PDA

View Full Version : some cops cant handle paintball

jdev
07-28-2003, 08:01 AM
this is no offense to officer mango and the other policemen of the board.

i thought this story of local officers having to take a week off of work due to non-lethal training using liquid-filled hydro-impact rounds, similar to paintballs, was slightly amusing.

story here:

[stupid news... always changes.. whats up with that?! as soon as I find the article, I will re-post it.]

FreakBaller12
07-28-2003, 08:19 AM
how clsoe do you think they were, velocity
....weird

i like tictacs
07-28-2003, 08:21 AM
must have been using proball ;)

Kevmaster
07-28-2003, 08:32 AM
you mean probounce?

Lee
07-28-2003, 09:06 AM
i don't think they were actual paintballs, i think they were a type of munition used for training that can fired out of an actual firearm.

Frontline Newbie
07-28-2003, 09:10 AM
"The course teaches police officers how to use nonlethal, high-impact beanbags or balls shot from a shotgun instead of bullets."

Muzikman
07-28-2003, 09:30 AM
‘‘If you've ever been hit by a paint ball - that's what it's like. It's a paint ball,'' Carone said.

These sound like the water balls that AGD makes.

Xyxyll
07-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Or those rubber test balls. ;)

jpm
07-28-2003, 09:49 AM
If the maximum effective range is 24 feet either the projectiles have some mad wind friction or the velocity just isn't that great; of course we'd have to know what their definition of "effect" is. Those shotgun bean bags are no joke.

jdev
07-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by jpm
....Those shotgun bean bags are no joke.

i agree. not sure if anyone here has seen jackass the movie.

johnny knoxville took one of these to the solar plexus area. initial hit was a red mark, quite large if I remember correctly.

few days later, a large area, about the size of a basketball [again, if i remember correctly] was all purple and blue. all from one beanbag.

Major Ho
07-28-2003, 11:36 AM
The link is now a story about mosquitoes or something. And those beanbags, they looked like teabags on steroids from what i remember.

BarryTolar
07-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Doesn't sound like Simmunitions. Those are fun. (that would be sarcastic by the way - I'd just about rather be shot with a real bullet as one of those)

Barry

jdev
07-28-2003, 12:09 PM
bah

damnit, now i have to go search for the story somewhere else. or go buy the paper and scan the article..

Recon by Fire
07-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Don't think the cop was a wussy for needing any time off from training like that. Non-lethal methods are seldom as forgiving as paintball!

I used to have a pnuematic stun gun that fired bean bags filled with lead shot. This would knock the crap out of a 300 lbs man from 30 feet away. I missed someone one time and put an impressive hole in the wall :) It was made of aircraft aluminum and similar to a mag-light, after shooting it you could beat the hell out of someone, LOL.

My buddy at a local PD just got a "pepperball gun". It is NOT the same caiber as paintballs and has solid, water filled, and paint "marking" rounds, besides the pepperballs. It shoots at 500 FPS. They also use paintball markers for some SWAT training, their markers are above the 300 FPS limit and they will and do shoot repeatedly at point blank ranges. I have seen my buddy take about 17 shots like that, not the same thing as playing paintball!

speeddemon
07-28-2003, 04:27 PM
My neighbor works for Wackenhut, the security company that that works at the nuclear site near me (they reprocess waste, and make tritium for bombs). Anyways he trains once a month with "paintballs". They are actually a paintfilled cartridge that is fired by a regular pistol at 700 fps. They will go right through a painball mask, and will easily draw blood if not enough clothing is worn. They also leave bruises that make paintball marks look like mosquito bites.

jpm
07-28-2003, 05:13 PM
They also leave bruises that make paintball marks look like mosquito bites.

You clearly haven't seen the mosquitos we have in Indiana this year. I swear I saw a small swarm carry away a large cow. That was right before the 'Tornayda' ripped through ma trailer. :P

Animal Mother
07-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jpm

You clearly haven't seen the mosquitos we have in Indiana this year. I swear I saw a small swarm carry away a large cow. That was right before the 'Tornayda' ripped through ma trailer. :P

hahahaha!

wolverine85929
07-29-2003, 12:28 AM
lol

Steelrat
07-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Simunitions are rounds fired by conventional weapons that have been modified with special barrels, and let me tell you, they HURT. Usually you wear a vest while using them, but someone snuck one under mine. I have a permenant scar there now. A buddy of mine took one at close range in the leg, MASSIVE bruise.

I obviously didn't read the article hes referring to, but if they were shooting bean bag rounds at each other, thats just plain dumb. In fact, the designation from those rounds was changed from "non-lethal" to "less-lethal" out of the realization that they can kill people.

On a side note, ever heard of a pepper ball gun? Its a tippman pro-carbine modified to shoot OC balls. Pretty cool. I see em in all the prisons around here.

Riddler236
07-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Steeratt
I see em in all the prisons around here.

Uh huh. Get around, do we? ;)