skills Championships...if Bea is pimpin this then you know it's gotta be good stuff...make you strong like bull..ahhahahahaha..

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks, MAGMAN007! ;) See you in New Jersey!

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:11 PM
From the first bunker - a view...

see the two ground PVC pipe lookin' targets, you shoot in between the PVC piping. Next image will give you a closer shot.

DiRTyBuNNy
07-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Bea...Magman found out how much of a celebrity I am when he could drop my name and get some love from you...ahahhahahahhahaa..

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Shoot in between the PVC piped-frame. The metal behind it adds some noise as an effect. Imagine those 4 players taking off at the same time and the sound is like the start of a 10-man game.

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Next, up to the laydown, front players have to slide, back players need not (since typically, back players aren't seen sliding as often as the front).

This is showing a laydown cone, but it will really be a laydown can tomorrow.

Shoot at the first (left to right) target ONCE. If you miss, you then have to shoot at the penalty target to be able to clear and restart again from behind the laydown.

Proceed after all three targets have been shot down.

When the first target goes down, the first green light turns on, and so on and so forth. Notice the scaffold in the background. Placed on the scaffold are the green lights.

This feature is to help the spectators track the success of the player hitting the target(s).

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:26 PM
If you miss the target (and remember, only one shot per target), you have to shoot at the penalty target by stepping into the penalty box next to the right of the laydown and shoot once at the penalty target. You don't have to hit the penalty target right on, but just shoot once from within the penalty box.

i like tictacs
07-26-2003, 08:28 PM
looks tough heh

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:29 PM
These are the three targets to shoot at hooked up electrically to the light fixture. When the target goes down, it triggers to turn the light associated with that target on for the spectators to track the progress.

Load SM5
07-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Hmmmmm. Hoover is about an hour from my house. I may have to swing by and check it out. What time does it start? Does the field have a website with better directions?

After all, it's been the longest week of my life since I saw you last at IAO.:D

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:31 PM
targets hit trigger lights

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Then you run back to the starting point where the 1st official will be there to stop the clock on your run.

Front players have to dive headfirst, backplayers have to simply run back (like running back the flag).

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Target 1 - penalty mark

djbea
07-26-2003, 08:53 PM
If you hit the PVC piped-frame, you are assessed a penalty point.

1st place - 10 points max
2nd place - 8
3rd - 6
4th - 4

If the player makes it through each lane successfully and gets finished first, the best possible total is 10.

djbea
07-26-2003, 09:03 PM
This is the stadium's website:

http://www.barons.com/main.shtml

The Hoover Met is located off of I-459 at exit 10 (Hwy. 150). Exit onto Hwy. 150 toward Hoover and take a right at the 3rd stoplight (Stadium Trace). Follow Stadium Trace approx. 1 mile to the ballpark.

Thanks for your interest and I really hope to see you there!

:p

Load SM5
07-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks Bea. What time do the festivities take off?

djbea
07-26-2003, 09:26 PM
LoadSM5 - it will take place between 11AM - 2PM. It may run over, though, but it's to your advantage to be there as close to 11AM as possible to see the competition!

Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Bea

Load SM5
07-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Even better, I can sleep in and still make it! Look for me there!

I'll be the long-haired scruffy looking hoodlum.:)

djbea
07-26-2003, 09:50 PM
It's Party Time! The bounce houses for the kids are there! The Laser Zone will be setup!

djbea
07-26-2003, 09:56 PM
The stadium is very close to the location where the event will take place. Hopefully people going to the game at 2PM will come to see the World Paintball Skills Championship beforehand. The City of Hoover has been pushing the event locally on behalf of the event and it's been advertised on the local radio stations, as well. Hope to see you there, too!

Python14
07-26-2003, 11:54 PM
GOSH DURN IT! I was just in Huntsville last weekend. But then again, I don't even know where Hoover is?

CodeMA
07-27-2003, 01:59 AM
looks like a challenge....and deffently sounds like theve got it were its going to have maximum viewing..and out reach to the publics eyes.....in a positive view at that(unlike other resent...paintball based(though not your avrg. play) featured on the news...mumbles)

I can see only good come out of this aswell...and deffently good to see your apart of it..... once again.... good luck to both Mike and yourself....no being camera shy on us now!! LOL

the setup looks good though...equal and reilsitc according to postion...

and yep...cant say I do too much slideing in back(uhhhh un purpous anyway ...eheh)

Props to all thouse involved....cant wait to see how it turns out fully

Pstan
07-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Well crap...........gimme more news earlier next time Bea.........I coulda made this.

P

djbea
07-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, thanks for reading the post and the event was awesome! It will air in September so you can see it on PAX Communications. I will give you the airdates on it once I find out from Modern Paintball.

This was a last minute event, thus the reason for the last minute post. I was trying to make an effort to attract some local Automag members to the stadium in Hoover.

Next time, I will keep on Modern Paintball about letting me know more in advance as far as what the details are of the event. It was fantastic and I believe you will be impressed with the way they presented it for those non-paintballers to view.

It's an event that makes sense to the non-paintballer because it's a timed event. We all understand the clock without having to know the rules of paintball. It's better than the viewers trying to watch 14 people on the field. This event features an individual at a time so it's easier to follow.

In Paintball2xtremes, there will be an article about the World Paintball Skills Championship.

Thanks again for reading!

Best wishes,
Bea

shartley
07-29-2003, 08:29 AM
We talked about similar things quite a long time ago on AO. Good to see it happening. Football and Baseball have similar things and it is good to see Paintball with these types of events. :)

Thanks for posting.

djbea
07-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Good point, Shartley (and thank YOU for posting)!

Like the Slam Dunk is to Basketball, like the Homerun Derby is to Baseball... the WPSC is to Paintball. It's just a way to show some of the action that takes place in each respective sport, and not necessarily an exact measurement about who the best athlete/player is. Afterall, someone who can slam dunk a basketball doesn't mean that they can play defense or know how to rebound as well. In the game, you have to be a good-all-around team player. But, for this sort of an event, it's more of a promotional push to make it more presentable for tv viewers.

Thanks again, Shartley. It's good to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Bea :)